Options

Weather Watching - Enthusiasts Thread

Comments

• Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    61 mph gusts forecast on Tuesday night in NI. Not looking forward to that.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Starting to look like if the cold from the east reaches us next week, which it may, it will soon get pushed back east again by the incessant and very annoying south westerlies who may just be taking a short breather.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of days respite from rain and wind, although still very mild. Then a bit more interesting as we get to mid week, stormy again, and New Years' Eve. It does now seem, as you say Dave, that something notably colder is being flagged up as coming along into next week to begin January 2016 but considering how mild its been in December 2015 the "cold" will likely be just the normal expected conditions for early January. We wait to see.

I'd sure love to know just what the December rainfall totals are going to end up as in Cumbria. They must be astonishingly high, considering the new UK 24 hour record stands at an astounding 341.4mm at Honister, Cumbria.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'd sure love to know just what the December rainfall totals are going to end up as in Cumbria. They must be astonishingly high, considering the new UK 24 hour record stands at an astounding 341.4mm at Honister, Cumbria.

Shap statistics HERE.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Starting to look like if the cold from the east reaches us next week, which it may, it will soon get pushed back east again by the incessant and very annoying south westerlies who may just be taking a short breather.

The wind has changed direction here (Sussex). We now have a south easterly, and it feels much colder.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather here has been terrible all day. I keep an eye on a couple of the local weather stations at this time of year. Strongest gusts so far have been in the region of 64mph and the 10 min average is 47mph, but even the spray is causing problems. Churchill Barriers have been closed (this is Barrier 2 earlier today) and ferry services are being cancelled or delayed.

Factoring in wind chill, it's still incredibly mild. I'm still wearing a lot of summer clothes - only difference is I've added waterproof jacket and boots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Storm Frank is shaping up to be the worst storm of winter so far.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

As far as I can tell, the worst bit is heading to the North West between Scotland and Iceland. Although it will be stormy everywhere.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My TV Aerial is safe anyway. It blew down last February, so I stuck it in the loft.
  • Options
    Big brother tvBig brother tv Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

It's supposed to snow on Thursday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It may well change as the storm system gets closer and they can predict its path more accurately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It may well change as the storm system gets closer and they can predict its path more accurately.

Well it's gone up to 64mph gusts in Belfast now. That will wreck the place.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcey94cuf8hc#?fcTime=1451347200
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Shap statistics HERE.
    Thanks, and I bet Shap is nothing like the wettest either.
    It seems that naming these storms is getting negative comments now we have reached the 6th in barely 6 weeks or so. I must admit that when I first heard about the naming of UK storms I did think it was rather pointless and almost silly. I'm now coming around to the idea that its nothing more than some kind of dumbed down way of the Met Office interacting with the media, which love nothing more than to tag labels onto things, even a bit of wind and rain. I wonder if they will review doing it at some point? The mass end print media, Express, Mail, Mirror, Star & Sun certainly cannot be trusted to report impending potential weather stories in any kind of responsible and measured manner. It's nearly always 90% fantasy.

Storm Eva on Christmas Eve proved a damp squib that nothing much came of in the end. Of course if this had been one of those cold winters with a blocking high nearby we might have still been a long way off the arrival of the first named storm still.
  • Options
    Big brother tvBig brother tv Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sustained winds of 50mph here
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Antarctic Biography of Frank Bickerton is very interesting.

They managed to pick a rocky cliff site that had year round average winds of 70mph (I think)
    Only a few days weren't windy and maximums were 200mph

Half the group got stranded for an unplanned second year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Adventurer-Bickerton-Antarctic-Pioneer/dp/0750940123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasian_Antarctic_Expedition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Denison
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sustained winds of 50mph here

Where are you? I'm only getting 40mph gusts so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Storm Frank has undergone explosive cyclogenesis - BBC Weather.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/681908259020738560
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's just the twitter user's name. It's not from the actual BBC weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    That's just the twitter user's name. It's not from the actual BBC weather.

Eh? BBC Weather tweeted it. It's from them.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love this explanation...

Alastair McCulloch ‏@TheForestDeliCo 20m20 minutes ago

@bbcweather @smallholderadve It means an intensification in cyclonic activity. As someone said earlier, it means "chuffing windy & wet". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? BBC Weather tweeted it. It's from them.

You're right - my bad :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no weather expert, but its pissing it down and freezing here.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a real wet Summer again. Think the patio furniture saw about 2 days of sun. 2014 we had a great summer but this year is a total washout. My lawn is a right mess. Moss everywhere. Totally waterlogged and muddy. Not worth trying to do anything with it because what's the point when we never have any decent days in which to enjoy it?

Just constant rain. Still, I look at the news and see all these poor flood victims and count my blessings.