Options

Westworld. (US Pace) Spoilers

Comments

• Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That scene with Anthony Hopkins revealing he knows EVERYTHING about the inner workings of the park, its employees and its hosts and guests was chilling, fantastic performance by that good man.

Makes you wonder about the source(s) of his information. For example, he knows about Bernard's trysts, and Bernard's supposedly private exchanges with Dolores.
    The common factor there is obviously Bernard. There have been several suggestions (wordplay) in this and previous episodes that would lead you to wonder if Bernard is all he seems.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    Makes you wonder about the source(s) of his information. For example, he knows about Bernard's trysts, and Bernard's supposedly private exchanges with Dolores.
    The common factor there is obviously Bernard. There have been several suggestions (wordplay) in this and previous episodes that would lead you to wonder if Bernard is all he seems.

Exactly. He appears as a God but obviously he *has* to realistically be getting that information from somewhere and as you say, Bernard is the only thing linking all the things Ford knew about together, which means perhaps a certain popular theory regarding Bernard is true.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the DS review of this episode got it right.

Too many annoying storylines getting in the way of the main ones.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that old host that Anthony Hopkins speaks to played by Ed Harris as well?
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sincerely hope the MiB theory is wrong.

Casual viewers will not get it and be completely confused.

Logan / Will / Delores have the best scenes. I want to see the "game" get dangerous though now for Will / Logan.

Love Dr Ford. Hope they keep Hopkins on it for as long as he wants to be on it.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huge Penis
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the episode again. Highlights being Maeve obviously,I saw it coming but still brilliant.Also Dolores going badass,the MIB Anthony Hopkins two hander.

Excellently played.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the original 1973 film the theme park was run by the Delos corporation and in the new TV series one of the oldest hosts is called Delores.

So maybe an old connection back to the original film ? like Vger / Voyager in Star Trek - The Motion Picture
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    excelents wrote: »
    In the original 1973 film the theme park was run by the Delos corporation and in the new TV series one of the oldest hosts is called Delores.

So maybe an old connection back to the original film ? like Vger / Voyager in Star Trek - The Motion Picture

I think the corporation is still known as Delos. Though, yeah, Dolores might be connected somehow. There certainly seems to be more to her than we've seen so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it too. None of the weak/annoying actors!

Logan says Arnold killed himself. Ford sad previously it was an 'accident'. Suicide the reason made public to cover up 'an incident'?

The exchange between Lawrence and the Man in Black again pretty loaded:
    Lawrence: "You sadistic f**k"
    MiB: "There's not a man in the world who'd take the tone with me you do. In a past life, perhaps"

MiB knows how the hosts work - intimately - as he steals Lawrence's blood to keep Teddy alive. Maybe he's had a lot of practice. Maybe he 'has' knowledge..?

The Woodcutter had a satellite Uplink transmitter fitted internally. Note: UPlink.
    What data could be extracted from the park of any value?
    "Someone has been using our host to smuggle data out of the park"
    Data - entire host identities? A way to 'escape' as pure information...? Armed with the right information, host bodies could be built elsewhere to take them.. The same bodies even, with the original (data) construction patterns..

I think Maeve is going to get the repair guy to put his illicit "behaviour programmer" device to good use....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally, with the uplink thing my first thought was corporate espionage. Maybe the corporation doesn't trust Ford and are using espionage against him? Or maybe Ford himself is behind it? Or another corporation entirely trying to steal Delos secrets? Lots of possibilities. As you said, it could even be AI personalities escaping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Personally, with the uplink thing my first thought was corporate espionage. Maybe the corporation doesn't trust Ford and are using espionage against him? Or maybe Ford himself is behind it? Or another corporation entirely trying to steal Delos secrets? Lots of possibilities. As you said, it could even be AI personalities escaping.

It might be easier to steal corporate secrets by bribing one of their (many) discontented and apparently blackmail-able employees!
    It now looks like the woodcutter destroyed his own head to stop anyone knowing what he 'contained' for transmission, and to whom. This would clearly not be default behaviour, so somebody still inside and with one of those behaviour programming devices must have set up that action to prevent discovery. Four suspects come to mind - Ford, Bernard, the MiB and our Bird-resurrecting repair guy. They've all got the know-how, and 3 have the tool.
    If, as it seems, he failed to complete an upload, will another host suddenly take an interest in astronomy...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    It might be easier to steal corporate secrets by bribing one of their (many) discontented and apparently blackmail-able employees!
    It now looks like the woodcutter destroyed his own head to stop anyone knowing what he 'contained' for transmission, and to whom. This would clearly not be default behaviour, so somebody still inside and with one of those behaviour programming devices must have set up that action to prevent discovery. Four suspects come to mind - Ford, Bernard, the MiB and our Bird-resurrecting repair guy. They've all got the know-how, and 3 have the tool. If, as it seems, he failed to complete an upload, will another host suddenly take an interest in astronomy...?

I thought the woodcutter bashed his brain in to prevent data recovery too, but someone else said it was a fail safe to prevent a host from injuring a guest? I imagine security is tight, so any attempts to smuggle out data might actually be tougher than satellite broadcasting.

Liked how Ford wondered if Dolores was the hero of her story, or the villain? And also, the sad look in his eyes as he told her they certainly weren't friends. :o
  • Options
    Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grrrrreat episode!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if the two time periods theory is correct (which I'm not convinced it is) there was some interesting talk between Logan and William.

We learn that Logan and William's company is planning on buying out Westword (which is losing a lot of money) which (if they are 30 years in the past) would likely make their company Delos (the owners of the Park in the present).

As I said though I'm still not convinced the TTP theory is correct, in fact there's evidence in this episode to both support the theory and to discredit it.

People in both Time periods talk of Arnold's death in the past. 34 years ago from the present and an unknown time prior to William/Logan (very little info on the death is available to Logan, not even Arnold's name is known). Does Logan know so little because it was 34 years before or was it only 4 years before and greatly covered up?

Safety in the Park. We've seen William get knocked over by a bullet and both him and (especially) Logan got beaten quite badly in the latest episode.

When we saw the MiB get shot the bullets didn't affect him at all plus we know less and less Hosts are allowed to use weapons. Does the fact that William and Logan get hurt mean they are in the past when safety rules were less strict?

The MiB talks of his first visit to the Park. He talks of the hosts being more mechanical than they are in the present which would rule him out of being an older William as the Hosts William encounters on his first visit seem to be much the same as in the present.

The MiB could still be Logan though who had visited the park a number of times before possibly right at the start when the Hosts were more like Buffalo Bill.

Of course if the MiB is William (or Logan) it means they aren't going to be finding the centre of the Maze 30 years ago as MiB is still looking.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Five episodes in, and I still enjoy this show, but I am starting to get the 'Lost Vibe' from it. by that I mean I can see the show concluding with a whole series of open-ended questions, and a lot of dissatisfied viewers (as per Lost). There's a certain amount of irony that Abrams is involved in this project too.

I also think at this point it's obvious that Hopkins' character was responsible for either killing Arnold, or having him killed.
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I sincerely hope the MiB theory is wrong.
    Which one?
    Corwin wrote: »
    So if the two time periods theory is correct (which I'm not convinced it is) there was some interesting talk between Logan and William.
    Hasn't it already been confirmed that they aren't separate? The scenes with Dolores and the MIB took place (seemingly) before she walked into Logan & William.

Then again, unless there's two Lawrence hosts.....

The only time periods I can think of there being are the two between Westworld and the Interviews. In last nights episode, and in previous episodes, hosts seem to be in one area and then in the glass rooms all too quickly. That one business guy (the names escape me at the moment) was pretty much with Dolores at all times, and yet Hopkins managed to squeeze an interview in with her??

Are these talks that the programmers are having with the hosts real time, or are they before/after said hosts introduction into the park? That's the only thing that's currently baffling me.
    Corwin wrote: »
    Safety in the Park. We've seen William get knocked over by a bullet and both him and (especially) Logan got beaten quite badly in the latest episode.
    I figure they still can't be killed. Logan(?) was getting strangled in this latest episode, yet as soon as William(?) shot the host, Logan jumped up and celebrated. If the strangling was real, he'd have had to taken a minute or two to get his breath back. He didn't.

I guess the current running theory then is that the MiB is Logan or William, and that there are two time periods being played out here, though everything we see back stage is taking place in the latter time frame..?
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Is that old host that Anthony Hopkins speaks to played by Ed Harris as well?

Old Bill is played by Michael Wincott, very distinctive voice, you may know him from The Crow & Alien Resurrection.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Old Bill is played by Michael Wincott, very distinctive voice, you may know him from The Crow & Alien Resurrection.
    I'm pretty sure most people try to forget about everything to do with that film. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not buying the different time frames,Dolores tells WIlliam her parents are dead,this happened just before she was "raped" by MIB and pre meeting William and Logan.

The same back stage controllers have over viewed MIB and William and Logan.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Im not buying the different time frames,Dolores tells WIlliam her parents are dead,this happened just before she was "raped" by MIB and pre meeting William and Logan.

The same back stage controllers have over viewed MIB and William and Logan.

Her parents die every week :D

Still it would be more likely that the Deloras of 30 years before was in a different role than that of the Ranchers daughter.

As I said I'm not convinced of the two different time periods theory either but it still seems to be popular in blogs/recaps of the show.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically the two timelines theory would make a lot of things make sense, and also make a lot of things make no sense at all.
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I get that the droids can't hurt humans with bullets but in the last episode they are getting choked to hell by them, how is that possible? Is there a certain point where they lay off?
  • Options
    Dave_LeeDave_Lee Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I get that the droids can't hurt humans with bullets but in the last episode they are getting choked to hell by them, how is that possible? Is there a certain point where they lay off?

Maybe the further out from town(Logan mentioned that to William) the more danger and lifelike it becomes, prehaps you can be killed in the maze?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the expression on Logan's face when WIll refused to help him Im guessing he knew he was in no danger.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I love this show, and its incredibly interesting to read everyone's theory on it but I totally don't buy the two time periods thing- It would throw too much out, I guess there's evidence to support it but I think for the casual viewer it would be too much. (Although I like the theory Ben Barnes grows up to be Ed Harris- They certainly have similar character types) But they make reference to Dolores being one of the oldest hosts in the park on multiple occasions after her original 'dad' has been killed and we see him replaced with the new host after he goes a bit nutty. This is before we see her break her 'loop,' so I'm not sure it has that much merit and we're on a linear timeline.

I think obviously when the guests are asleep they have some sort of hoover thing to patch up the hosts etc... and as it's part of the 'game' the guests go along with it. I think it's clear to me some remnant of Arnold (either a hologram or in person) will be at the centre of the maze. I'm wondering whether it's some sort of freedom thing, in that Dolores will get to see the 'real world' if she makes it. Lots of questions but that's what makes it great imo and its really not that confusing (Yet anyway)

While I'm on it, there was a section where someone tries to thank the man in black for doing something in the real world, but clearly android tech won't be limited to Westworld, so I'm wondering if its in an abstract medical kind of way- I still think he's probably a host, and that maybe he achieved his freedom?