The Ratings Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Looks like that's the only element of T4 moving to E4 too - it's just Supernanny on E4 and things like Frasier on C4. Also a shame they're not giving it a later slot on E4 - seems stupid giving one of the classic examples of hangover TV a pre-9am start.

Much later and you're clashing with 'stEnders, though. And it does have a later slot, on Saturdays. And on +1!
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Have you given any soap a chance or are you just pre-disposed to discredit them as valuable to society because they're just "not your thing"?

I've watched and enjoyed all three of the main soaps at some point in the past (quite a few years ago now). I know generally what's happening in the programmes because I read the papers and the Radio Times and there are other members of my family who watch them, but now I can't abide to be in the same room as them if I can help it because thery're all so depressing.

And they're all on far far far far far far far far far far too much. I hate it when people say American TV is better than British TV (most of the crappy programmes and genres that drag down the quality of British TV are also on American TV), but at least they don't swamp their primetime schedules with wall-to-wall bloody soap operas.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I hate it when people say American TV is better than British TV (most of the crappy programmes and genres that drag down the quality of British TV are also on American TV), but at least they don't swamp their primetime schedules with wall-to-wall bloody soap operas.
    Wall-to-wall procedurals instead. Between the big four networks they'll schedule around 20 hours of procedurals Sunday-Friday.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Wall-to-wall procedurals instead. Between the big four networks they'll schedule around 20 hours of procedurals Sunday-Friday.

Are you including quasi procedurals such as The Good Wife in that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    In case anyone missed STV's news yesterday that they shouldn't be opting out of ITV1 dramas in the future...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-03-05/big-itv-shows-set-to-return-to-scotland-as-stv-signs-new-affiliate-deal

I'm more intrigued by the review of Titanic in the Related News. Recommended reading for Robbie Sykes.:D

STV opt-outs were always about the money and nothing to do with a regional identity. Why can't these TV executives ever be honest? Most of STV's regional opt-outs are about as Scottish as cossack dancing.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what year you compare with, the story remains the same and it's not good for EE. Here's 2009:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a149120/soaps-ratings-roundup-march-9.html

Basically unlike the other big two soaps it is currently at record lows for this time of year, comfortably so in fact. But all anybody wants to say about it on here is that (1) it's not a crisis, and (2) Heather's getting killed off soon so it will all be okay. :confused:
    I would just like people to stop getting hysterical about the ratings. Everyone knows they arent good figures but the numbers have only been bad for 6 weeks or so and that is without anything major going on. I wouldnt say that constiutues a crisis. Heather getting murdered is a big storyline and ratings in the next couple of weeks will give us a clearer idea how bad the problem is.

Firstly I'd question the use of the phrase 'historic lows' when using only four data points but that's another matter.

The important factor here is that people seem incapable of separating disappointing numbers from crisis levels. Still being comfortably above 8 million (regardless of the time of the year) does not constitute a crisis for any show at this point and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. To say that the show is under performing is absolutely true but any number of shows under perform without being close to crisis point. The general use of the word crisis in regards to any of the soaps is usually stretching credibility anyway given the way these shows run in peaks and troughs and inevitably tend to bounce back.

By all means lets discuss the fact that EastEnders isn't performing as well as expected or as well as it has in previous years but lets not become hysterical about the whole thing. Its not a crisis. It might very well develop into one in the coming months but we're absolutely not there yet. And the point that's being made regarding the up coming murder plot line is that its the shows first major storyline since January/February so that might be the best time to gauge exactly what's going on with the show. If that doesn't produce noticeable uplift in the shows numbers then clearly there's a deeper rooted problem that needs to be addressed than the complete lack of compelling story lines currently on screen.

Personally I think EastEnders biggest problem is that absolutely everything single character on the show is astonishingly unlikeable (even the characters that used to be likeable) and the character writing has taken on Heroes like levels of inconsistency. That's the issue they need to tackle rather than the lack of major story lines because if I don't care about these people I don't care when you kill them off. And inevitably I'm sure EastEnders is heading toward some kind of mass slaughter by the end of the year...
    Excellent post, couldnt have put it better myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like I say, American TV not better than British TV. But at least they done show bloody peak-time soap opera.:mad: (;))

Still, it's easy enough for me to avoid the soaps. Catch up with Pointless on the iPlayer, watch some classic comedy on Gold (they've just finished a daily rerun of the magnificent Porridge:) - to be replaced by the dire Green Green Grass from Thursday.:mad:), seek up a likeable pop song on the music channels or come onto Digital Spy and have a good rant.:D
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 20 different dramas though - probably of which a quarter or more are new every year.

Ratings and schedules aside it's also worrying how few stars the soap machine producers. Maybe it's because ambition here gets knocked down but when Aussie stars finish their stint in Neighbours or Home and Away they don't think twice about trying their luck in the States - and quite a few achieve it too either in film or TV. Here the most many big name soap stars seem to be able to get is a guest spot in Casualty - especially now The Bill has gone. Obviously some actors end up going in different directions but it's a difficult bubble for them to burst out of.

And I've talked before about soap episodes being commissioned for slots they know full well won't exist - with EastEnders if you take the Olympics, Sport Relief/Children in Need, perhaps one for the Jubilee and probably at least a weeks worth of episodes for Euro 2012 that's pretty much a month of episodes being produced for slots that don't actually exist.

Corrie and Emmerdale too will have roughly a week of episodes which will need to be placed elsewhere in the schedules, though I suspect ITV will overlap Wednesday and Thursday episodes of Corrie for a period before the Thursday edition is dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you including quasi procedurals such as The Good Wife in that?
    It is a procedural. Its a simple case of the week procedural and I have no idea why people can't admit that and dress it up with phrases like 'quasi procedural'.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a procedural. Its a simple case of the week procedural and I have no idea why people can't admit that and dress it up with phrases like 'quasi procedural'.

It'd be unwise to put it in the same category as, say, NCIS, Castle or Bones. There are several long running storylines which go through all of the series, many run on into the next series, and they're not subliminal ones. If a viewer missed a few episodes it'd be quite hard to get back into it, unlike a true procedural.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 20 different dramas though - probably of which a quarter or more are new every year.
    That's debatable. There's only so many ways to disguise that these are all basically the same show in ever so slightly different clothes.
    Ratings and schedules aside it's also worrying how few stars the soap machine producers.
    To put it bluntly a lot of our soap stars aren't attractive enough to be successful in the US or at the very least don't have the right image. Not a problem the Australian soap stars have.

And in the UK it becomes very difficult for them to break away from their soap characters.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nation has to remember that Eastenders is not just for Christmas......:p
    I think half the problem for Eastenders is that, when there isnt much going on it just comes across as bland and cold-the sets have always looked cold and unwelcoming imo and they have always found it difficult for whatever reason to introduce humour as an escape from the bland periods.

Thinking back to the 25th anniversary and the storyline then, there was such a buzz around the show-unfortunately a host of key characters have gone since then and its feeling the effects. However it has gone through these periods before-as Coronation Street has done.

Wasnt going to watch Prisoners Wives but somehow got hooked-have to say far better than I ever imagined it would be. Deserved a few more viewers imo.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should rename this the "Eastenders Ratings Crisis Thread" given that seems to all anyone wants to talk about. Or perhaps "Eastenders Ratings Crisis (Tuesdays and Saturdays) thread". :rolleyes:

At least you have got it out of your systems now, because I suppose nobody will say a dickie bird tomorrow when tonight's
    overnights come out...

And we are of course talking about same day viewing. The ratings for last nights soaps won't officially come out until a week next Monday.
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Excellent rating, including +1 it came 2nd to Whitechapel.

An absurd statement, if you go away and think about it...
    I'm more intrigued by the review of Titanic in the Related News. Recommended reading for Robbie Sykes.:D

Adds to the generally emerging picture that Fellowes has dished up a turd.

Great news... ;)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Five short teaser promos itv1 are currently trailing for their Titanic drama: http://www.itv.com/titanic/ (video at 05:40)
    US Ratings Monday March 5

NBC
    8PM: The Voice – 5.8 [16.32]
    9PM: The Voice – 6.3 [17.00]
    10PM: Smash – 2.7 [7.87]

The CW
    8PM: America's Next Top Model [r] – 0.5 [1.35]
    9PM: Hart of Dixie [r] – 0.4 [1.07]
    Great rating for The Voice, think itll beat Idol this week. Smash has done alright.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's much like the discussion that was had about a certain other show on ITV1 late last year - Eastenders is still over 8m, so it's not the end of the world and some would say that no show at that level can be in a crisis. But it's undoubtedly underperforming just now, and not just in comparison to the competition.

NBC got the benefit of repeats on the other side and while Idol might see a similar rise on Wednesday, I don't think it will be enough to take the #1 spot for the week (they tied last week). Perhaps more importantly, that 2.7 for Smash (which held up in finals) must be a huge relief for Bob Greenblatt.

Some factoids from RTL's financial results yesterday: X Factor is now in 29 territories (up from 21 in 2010) while Got Talent now airs in 45 (up from 39 in 2010). Celebrity Juice exceeds ITV2's primetime average by 550%! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    NBC got the benefit of repeats on the other side and while Idol might see a similar rise on Wednesday, I don't think it will be enough to take the #1 spot for the week (they tied last week). Perhaps more importantly, that 2.7 for Smash (which held up in finals) must be a huge relief for Bob Greenblatt.
    Its going to be interesting to see what they do with Smash next season (and I think we can all agree it'll be back next season at this point). Do they think it'll be strong enough to hold its own away from The Voice in the Fall or will they hold it back until midseason again to keep it paired with The Voice? That's a big decision particularly as it means taking a Voice lead-in away from a new show...
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting whether the Marilyn musical continues into season 2 of Smash or will they do a new musical? I reckon they'll continue with the Marilyn musical storyline for at least half of next season. Isn't there 15 episodes rather than the usual 13?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Five short teaser promos itv1 are currently trailing for their Titanic drama: http://www.itv.com/titanic/ (video at 05:40)

Sorry if i've missed it. But has there been a definate launch date for the first Titanic episode?

Another thing, any one know what's replacing The Biggest Loser on Tuesday's when it finishes next week? Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season one of Smash is indeed 15 episodes. Matching up with The Voice's run I believe. God knows what they're going to do with it creatively going forward though. Depends how quickly they burn through story this season I suppose.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about soaps is that they carry a lot of momentum.

Their audiences will always give them time to sort themselves out, unlike most other programmes on TV.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Secret Of Crickley Hall to be made into a BBC1 drama...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17273755
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    whilst better than last weeks ratings, Whitechapels ratings this series are no better than S2s. Still they are healthy I think this series has proved the creators can move beyond copy cat killers, and TBH the Steve Pemberton character sometimes feels surplus to requirements.

Meanwhile I am trying to work out if its just me or is DC Kent meant to fancy Chandler?

BIB -Yes!!!!:)
    so do we think these figures are good enough for Whitechapel to be recommissioned?
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of a politically biased move by BBC Scotland there then.

Reading the excellent earlier link on the events of that day in 1997 I wonder how much the National Anthem would feature now in coverage. I suspect it would follow the announcement itself but that would probably be it.

I don't think the BBC Scotland night was just a relentless Party Political Broadcast for the SNP, presumably the idea was to compare this historic week for Scotland with its past history. In December they did get to do a Scottish Sport Night on Saturday night BBC2, that got on the cover of the Scottish Radio Times.

You only have to look at the death of the Queen Mother to see how much it was toned down in just five years, her death was announced at 5.30 and within just over two hours ITV were back showing the likes of Stars In Their Eyes, In fact loads got on that night, the Beeb showed Casualty, albeit on BBC2, and Man And Boy, their big drama based on the Tony Parsons book, and ITV showed Stars In Their Eyes, Denis Nordern's Laughter File and The Premiership, the last two on time as well. Whereas before Diana there was discussion about how there'd be ten days of nothing but ballet and military bands. And still people moaned, I remember some idiot writing into the Guardian saying "Thank you to Channel Four for its Saturday night UNCHANGED". All ITV got rid of was Blind Date!
    And they're all on far far far far far far far far far far too much.

Well, you say this, but since 2000 they've only added one episode each of 'stEnders, Corrie and Emmerdale. What has changed, in terms of Corrie at least, is the scheduling is now so crap it seems like they're on all the time. If it was spread out through the week and always done and dusted by eight o'clock, it would seem much less dominant.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE 8.153m

Emmerdale 7.544m. (+1 125k)
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    EE 8.153m

Emmerdale 7.544m. (+1 125k)
    Only 0.6million between the two soaps, thats very close for a Tuesday night.
This discussion has been closed.