Options

Red Dwarf XI

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    This series seems to be marmite, but I've absolutely been loving the return of the Dwarfs. Although I have seen episode 5 and think that's the weakest episode so far.

I'm enjoying the new series but it's lacking the clever and thoughtful character-driven humour that used to be such a big part of the early series, The early series had less in the way of special effects, so the writers had to put more 'effort' into character interaction.

Having re-watched series 2-4 recently - in honour of the new series starting - the best Rimmer-centred episodes are the ones that are an equal mix of him being his usual smeghead self and the more tragic elements of the character as a result of his childhood, which Give and Take briefly touched upon again a week earlier. Rimmer's character used to create equal amounts of annoyance and sympathy in viewers thanks to clever and thoughtful writing and this was missing in the latest episode, it was just Rimmer being a smeghead as he became obsessed with having a bit of power. I found some scenes funny and/or interesting but in terms of character writing, it's not as good as early series Rimmer episodes.

Dimension Jump was a great episode partly because of Chris Barrie's ability to create two very different characters and party because the audience was finding it tragic to watch Arnold behave in the jealous way that he did over Ace and Lister being friends, which came on top of the 'sad' episode opening where Lister, Cat and Kryten are attempting to sneak off the ship without Rimmer waking up. The humour and sympathy came from that, rather than being forced.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the new series but it's lacking the clever and thoughtful character-driven humour that used to be such a big part of the early series, The early series had less in the way of special effects, so the writers had to put more 'effort' into character interaction.

Having re-watched series 2-4 recently - in honour of the new series starting - the best Rimmer-centred episodes are the ones that are an equal mix of him being his usual smeghead self and the more tragic elements of the character as a result of his childhood, which Give and Take briefly touched upon again a week earlier. Rimmer's character used to create equal amounts of annoyance and sympathy in viewers thanks to clever and thoughtful writing and this was missing in the latest episode, it was just Rimmer being a smeghead as he became obsessed with having a bit of power. I found some scenes funny and/or interesting but in terms of character writing, it's not as good as early series Rimmer episodes.

Dimension Jump was a great episode partly because of Chris Barrie's ability to create two very different characters and party because the audience was finding it tragic to watch Arnold behave in the jealous way that he did over Ace and Lister being friends, which came on top of the 'sad' episode opening where Lister, Cat and Kryten are attempting to sneak off the ship without Rimmer waking up. The humour and sympathy came from that, rather than being forced.

I agree. Actually the most recent episode was probably my favourite of the current series and it's not a coincidence that it doesn't involve RImmer too much.

I would have thought that the reason is simply the absence of Rob Grant since season six.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Actually the most recent episode was probably my favourite of the current series and it's not a coincidence that it doesn't involve RImmer too much.

I would have thought that the reason is simply the absence of Rob Grant since season six.

He always had that though when he had any sniff of power. To me, he was acting like he did in Quarantine when he has that Holographic virus. Mind you I thought Barrie was on top form in "Officer Rimmer"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    He always had that though when he had any sniff of power. To me, he was acting like he did in Quarantine when he has that Holographic virus. Mind you I thought Barrie was on top form in "Officer Rimmer"

He was, which is why I did enjoy the episode, just not as much as the previous one Give or Take. I haven't seen Krysis yet.

The best Rimmer episodes are those where he's mostly a smeghead but with a glimpse of humanity / sympathy thrown in.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree and think and thought Backwards was superior to Last Human (both alternate sequels to Better Than Life).

Grant is the better writer in my opinion - seven and eight had their moments but were not a patch on one through six.

This series is enjoyable enough but lacks depth - and the endings are far too abrupt for my liking - I would like to have actually seen the Rimmer Monster blasted to kingdom come.

For the record Dimension Jump may very well be my favourite episode of all time - both comic and tragic in equal measure and with a poignancy that is very personal to me.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Just goes to show. I thought Zapped was good (never seen Yonderland) but find The Peep Show poor and not worth watching.

Yonderland is special its quirky and sweet, peep show is often very sad, I may have liked Zapped if I didnt watch yonderland, but it couldnt stand up to it

I hope ep 5 of red dwarf is better than 4
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been enjoying this series of Red Dwarf more than the previous few. Almost like the good old days :D
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    This series is enjoyable enough but lacks depth - and the endings are far too abrupt for my liking - I would like to have actually seen the Rimmer Monster blasted to kingdom come.

THIS. They're edited to death. Really need to be 15 minutes longer.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    This series seems to be marmite, but I've absolutely been loving the return of the Dwarfs. Although I have seen episode 5 and think that's the weakest episode so far.
    Agree, again it's a bit of a rehash of previous episodes. This one is based from Legion.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    episode 5 i did not like at all first 4 good but 5 no way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 5 was one of the weakest of the series for me, I only raised a smile a few times and I only found half the storyline interesting. The mind boggles at those people saying this series could be the best EVER.. :confused:

I still think part of the problem - for me - is that with the better special effects these days, there's less focus on the characters themselves generating the humour, which is what the show relied on back in the 80's and 90's.

Kryten had a few poignant moments and Rimmer was almost - almost - nice :o but I didn't enjoy the episode that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 5 was one of the weakest of the series for me, I only raised a smile a few times and I only found half the storyline interesting. The mind boggles at those people saying this series could be the best EVER.. :confused:

I still think part of the problem - for me - is that with the better special effects these days, there's less focus on the characters themselves generating the humour, which is what the show relied on back in the 80's and 90's.

Kryten had a few poignant moments and Rimmer was almost - almost - nice :o but I didn't enjoy the episode that much.

It goes to show how different taste impact our view as episode 5 was my favourite of the series so far.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    THIS. They're edited to death. Really need to be 15 minutes longer.

Yes, the slot is 40 minutes but the ep rarely runs longer than 31/32 minutes including ad break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes to show how different taste impact our view as episode 5 was my favourite of the series so far.

I could understand this series being a favourite with those people who'd never loved the early series because of a lack of special effects etc but when I re-watch episodes like Queeg, Marooned and Camille, the quality of character writing just doesn't compare. Since Kryten is one of my favourite characters, I wasn't expecting to be disappointed as much as I was.

Oh well, hopefully I'll enjoy the next one - last in the series - more.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good solid series. After watching them all a couple of times, Give and take, Can of Worms and Samsara were my faves followed by Twentica, Officer Rimmer and Krysis. Looking forward to XII (shame didn't get to see the filming this time, saw Lemons from X). XIII and XIV are more or less a certainty now.
  • Options
    FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this series. It's never going to be as good as it was at it's peak but it's still funny and a good watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could understand this series being a favourite with those people who'd never loved the early series because of a lack of special effects etc but when I re-watch episodes like Queeg, Marooned and Camille, the quality of character writing just doesn't compare. Since Kryten is one of my favourite characters, I wasn't expecting to be disappointed as much as I was.

Oh well, hopefully I'll enjoy the next one - last in the series - more.

It's all relative I suppose:

If I was ranking the different series I say in general that:

Season 1: B+
    Season 2-5: A+
    Season 6: A
    Season 7: B-
    Season 8: C
    Back to Earth: B
    Season 10: C+
    Season 11: B-

I just thought that episode 5 was the best of a mediocre bunch.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4 did seem to end rather abruptly as it could have done with a least a few more minutes worth of scenes at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all relative I suppose:

If I was ranking the different series I say in general that:

Season 1: B+
    Season 2-5: A+
    Season 6: A
    Season 7: B-
    Season 8: C
    Back to Earth: B
    Season 10: C+
    Season 11: B-

I just thought that episode 5 was the best of a mediocre bunch.

Upon a re-watch, episode 5 wasn't quite so bad.

An episode of Red Dwarf that's just OK is still better than most so called sitcoms these days.
  • Options
    FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    With it being on Dave, you'd think they'd be allowed some longer episodes if they wished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 6 was good as well. A few missteps, a lot of recycled stuff, but generally funny.

Odd episode to end the season on though.
  • Options
    UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I thought that it was an odd one to end on too, but there were some great episodes there.
    Still waiting for Norman Lovett and Hattie Hayridge to be brought back. Please make it happen!

Anybody want any toast?
  • Options
    JedHawkJedHawk Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    How were you able to watch the series before they were aired on Dave?
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a solid 7 out of 10 for me so far (not seen tonight's yet).

It will never reach the height of series 3-6 again (which were 8.5, 10, 10 and 10 respectively), but is still very entertaining.

I just wish there was a bit more depth and far more structured endings which seem to be too abrupt.

But it's better than I would have expected.

Good stuff. :)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    JedHawk wrote: »
    How were you able to watch the series before they were aired on Dave?

UKTV online put them up a few days earlier.