Tom Browne - Radio 1 Top 20

JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
Forum Member
Hi. Been here listening to old tapes of Radio 1's Top 20 with Tom Browne.

I used to listen religiously every Sunday and he's a bit of a hero of mine!

I just wondered whether anyone had any information about him?

He's got one of the greatest radio voices I've ever heard.

Any info hugely appreciated.

James x

Comments

• wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he buy a farm in Thailand??
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all this 70s nostalgia on BBC2 at present its appropriate to remember Tom Browne. In particular, the rythymn of the show with its brief links, abbreviated chart fallers and occasional traffic updates. He seemed separate to the rest of radio one, rarely appearing elsewhere in the schedule. Probably at his best in the middle years of his 72-78 stint.
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use to listen to Tom Browns TOP40.almosrt every week. Everyone commented on his superb voice and style. Wish I could find one of the many recordings that I made with my new cassette recorder.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes those new fangled 'C120' cassettes were most useful for his show but you had to treat them gently.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was an actor and frequently spent the week appearing in provincial theatres, returning to London on Sunday to do his chart show - originally a three hour show called Solid Gold Sixty, which replaced Pick of the Pops in October 1972. He would often say at the end of his show where he would be spending the week. I remember one occasion when he came to Norwich to appear in an Agatha Christie play with Peggy Mount.

He also did a show for Danish radio, and various voiceovers for adverts.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He appeared in Emmerdale Farm in 1979 for a couple of months. He was last heard of working in Hong Kong.
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Didn't he buy a farm in Thailand??

Not quite correct. I believe he lives near the central highland city of Korat. However he was farming mushrooms which is quite a modest affair in Thailand. That said it's a very nice part of the world to retire to.
  • earlbearlb Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    When I was at Radio Luxembourg I used to record shows with him in English for Denmark. A vert nice guy.
  • COMMUNITY LADCOMMUNITY LAD Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    And that great theme tune by CCS - Brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZdjVQBEfc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrary to what that Wikipedia entry says, there was never a time when the Top 20 was not on Radio 2 as well - it was the case from the first week.

Pick of the Pops had been a two hour show simulcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2 between 5 and 7, and Solid Gold Sixty's last hour was also on Radio 2 from the outset.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought he was dire I really didn't like his voice at all it was no match for Fluff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    i thought he was dire I really didn't like his voice at all it was no match for Fluff

I'm with AL89 on this one. Not 'arf!
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funky Phil wrote: »
    I'm with AL89 on this one. Not 'arf!

Me too. He seemed very dull and just went through the motions every week. It wasn't too long before he was only on for an hour just doing the top twenty. Fluff for me every time!
  • JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Fluff was great (and still was up to the last but I grew up with Tom Browne doing the chart and it sounds great. Get hold of a copy of a programme and have a listen. It still sounds great.
  • JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking that as well as Radio 1 and Radio 2 (long wave across Europe) the programme also went out on the World Service as well?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Browne was the first presenter of the Sunday chart countdown (then a top 20) that I heard. At the time I didn't think anything of his presentation style but hearing it now he sounds so out of place on Radio 1 for even back then. His style seems very laid back, almost to the point of being lazy, but given the time constraints (20 records most weeks in 1 hour) there was little time for him to be able to do anything other than do a "that was" and "this is" style of presentation.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Tom Browne was the first presenter of the Sunday chart countdown (then a top 20) that I heard. At the time I didn't think anything of his presentation style but hearing it now he sounds so out of place on Radio 1 for even back then. His style seems very laid back, almost to the point of being lazy, but given the time constraints (20 records most weeks in 1 hour) there was little time for him to be able to do anything other than do a "that was" and "this is" style of presentation.

There's a little more to being a DJ than the number of words you speak on air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did the Top 20 not comprise 20 records?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,842
    Forum Member
    Did they miss a few out or squeeze in the whole 20?. I think when it went to Top 40 they tended to play 33 or 34 of the songs, depending on the length, also did run downs after each 10 IIRC?
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They usually played all 20 but he faded some of the lower down fallers early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did the Top 20 not comprise 20 records?

When there was a Judge Dread record amongst them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that as well as Radio 1 and Radio 2 (long wave across Europe) the programme also went out on the World Service as well?

It didn't, but I have a vague memory of World Service having its own chart show at this time which would have been a shorter programme playing just some of the records.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    When there was a Judge Dread record amongst them. :)
    Or 'God Save The Queen' by the Sex Pistols!