Options

The best buiness brains the country has to offer????

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr_BeeMr_Bee Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    It's always been an entertainment programme but at least originally it was a bit more believable that there were some talented and capable people. Now it's clearly just all about who can be the next famous apprentice candidate off the production line.

Some of the comments from the first episode were even more cringe worthy than usual. It was like a parody, I expected to see Harry Enfield or Paul Whitehouse playing one of the characters.
  • Options
    SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Mr_Bee wrote: »
    It's always been an entertainment programme but at least originally it was a bit more believable that there were some talented and capable people. Now it's clearly just all about who can be the next famous apprentice candidate off the production line.

Some of the comments from the first episode were even more cringe worthy than usual. It was like a parody, I expected to see Harry Enfield or Paul Whitehouse playing one of the characters.

The thing is a lot of this years candidates seem to be lacking in personality as much as they are lacking in business skills.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    I cringe every year when I see its the best on offer, god help the worst
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that might be affecting the level of candidates that apply, and I think we can see it on Dragon's Den as well, is that now it is quite easy to get started in business.

Entrepreneurialism is encouraged at universities and design schools; prototyping is easier with 3-d printers; manufacturing is cheaply outsourced to China or elsewhere; Ebay and Amazon provide sales outlets and can handle payments and deliveries; low interest rates mean that investors are more willing to back new companies.

So we now see more and more candidates who have taken that first step but are now stymied as to how to climb to the next level. On DD, a lot of pitchers don't need investment so much as mentoring, and for the Dragons to make the phone call to the boss of Tesco or Wyckes or whoever.

On the Apprentice, it means there are many candidates with micro-businesses where either they are the boss or even a sole trader, who have absolutely no experience of teamwork or even of consulting or listening to other people.

We see the results on the tasks. Dictatorial project management, sulking minions, and very little sign of a workable strategy.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Back in the early days, most of the candidates had 'proper' jobs and were looking to better themselves and learn from Alan Sugar.
    Nowadays, many of them sell tat on ebay and call themselves entrepreneurs. As they seem to run small businesses from their bedrooms, half of them have no idea how to work with other people and the attempts at teamwork are a shambles

Communications Entrepreneur = Carphone Warehouse salesman.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need to remember is that first and foremost it's an entertainment show.
    Take it for what it is and you'll enjoy it more, these candidates are clearly idiots but that's where the entertainment comes from.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Communications Entrepreneur = Carphone Warehouse salesman.

:D:D

The interview process will get to the bottom of the embellishments.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you need to remember is that first and foremost it's an entertainment show.
    Take it for what it is and you'll enjoy it more, these candidates are clearly idiots but that's where the entertainment comes from.
    Yes - I loved The Goon Show when I was young.

This takes me back :)