Options

Margaret Thatcher: Prime Minister

Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Narrated by Andrew Marr, how long has this been in the can?!

Comments

• Options
    Sky_TechSky_Tech Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Yes I thought it was him and he was only released from hospital not so many days ago.
  • Options
    OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ. Is this going to be like with Nixon? With all the undue respect ushering forth?
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »

Yeh,noticed that vstraight away.I know the Beeb has to be prepared,but with poor Andrew still recovering it does come across a bit,,mawkish.
  • Options
    Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Another Thatch thread...?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    When they announced the programme on the news earlier I instantly though of Drop The Dead Donkey.

If you watched the series you'll know the episode i'm on about :D
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell, how long has this been sitting around? Some of the interviews seem to be about ten years old, judging from the picture quality.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    I might be wrong, but this sounds awfully similar to one of Marrs earlier programs "The History of Modern Britain", in particular the episode devoted to Thatcher.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Bloody hell, how long has this been sitting around? Some of the interviews seem to be about ten years old, judging from the picture quality.

BIB - A very long time I would imagine - Mrs Thatcher has been ill for years and these programmes will have been recorded and ready for showing when the time came. You can be sure that everything is in place, recorded and ready for whatever high profile person pops off any time soon (or certainly the next few years!).
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep your eye out for the dodgey stuff the government sweep under the carpet while this is goin on.

:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    So is The Prisoners not on then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Keep your eye out for the dodgey stuff the government sweep under the carpet while this is goin on.

:cool:

So any specific stuff in mind then? Put it all out here and we can all check back later in the year/decade/century and see just what 'dodgey stuff' was swept under that carpet while we were distracted by the death of Mrs/Baroness Thatcher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    BIB - A very long time I would imagine - Mrs Thatcher has been ill for years and these programmes will have been recorded and ready for showing when the time came. You can be sure that everything is in place, recorded and ready for whatever high profile person pops off any time soon (or certainly the next few years!).

Yeah, I reckon at least a decade. There's stuff that's obviously archive footage, which is to be expected, but there's a lot of old footage masquerading as new that has to be years old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a repeat according to the Radio Times website.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting views from Neil Kinnock on Arthur Scargill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Interesting views from Neil Kinnock on Arthur Scargill.

IMO, Scargill has a lot more to answer for than Thatcher (and I ain't a fan). He sold those miners down the river for his personal political ends. Tragic what he did to them, frankly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    IMO, Scargill has a lot more to answer for than Thatcher (and I ain't a fan). He sold those miners down the river for his personal political ends. Tragic what he did to them, frankly.

So true! But who would want to go down these mines today or even the last decade? That was real hard and dirty work - where are all the would-be miners today?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be odd being interviewed for these type of programmes having to answer in the past tense when someone you know is still alive.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where are all the would-be miners today?

In Romania?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this and either it is a repeated or broad sections of it were culled from another show. In particular, the commentary over the clip of Thatcher using the 'royal we' is definitely a cut and paste job about a documentary from a few years back. I guess they cobbled the show together from old footage and older documentaries. They probably had it 'on ice' along with her obit. I understand that the all the major new outlets have a stock of obituaries and documentaries about high profile figures ready to go when the time comes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a budgie at the time of the miners strike and he used to shout 'Arthur Scargill' :).

Interesting programme.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So any specific stuff in mind then? Put it all out here and we can all check back later in the year/decade/century and see just what 'dodgey stuff' was swept under that carpet while we were distracted by the death of Mrs/Baroness Thatcher.

Will do.. Oh by the way. I take it you still get your world news from the BBC & ITN.. Oh dear :rolleyes: