Latest Root Metrics - Dire Vodafone results

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
The results are in ... and the Vodafone performance is dire which is unlikely to surprise any of us who work in the industry. Years of under investment and uncanny parallels to the performance of Voda Aus before they started spending money.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/rsr/uk

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely true it's more like a decade of no investment really imagine a lot of the kit is still early/mid 90's.

Seems EE won across the board with Three and O2 coming close to each other
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeds_Guy wrote: »
    The results are in ... and the Vodafone performance is dire which is unlikely to surprise any of us who work in the industry. Years of under investment and uncanny parallels to the performance of Voda Aus before they started spending money.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/rsr/uk

It's no surpise to those of us who don't either. My third and final contract is finished with them soon thank God!
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a network fan boy or anything like that... But I've been with Vodafone for years and travelling the country with work I find them really reliable. I do spend most of my time on 2G on the move....but when I'm static in a town or city the 3G speeds are really good (around 10/11/12 Mbps) on both my iPad and iPhone.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What have they been doing with all that money they should have paid as tax?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprise, surprise, the company that doesn't take RootMetrics data out of their customers' allowances are top.

Rootmetrics is absolute bullshit at times.
  • exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    "What have they been doing with all that money they should have paid as tax?"

paying a £72Bn dividend to shareholders which are mostly pension funds i.e. you and me. To put that into perspective, that's almost as much as the other 99 FTSE 100 companies will pay out this year - and all of it will be subject to tax.
    Forum Member
    "Surprise, surprise, the company that doesn't take RootMetrics data out of their customers' allowances are top.

Rootmetrics is absolute bullshit at times."

If that was really the case don't you think Vodafone would have changed their data policy / billing on root metrics speedtests a long time ago so they could "game" the results?
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested to know the weightings RootMetrics places on signal/connectivity, vs data speeds.

For someone who simply wants to call and text, these figures could be misleading: Three does very well for "reliability", but we all know that their 3g only network doesn't cover anywhere like the land mass of Voda's 2g offering - or with the same sort of building penetration.

I think Rootmetrics/the media need to present a greater distinction between the two when reporting these results.

Not that I'm defending Voda you understand: I'm a Three customer who is prepared to forgo some signal strength to enjoy fast, cheap data ;-)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise, the company that doesn't take RootMetrics data out of their customers' allowances are top.

Rootmetrics is absolute bullshit at times.

Worst, uneducated (re testing method) comment ever. The tests are not even based on the ones we as ordinary users do via the app. It is only the ones their employee's do, on their own equipment, at the same time, on set routes, within a set area.

If anything because there is theoretically more people using the Rootmetrics app on Three & EE (because it's allowance exempt & that EE have the most customers so likely statistically more do use the app) it should actually add stress to the network and the professional testing should be slightly worse off due to it, not actually gain from it as you suggested so that logic is just daft.
    Forum Member
    "as you suggested so that logic is just daft."

since when did logic become important in a discussion on this forum? :-)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    exterra wrote: »
    "as you suggested so that logic is just daft."

since when did logic become important in a discussion on this forum? :-)

Ok.. Forgot. I'll switch off the Vulcan side of my brain. ;-)
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    For someone who simply wants to call and text, these figures could be misleading: Three does very well for "reliability", but we all know that their 3g only network doesn't cover anywhere like the land mass of Voda's 2g offering - or with the same sort of building penetration.

The problem is Voda advertise as being good for data. In my office which is in a town centre, we only get 2G data by the window, and at most desks its voice only. All the competition does better.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No surprise once again, good results on EE & Three - I think the best and most modern UK networks.
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    The problem is Voda advertise as being good for data. In my office which is in a town centre, we only get 2G data by the window, and at most desks its voice only. All the competition does better.

Completely agree, it's frustrating, and the reason I left Voda for 3.

I'm arguing the results and reporting should make more of a distinction between raw coverage and data speeds.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst, uneducated (re testing method) comment ever. The tests are not even based on the ones we as ordinary users do via the app. It is only the ones their employee's do, on their own equipment, at the same time, on set routes, within a set area.

If anything because there is theoretically more people using the Rootmetrics app on Three & EE (because it's allowance exempt & that EE have the most customers so likely statistically more do use the app) it should actually add stress to the network and the professional testing should be slightly worse off due to it, not actually gain from it as you suggested so that logic is just daft.

Can you confirm that RootMetrics speed test data usage is exempt from allowances on Three?
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised Vodafone are playing catch up with the competition.

I had a phone call from them this evening asking if I was happy with everything.

I told them that the town I work in in Derbyshire only has GPRS; he told me he expects Ashbourne to be 3G enabled in 2015!

Derby won't be 4G enabled until at least the end of the year whereas both Three, EE (and it appears o2 pretty soon) will allow their customers to access the LTE network.

Hmmm.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did they waste so much money on spectrum, why not have allowed someone else to bid and at least use it properly.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dire ping times I get on Vodafone (or Ovivo in my case) suggests a lack of investment in the backhaul network. Such that data is always going to be slow or congested. But I'd say O2 was as bad, or possibly worse, in my experience.

I agree that the RootMetrics results are suspect and it's not a properly scientific way to measure one operator against another. But, I would expect EE and Three to come out high up for data speeds, and EE for general coverage for voice (over Three which is obviously more limited with no 2G network).

So, the results are probably pretty accurate - but when one network is using the data to claim it's number one, and other networks are perhaps a little unfairly placed in last position, I do think it's a tad unfair.

If only Ofcom still did its own independent testing.
  • ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The dire ping times I get on Vodafone (or Ovivo in my case) suggests a lack of investment in the backhaul network. Such that data is always going to be slow or congested. But I'd say O2 was as bad, or possibly worse, in my experience.

I agree that the RootMetrics results are suspect and it's not a properly scientific way to measure one operator against another. But, I would expect EE and Three to come out high up for data speeds, and EE for general coverage for voice (over Three which is obviously more limited with no 2G network).

So, the results are probably pretty accurate - but when one network is using the data to claim it's number one, and other networks are perhaps a little unfairly placed in last position, I do think it's a tad unfair.

I agree, RootMetrics seem to rave on about EE and EE seem to rave on about RootMetrics, must be some money being exchanged!

I like what T-Mobile USA did and actually utilise SpeedTest.net stats. Whilst this doesn't showcase call drops and signal stats it does rake in much more data (I run loads of speedtests every month) that is likely to be more up-to-date.

If Ofcom did tests, there'd still be the underlying issue of out-of-date data (for example, I doubt Three allowed RootMetrics access to their 4G network whilst they were testing - even though the roll-out is rather small) and they may test one network at a time of day that isn't busy, and other network somewhere else at a time of day that is really congested. Sadly there' never going to be a perfect solution for rating the best network.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    What bothers me about these tests in fact any test that is publicised, it is all subjective. There isn't a one hit kill way of providing accurate objective data that isn't skewed by what area of the country you live or what kind of building you happen to reside in. My own experience of Vodafone is something completely different to that shown by Rootmetrics, in the area I live they have the most robust signal and service compared to any of the other providers. 4G signal is regularly at 4 bars and above, the handover between frequencies is genuinely seemless. Yes its no secret Vodafone probably had under invested in its network over the years, but now it is rectifying this and it should be judged accordingly.

I would challenge people to go into areas that have been 4G enabled (on Vodafone) and measure the service then against the other operators. EE has been investing heavily in the 4G network yet seemingly neglecting its 3G/2G network for calls, its strange how one regularly hears of users having issues with dropped or failed calls on EE but not from O2 or Vodafone.

I have both Three and Vodafone for my two handsets, Three generally speaking is good but its signal is rather poor compared to that of Vodafone. I think when all is said and done the way Vodafone is rolling out its network will produce better results over the longer term.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    What bothers me about these tests in fact any test that is publicised, it is all subjective. There isn't a one hit kill way of providing accurate objective data that isn't skewed by what area of the country you live or what kind of building you happen to reside in. My own experience of Vodafone is something completely different to that shown by Rootmetrics, in the area I live they have the most robust signal and service compared to any of the other providers. 4G signal is regularly at 4 bars and above, the handover between frequencies is genuinely seemless. Yes its no secret Vodafone probably had under invested in its network over the years, but now it is rectifying this and it should be judged accordingly.

I would challenge people to go into areas that have been 4G enabled (on Vodafone) and measure the service then against the other operators. EE has been investing heavily in the 4G network yet seemingly neglecting its 3G/2G network for calls, its strange how one regularly hears of users having issues with dropped or failed calls on EE but not from O2 or Vodafone.

I have both Three and Vodafone for my two handsets, Three generally speaking is good but its signal is rather poor compared to that of Vodafone. I think when all is said and done the way Vodafone is rolling out its network will produce better results over the longer term.

I find Vodafone service great. Tbh. Good , deep blanket coverage for 2/3/4g within the Glasgow area. Good quality calls, fast data and good in building coverage.

When I as on EE I had good 4g speeds but terrible problems with voice. Lots and lots of dropped calls, many missed calls.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 years of minimal investment ditto O2. You reap what you sow.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get a good Vodafone 4G signal here. Indeed, the recent upgrade work seems to have improved O2 too - such that I now have 4G almost always, not 4G one minute and GPRS or EDGE the next (does O2 have 3G? ;-) ).

I'm in a very built up area, with a big business park (housing EE's HQ!) and a university. Yet, while Vodafone has given us 4G it clearly has many old sites that are only 2G and 3G, and with a pathetic backhaul connection serving them.

Hence speed tests of 700+ms and speeds of 0.02Mbps. Yet, clearly if I used a 4G enabled site, I'd expect speeds to be very decent.

Just as Three is enabling a number of sites as 4G but still having 3G in-between, even 4G covered areas still have huge gaps, and the speed drop is even more significant.

Fall back to 3G on Three and you're probably still going to have pretty impressive speeds. Most of the 3G network has DC-HSPA for one, and the backhaul has been upgraded near constantly to cope with demand.

Fall back to 3G on Vodafone and, well, you may as well as give up. It's not much better than 2G in any area with a high level of users. As Hatfield has the business park, lots of residents, a university and the A1(M) motorway, it's next to useless.

However, I only speak for where I'm using my devices and doing tests. I have no doubt that if you're in an area without such high levels of usage, you might still find Vodafone to be usable.

I am also talking solely about data here, not voice quality or reliability. Again, I'd expect all of the networks with good 2G coverage to provide a reliable voice service. If they can't do that, God help us all!
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    They do - I believe their next round of tests are due to be released in the next few months. I suspect it won't include 3 4G either though.
    I agree, RootMetrics seem to rave on about EE and EE seem to rave on about RootMetrics, must be some money being exchanged!
    There is.
    If Ofcom did tests, there'd still be the underlying issue of out-of-date data (for example, I doubt Three allowed RootMetrics access to their 4G network whilst they were testing - even though the roll-out is rather small) and they may test one network at a time of day that isn't busy, and other network somewhere else at a time of day that is really congested. Sadly there' never going to be a perfect solution for rating the best network.
    No, if the data is scientifically collected that isn't an issue.

Epitiro's measurement platform (which OFCOM used last time) measures all networks at the same time in the same location. There's a set of locations, all with static probes, all simultaneously connected to each network. On drive/mobile tests they'll carry four handsets, again each connected to a different network, and testing at the same time.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised Vodafone are playing catch up with the competition.

I had a phone call from them this evening asking if I was happy with everything.

I told them that the town I work in in Derbyshire only has GPRS; he told me he expects Ashbourne to be 3G enabled in 2015!

Derby won't be 4G enabled until at least the end of the year whereas both Three, EE (and it appears o2 pretty soon) will allow their customers to access the LTE network.

Hmmm.
    I was in ashbourne the other week I'm on three, my partner us on EE sat in the center having a cream tea both with excellent 3g speeds, think it was from the large most on the hill outside of town..