The wrong Jesus

samiskimsamiskim Posts: 1,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ben does not do it for me. He doesn't "look" like Jesus, have his strength or gentleness. He can sing - but I am afraid the other two outsang him. Rory has the most wonderful voice - and he doesn't shout - he did it for me - but everyone has a different view.

I am sure, David, Rory (who were my personal favourites) will go on and have the most successful careers in musical theatre as will Roger. I saw him in "The Lion King" and he was wonderful, I can't wait to see David and Rory perform in different musicals. So many contestants from ALW's reality shows have shot to stardom - you don't have to win to land a coveted role in the soon to be released "Les Miserables - Samantha Barks is testament to that!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I think Ben will do ok, although I think he would have 'combusted' like Connie Fisher if he hadn't won, the stress nearly did for him!

Imo, Rory should have won this as I believe he outshone Ben and Roger, but his surge for the winning post came too late; he didn't have the established fan base that Ben and Roger did.

Whatever happens, all the the lads will get at least something out of this, it hasn't all been in vain.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaniGrey wrote: »
    I think Ben will do ok, although I think he would have 'combusted' like Connie Fisher if he hadn't won, the stress nearly did for him!

Imo, Rory should have won this as I believe he outshone Ben and Roger, but his surge for the winning post came too late; he didn't have the established fan base that Ben and Roger did.

Whatever happens, all the the lads will get at least something out of this, it hasn't all been in vain.

I agree with you about Rory, he really went for it last night. Ben's performance in Gethsemane was quite scary, whereas Rory's was controlled and emotional.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I agree with you about Rory, he really went for it last night. Ben's performance in Gethsemane was quite scary, whereas Rory's was controlled and emotional.

Don't you think that Jesus could possibly have been a tad scared at that point?
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member

I think Rory delivered what he promised after being saved the night before. What a pity he left it until the last show to step it up a notch.

Ben will do well, he is a nice guy, but everyone knows who I think should have been in the winner's spot ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scared, yes. Mad, probably not. And I was talking about "scary", which about is what he did to me, not what he was feeling.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member

:D:D

Maybe just a little.

Ben was a bit screechy in his opening song, and although my ear is untrained I thought he struggled with plenty of notes last night. Too shouty for me ..... almost like he is hanging on by a thread and it could all go wrong at any minute. Rory was more in control I thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    :D:D

Maybe just a little.

Ben was a bit screechy in his opening song, and although my ear is untrained I thought he struggled with plenty of notes last night. Too shouty for me ..... almost like he is hanging on by a thread and it could all go wrong at any minute. Rory was more in control I thought.

I completely agree with you. In his last two performances, Ben's definitely been over-singing to achieve the dramatic bits. I actually don't think that Roger would probably have been right in the role, but if you listen to him doing Gethsemane, he didn't even have to try to reach the falsetto, which meant he could concentrate on the "presentation" and not torture himself aiming for the note.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree with you. In his last two performances, Ben's definitely been over-singing to achieve the dramatic bits. I actually don't think that Roger would probably have been right in the role, but if you listen to him doing Gethsemane, he didn't even have to try to reach the falsetto, which meant he could concentrate on the "presentation" and not torture himself aiming for the note.

Yes, I never had any doubts about Roger being able to sing Gethsemane, as in the intial auditon - at least the one we saw - all the guys had to demonstrate their ability to do so. They would never have gotten to boot camp if they failed that initial test, I am sure.

And for anyone else that didn't understand susie's earlier comment:

scared --> :cry:
    scary --> :eek:
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »

I think nerves could have closed his throat but I'm sure with more voice training he'll learn to trust his vocal chords and not over-strain on anything - otherwise he would lose his actual voice very quickly.
  • morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Happy with the outcome ..Liked the show ..Nathan wasn't the best ...and now off to book my tickets :)
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, none of them were ever going to be the 'right' Jesus - so whoever had would have had flaws.

So Ben won not because he was the best possible choice from all available talent - he won because the show was manipulated to allow him to win.

Given the way he messed up 'Who Wants to Live Forever' (one of my favourite Queen songs), there must have been a panic amongst the production team that he was going to fall at the final hurdle - but luckily the comments saved him. Any other competitor would have risked being slated for having ruined the start of the song - but Ben was praised for having pulled it back.

He was never going to be my choice. He is competent but not exciting and certainly not a rock singer. He is someone who has never broken through to lead a major West End show. And I fear that the much talked-about transfer of this production won't happen - so he might have to wait a while longer for another try.

A safe choice on the part of the producers - but not an exciting or interesting one.

Any one who believes that the public really had the final say is deluding themselves. He might as well have had a flashing neon sign above his head from about half way through saying 'I'm the winner - vote for me'

Is he the wrong choice? No more so than any other of the candidates.

Is he the right choice? No
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i mentioned this last night during the show.
    I don't think its fair to open the phone lines at the start of the show,

What is the point of any of them giving their all at the last hurdle if viewers have been voting before hearing them sing one last time?
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a soft spot for David all the way through, but after he went I thought that Ben was the right choice. I liked Rory, but felt his singing was just a little too controlled for the part. Jesus did have an angry side too. I think Rory was just a little too nice.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Lee Mead singing ' Gesthemane' on Youtube. Musically and dramatically fantastic...although the quality if the recording is understandably not top notch.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samiskim wrote: »
    Ben does not do it for me. He doesn't "look" like Jesus, have his strength or gentleness. He can sing - but I am afraid the other two outsang him. Rory has the most wonderful voice - and he doesn't shout - he did it for me - but everyone has a different view.

I am sure, David, Rory (who were my personal favourites) will go on and have the most successful careers in musical theatre as will Roger. I saw him in "The Lion King" and he was wonderful, I can't wait to see David and Rory perform in different musicals. So many contestants from ALW's reality shows have shot to stardom - you don't have to win to land a coveted role in the soon to be released "Les Miserables - Samantha Barks is testament to that!!!
    Hello sami - I'm with you re; David and Rory - my favourites too. For me David was actor first - singer second (but a mighty second at that.) Rory was the best vocalist on the show by a country mile. I'd have opened my wallet to see either of them in the title role of JCS but although neither emerged winners I'm convinced that the opportunity this show afforded them to showcase their talents will serve them well in the future. imo ALW for all the criticism that is heaped upon him does nurture young talent as witnessed by the success of so many contestants on his shows.

Although Ben was not my choice I'm sure he will acquit himself well in the West End and I truly wish him well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Lee Mead singing ' Gesthemane' on Youtube. Musically and dramatically fantastic...although the quality if the recording is understandably not top notch.

I find his interpretation vocally weak and dull ....... he doesn't have the range at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUadyhqTBs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Hello sami - I'm with you re; David and Rory - my favourites too. For me David was actor first - singer second (but a mighty second at that.) Rory was the best vocalist on the show by a country mile. I'd have opened my wallet to see either of them in the title role of JCS but although neither emerged winners I'm convinced that the opportunity this show afforded them to showcase their talents will serve them well in the future. imo ALW for all the criticism that is heaped upon him does nurture young talent as witnessed by the success of so many contestants on his shows.

Although Ben was not my choice I'm sure he will acquit himself well in the West End and I truly wish him well.

I'm sorry, but you think that Rory was the best vocalist on the show??? Out of all of all the 11 finalists?

Yes, Nathan wasn't saved by ALW but that wasn't due to his singing . . . it was due to the fact that he thought that Nathan was a little bit too arrogant and not right for the Jesus role (which I totally disagree with). . . but he was definitely the best vocalist by a mile!!!
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I find his interpretation vocally weak and dull ....... he doesn't have the range at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbUadyhqTBs

I thought that yesterday when I opened the link. I like Lee but he is vocally not suited to the song.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you think that Rory was the best vocalist on the show??? Out of all of all the 11 finalists?

Yes, Nathan wasn't saved by ALW but that wasn't due to his singing . . . it was due to the fact that he thought that Nathan was a little bit too arrogant and not right for the Jesus role (which I totally disagree with). . . but he was definitely the best vocalist by a mile!!!
    imo Rory's voice was superior to anyone else in the show - although initially I hoped David would win because of his acting talent allied to a very good voice.

Although I can't concur with the eulogies heaped on Nathan by his fans I fully appreciate that they are entitled to their opinion - even if those opinions are often accompanied by incredulity that others think differently.

The general attitude seems to be 'unless you agree that Nathan was head and shoulders above everyone else, you are wrong.'

I find such convictions to be extremely arrogant - much like Nathan himself.
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link to Lee Mead singing Gethsemane - I enjoyed it very much - he has such a lovely tone to his voice.

A softer interpretation of the song but very lovely. :)
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, love Lee's version.:)
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted Roger to win
    I wasn't happy when Afnam went out first
    Ben wasn't very good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    imo Rory's voice was superior to anyone else in the show - although initially I hoped David would win because of his acting talent allied to a very good voice.

Although I can't concur with the eulogies heaped on Nathan by his fans I fully appreciate that they are entitled to their opinion - even if those opinions are often accompanied by incredulity that others think differently.

The general attitude seems to be 'unless you agree that Nathan was head and shoulders above everyone else, you are wrong.'

I find such convictions to be extremely arrogant - much like Nathan himself.

I agree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathan was a good shouter imo, by which I mean he excelled on those really loud give-it-all-you've-got notes, but Rory had a much pleasanter tone to his voice - to my ears anyway.

I don't rate Ben at all, I'm afraid, and I thought he was outsung on Gethsemane, but I wish him well. Seems like a nice person.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that some of the song selections were dodgy ie some were presented mostly as rockers although easily capable of singing emotional, quieter songs very well indeed.

I was surprised, that Rory didn't win when it was between him and Ben. I think that Rory has the better voice plus, he was good at engaging an audience in the way he'd need to do, in an arena.

I wonder if Ben came over as more appealling to television viewers ie smaller space appeal -for what's actually arena work. Ben seems like a very nice man and he is, talented but I didn't expect him to win. I thought, " Rory, David or Jon ". I voted for Nathan but actually I don't think that JCS is going to be guarantee of a high profile career for anyone, this time.