Is it going REALLY dark where you are already?

Comments

• Kevin SmearKevin Smear Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I missed something here? I'm pretty sure the nights always start drawing in very quickly around the equinox. Nothing different from every other year you've been alive.

Still, the bad news for all you light/sun allergics is that the days start getting longer again in about 3 months. Enjoy. :)
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    My comment was made in reply to how much better a summer it's been in the south east, particularly London.

Its because nearly all the government funding is spent on London, so they can afford all the warmth and the sunshine while they send all the cloud, rain and wind up North, just like they do with the old trains ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is indeed getting really dark here now, no thanks to the gloomy wet weather weve had today. It has been going dark at 7pm every day for awhile now, it starts getting gloomier earlier and earlier. Its like a giant grey blanket snuffing out the daylight. Won't be long before the clocks go back and the streetlights will be coming on at 3pm again.

And we'll be back to where we started. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its barely got light here today...

Its been dull, gloomy and depressing all day. There's also been some heavy rain as well (surprise surprise).

Got up at 8am this morning, and wondered what month we were in..

Its felt like a day in November or December when its just not seemed to get properly light all day.

It feels like Winter when you have to have the lights on all day.

Its 4pm and it feels like its going dark already, like on a late autumn/early winters day.

Its always so gloomy up north in the hills...
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving it, roll on winter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully it's cleared up now but it's now turned very windy. But there's a mixture of blue sky and some nice cloud formations so can't complain.

It is however, starting to go dark though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just four weeks and a day before it'll be going dark before 5pm again... Eek! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6pm and its getting really gloomy now already..

And clocks go back in two weeks time!
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still fairly light here in the West Midlands, our sunset time today is 1812 so the sun has just set, tomorrow sunrise at 7.40 and sunset at 1805.

The nights are really drawing in and it's definitely getting to casseroles, warm jumpers, padded coats and boots time of year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half 6 and very dark now. Nice sky to the north west though.

And we're now only 6 days away from you know what.... ;-)
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half 6 and very dark now. Nice sky to the north west though.

And we're now only 6 days away from you know what.... ;-)
    Steffan, if you are so worried about this, why not just change your time zone twice a day so that the Sun always rises at 5 am and sets at 10 pm? :D

You would not have a clue about what time everyone else thinks it is, but maybe you would be happy then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was never going to get light this morning. Got up at 7:45. Dark, Overcast, Blanket Grey. Raining. Didn't want to get up. 8:30. Still Dark. Still needed the lights on. Didn't get light till about 11am, and it's still pretty gloomy and cloudy now.

It's getting to that time of year when some days it never gets properly light all day. Makes you feel tired, miserable and want to stay in bed all day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2652819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, it's dark here already... Can't even see around the house without the lights on!

Tommorow this will be 4:30 not 5:30.

This dark, overcast, gloomy weather is really depressing.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, it's dark here already... Can't even see around the house without the lights on!

Tommorow this will be 4:30 not 5:30.

This dark, overcast, gloomy weather is really depressing.

No it's not, it's much nicer than endless sun and heat. I have already changed most of my clocks - the ones that don't update themselves. I always look forward to this afternoon each year.

And I have just looked at the netweather 10 day forecast for my location, and their 'feels like' maximum temperature for next Monday (Nov 7th) is 3 degrees! :D
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate winter and constant darkness. My ideal would be to work in a remote job so I could spend half the year in the northern hemisphere and the other half in the south and never see another winter. Time to polish up my tech skills?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate winter and constant darkness. My ideal would be to work in a remote job so I could spend half the year in the northern hemisphere and the other half in the south and never see another winter. Time to polish up my tech skills?

I'd like the reverse - maybe we could do a rolling house swap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    No it's not, it's much nicer than endless sun and heat. I have already changed most of my clocks - the ones that don't update themselves. I always look forward to this afternoon each year.

And I have just looked at the netweather 10 day forecast for my location, and their 'feels like' maximum temperature for next Monday (Nov 7th) is 3 degrees! :D

I don't like constant heat either, but we never ever get any anyway - at least not up here. As I recall the temperature has only gone above 25C once this year, on the hottest day of the year.

Yes, the weather is set to get colder here too - single digit maximum and minimum temperatures from Wednesday onwards

Looks like we aren't going to see another 31st October 2014 or 1st Nov 2015. I remember 1st Nov was a beautiful day last year but I spent the whole day sat indoors watching films because I hadn't checked the weather forecast - while my dad was out walking in sunny Niderdale.
    Still regret that to this day now as its rare to get weather like that at this time of year :( Never again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, ten past four and having to put the lights on already..
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's grim up North
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it. Much nicer than sitting in daylight at 9 p.m.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap. Gonna have to book our tee time for 11am next week :(
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when the clocks have gone back. It's only 4.40 PM and it's already starting to get dark :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Streetlights are on here, how about you?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We've had a grey and dull day all day so lights haven't been off :D Same for last few days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's grim up North

It sure is :(
    Spot wrote: »
    Love it. Much nicer than sitting in daylight at 9 p.m.

Well we'll have to disagree on that one. I love watching the sun set on a lovely Summer evening at 9pm from my northwest facing bedroom. This time of year it never gets any daylight. :(
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I hate it when the clocks have gone back. It's only 4.40 PM and it's already starting to get dark :(

Only just starting...? Here it started to go dark like an hour ago. :(