Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Race
    Live - 3.27m (43.7%)
    * 15-minute peak: 4.9m (46.0%) @ 09:30
    * 5-minute peak: 5.12m
    From Kevin Bakhurst on Twitter:

- Chinese Grand Prix live on BBC1 ave 2.9m (39.4% share) - peak 4.1m #F1

Assuming, and its a big assumption, that the live figure was roughly the same as last year, then I would say Sky live had an average of ~0.4m and a peak in the ~0.8m or 0.9m range...
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Assuming, and its a big assumption, that the live figure was roughly the same as last year, then I would say Sky live had an average of ~0.4m and a peak in the ~0.8m or 0.9m range...

Spot on with that assumption,
    Chinese Grand Prix on BBC One got 2.9m viewers average with a 4.1m peak. Sky F1 got 0.48m viewers with 0.854m peak.

https://twitter.com/#!/juliantelly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as predicted - and not unexpected - the Sky F1 audience plummets when against BBC, although I think they will be happy with a peak of 854k.

I work out the averages split to be 86% vs 14%, with the peak split about 83% vs 17%.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    so overall, audience figures are unchanged between last year and this year.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as predicted - and not unexpected - the Sky F1 audience plummets when against BBC, although I think they will be happy with a peak of 854k.

How do Sky's average/peak figures compare to their first two exclusive races?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    How do Sky's average/peak figures compare to their first two exclusive races?

Australia - 582k average, 1.02m peak
    Malaysia - 906k average, 1.50m peak
    China - 480k average, 854k peak
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Australia - 526k average, 1.02m peak
    Malaysia - 960k average, 1.50m peak

Any idea why the viewing figures vary so much, especially between Malaysia and China? Did the Malaysian race start later? Or is it more likely because Malaysia had two Brits on the first row of the grid?

Edit - forget I asked, I see now the China race was on BBC. D'oh!!!
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Any idea why the viewing figures vary so much, especially between Malaysia and China? Did the Malaysian race start later?

Malaysia started 1 hour later than China (plus it had the red flag which extended the race by something like 45mins-1hr).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Malaysia started 1 hour later than China (plus it had the red flag which extended the race by something like 45mins-1hr).

Thanks. I have now realised the China race was also live on the BBC. I thought it was an interesting moment when Martin Brundle and David Coulthard walked past each other on pit row, probably already been mentioned on this thread.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia - 582k average, 1.02m peak
    Malaysia - 906k average, 1.50m peak

Looking at those figures and the pro BBC skew on this thread, Sky must be over the moon with those figures.

It will be interesting to compare the F1 channel's reach figures for the three types of weekends; exclusive race/shared race/no race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at those figures and the pro BBC skew on this thread, Sky must be over the moon with those figures.

It will be interesting to compare the F1 channel's reach figures for the three types of weekends; exclusive race/shared race/no race.

There is no pro BBC skew (or pro Sky skew) on this thread in my view. I imagine they will be very pleased that it peaked at nearly 1 million against the BBC. It will only be in Spain when it will be more obvious how much Sky are knocking off BBC as there will be no re-runs/highlights to factor in, just a straight live versus live comparison.

I've managed to get the qualifying figures for BBC (thanks rzt!) and I've posted a comparison here, will post on DS in the morning when I know the BBC re-run figure.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

What "pro BBC skew"??!!

It seems to be about 50/50 on this thread.
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I just wish the BBC had a higher bitrate for their HD channel. Yesterday was my last race on Sky as I'm cancelling, but am going to miss the higher quality HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chinese Grand Prix - Ratings Roundup
    Qualifying - 1.96 million (0.63m + 1.33m)
    Race - 4.42 million (2.44m + 1.98m)

Qualifying - 2.9 million (1.0m + 1.9m)
    Race - 4.63 million (3.23m + 1.40m)

Qualifying - 2.30 million (1.13m + 1.17m)
    Race - 4.70 million (3.17m + 1.53m)

Qualifying - 2.93 million (1.38m + 1.55m)
    Race - 4.74 million (3.27m + 1.47m)
    * 5-minute live peak: 5.12m

Qualifying
    Sky Live - ???
    BBC Live - 1.09m (30.8%)
    BBC Re-Run - 1.17m (11.9%)
    Total = 2.28m BBC only

Race
    Sky Live - 480k
    * 15-minute peak: 856k
    * 5-minute peak: 887k
    BBC Live - 2.85m (39.4%)
    * 15-minute peak: 4.1m
    * 5-minute peak: 4.21m
    BBC Re-Run - 1.6m (12.6%)
    Total = 4.93m
    * highest Chinese Grand Prix figure ever

As I thought, when BBC and Sky are live, the figures as a whole will be higher, whereas when only Sky are live the figures will be lower because people that already know the result are unlikely to watch the BBC highlights. Great race total in any event.

Qualifying should be ~2.5m or 2.6m, although we won't know for definite it seems until BARB updates next Monday.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still seems less people are watching the race at the 'normal' time then before. I wonder if this is due to the confusion in live and non live races on BBC TV.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    It still seems less people are watching the race at the 'normal' time then before. I wonder if this is due to the confusion in live and non live races on BBC TV.

what do you mean by 'normal time'? Do you mean live or do you mean the daytime repeat?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    I only lasted about 10 laps with the BBC coverage (I wanted to see what they were like), but after that I just switched back to Sky for the rest of the race. When it comes down to a straight choice between the two, I just can't see a reason to choose BBC at the moment.

The commentary itself is inferior.

What about the fact your paying to watch the same thing twice? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what do you mean by 'normal time'? Do you mean live or do you mean the daytime repeat?

We taped the race, got up around 9, and watched it then, while carefully avoiding finding out who had won. That is what I read into the comment about not watching the race at "normal" time. Not sure how that would have been represented in the viewing figures were we a BARB household, but I think it would have shown up the same as if we had watched it as it was being broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the fact your paying to watch the same thing twice? ;)

Although I would normally choose to watch the BBC if it was showing the same event as a commercial channel (e.g. the World Cup final), given F1 on Sky has no ads during the race, a better HD picture quality (apparently), and an excellent broadcast team, I will also probably choose to watch the Sky broadcast over the BBC.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have always recorded races then watched them as soon as waking up, no alarm setting since VHS but with SKY+ etc its just the way now.
    Finding with both BBC / SKY being so good its worth watching both coverage, but whizzing through a lot of the padding. When it was just BBC tended to sit through from beginning to end, now for the first time fast forward kicks in.
    There are things to learn from either, so its all good, never been so happy with telly F1.
    When time zones are back to Europe then I guess more UK people will watch live.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sky will be happy with those figures.

The point is that if you compare to Malaysia, Sky has retained over 50% of its audience. Also need to allow for fact China was an hour earlier (ie worse slot) and Sky had an extra 30 mins outro for China which will depress the average on a like for like basis.

So over 50% of Sky viewers, given the choice of Sky or BBC, stuck with Sky. Not massively over 50% but still comfortably over 50%. Probably about 60% if you adjust Malaysia slightly down for the above factors (ie slot + outro). I don't think they could ask for anything more than that.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first 20 laps with the Beeb, then did 10 laps with James Allen's commentary and red button SD before finishing the race with Sky. Have to say, I found the Sky coverage easily the most preferable - wasn't expecting that before the season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    In my first ever post :)

Just wanted to say,

F1 being shown by two broadcasters is for me fantastic. To see how popular the sport has become is great!

I love the sport that much that i would happily watch it on playboy tv with 3 blonde bimbo's presenting (Brundle commentating of course!) than not being able to watch it at all.

I watch the build up on the beeb (if live) race on sky then jump back to the beeb for post race.

Anyway looks like it's going be quite possible the best season ever (i hope)

Oh and i'm a Ferrari fan..... :)
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my first ever post :)

Just wanted to say,

F1 being shown by two broadcasters is for me fantastic. To see how popular the sport has become is great!

I love the sport that much that i would happily watch it on playboy tv with 3 blonde bimbo's presenting (Brundle commentating of course!) than not being able to watch it at all.

I watch the build up on the beeb (if live) race on sky then jump back to the beeb for post race.

Anyway looks like it's going be quite possible the best season ever (i hope)

Oh and i'm a Ferrari fan..... :)

Get out!

Welcome Strokeofluck87 to our wonderful world! Nice to see new people around because it makes me feel less new. Hopefully you bring us a Stroke of luck. Although I don't know how a stroke can be lucky.

You have 87 at the end is that a date or a number? 1987 the year Thatcher won again:(. God I hated the 80's.

Edit. 2012-25 is indeed 1987.
    Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last ratings related post, I promise. :o

Last week: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57578776&postcount=3417

Sky Sports - Week Ending 8th April
    Sky Sports - Channel Share
    2.5% - Sky Sports 1
    0.7% - Sky Sports 2
    0.6% - Sky Sports News
    0.2% - Sky Sports 3
    0.1% - Sky Sports 4
    *% - Sky Sports F1

* = very small value

Sky Sports - Weekly Reach*
    7.63m - Sky Sports 1
    6.11m - Sky Sports News
    5.44m - Sky Sports 2
    3.02m - Sky Sports 3
    2.14m - Sky Sports 4
    0.61m - Sky Sports F1

* those who watch 3 consecutive minutes of a particular channel

And from BARB for the channel itself:

Top 10 - Week Ending 1st April
    1 - 44k - [highlight]The F1 Show[/highlight] (Friday, 20:00)
    2 - 30k - F1 Fast Track (Friday, 19:31)
    3 - 26k - The F1 Show (Friday, 24:00)
    4 - 25k - Malaysian Grand Prix Replay (Monday, 19:00)
    5 - 23k - [highlight]Season Review 1996[/highlight] (Friday, 21:00)
    6 - 21k - Legends (Saturday, 13:02)
    7 - 20k - Australian Grand Prix Highlights (Wednesday, 22:02)
    8 - 17k - [highlight]Season Review 1998[/highlight] (Sunday, 21:03)
    9 - 16k - Legends (Friday, 23:31)
    10 - 16k - The F1 Show (Saturday, 17:33)

Season Review 1997 failed to make BARB's Top 10, meaning it was watched by under 16k.

Top 10 - Week Ending 8th April
    1 - 57k - [highlight]The F1 Show[/highlight] (Friday, 20:00)
    2 - 31k - Australian Grand Prix Highlights (Saturday, 11:31)
    3 - 25k - The F1 Show (Saturday, 13:03)
    4 - 15k - The F1 Show (Thursday, 21:02)
    5 - 15k - [highlight]Season Review 2000[/highlight] (Saturday, 21:02)
    6 - 9k - Malaysian Grand Prix Replay (Sunday, 15:31)
    7 - 9k - F1 Fast Track (Thursday, 19:32)
    8 - 8k - Malaysian Grand Prix Highlights (Saturday, 14:02)
    9 - 7k - Legends (Monday, 20:30)
    10 - 6k - Australian Grand Prix Replay (Sunday, 11:01)

Season Review's 1999 or 2001 failed to make BARB's Top 10, meaning they were watched by under 6k.
This discussion has been closed.