GOOD
61% 44 votes
BAD
38% 27 votes

Comments

• netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well on the one hand I can't see anything wrong with people starting up businesses and improving an area but on the other hand, the rising of house prices and rents that drive out the locals is a bad thing. I don't have the answer.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's intrinsically positive or negative.

All neighbourhoods change over time, usually to some people's benefit rather than others, it would be a matter of perspective I suppose as to whether you felt that to be good or bad.

At the most basic level I suppose you could characterise it as good for house owners (who see a rise in their property value), and bad for renters (who see an increase in their rent).
  • JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Increased property values and the displacing of lower-income families and small businesses is a very bad thing,how can anyone thing thats a good thing.
    Forum Member
    JDF wrote: »
    Increased property values and the displacing of lower-income families and small businesses is a very bad thing,how can anyone thing thats a good thing.

Well if someone owns their house I expect they would be quite pleased at the increase in its value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Well if someone owns their house I expect they would be quite pleased at the increase in its value.

So poor people are not important >:(
    Forum Member
    So poor people are not important >:(

That is not what I have said is it?

You asked how anyone could see it as a good thing and I answered with a reason that people might be in favour.

Are you not aware that poor people own houses as well? Often in the very areas that become subject to gentrification. Which makes them less poor. Something I expect they are broadly in favour of.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain is quite fond of slum clearances.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can only get a good thing. It makes an area pleasant to live in and gets rid of the riff-raff.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a good or bad thing?

I think it is bad,

Not sure/Don't know/none of the above/not applicable
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    It can only get a good thing. It makes an area pleasant to live in and gets rid of the riff-raff.

Bloody hell.

Off to the workhouse for the "riff-raff" is it, or just keep them on the streets?
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »

PMSL 'riff-raff', who do you think you are, Bertie Big Bollocks Wooster?:D

Honestly, I'd feel like the neighbourhood had taken a definite turn for the worse if someone moved in down the street and started talking about 'riff-raff'. :cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only if you think that living in a dump is a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Only if you think that living in a dump is a good thing.

What happens to the poor people that live there ,they have to move on and when Gentrification happens to the place they moved they have to move a again its not right or fair poor people need a place to live that is with in there means ,Its should not just be all for people with money>:(
    Forum Member
    What happens to the poor people that live there ,they have to move on and when Gentrification happens to the place they moved they have to move a again its not right or fair poor people need a place to live that is with in there means ,Its should not just be all for people with money>:(

I can understand why that would feel frustrating, those at the very bottom do tend to get overlooked. What do you think the solution should be?

Realistically we can't prevent people moving to a previously overlooked area, and tbh the reason that areas tend to become hot spots is because they are affordable compared to the existing affluent areas which are already out of the incomers price bracket. I would be interested to consider measures like rent caps and social housing, but there is very little political appetite for that it seems.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »

in London, where pretty much everywhere is gentrified, that means nothing, unless you want to sell up and move to some village in Norfolk :p
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,630
    Forum Member
    I live in a part of London that has been going through gentrification for the past few years and there are a lot of upsides - decent gastro pubs opening, you can get great coffee, the selection of shops is better, everywhere has a buzzy/creative vibe, exhibitions, festivals, lots of cultural activity that didn't really happen before.

Downsides - property prices are ridiculous, it does seem that the same type of people go to the same events, "yummy" mummies and daddies who think their offspring should been seen, heard, and loved by everyone, homogenization of different cultures.

Thing is, how do you do it without excluding someone somewhere? Places do improve generally when more money arrives in an area, that's just how it is. Then it becomes more desirable and the rules of supply and demand come in when it comes to housing. If we had a government (of any colour) that allowed social housing construction on a massive scale we wouldn't have all the issues around outrageous rents and house prices we do now.

As it happens, I'm happy for gentrification to occur. Who doesn't want to live somewhere nicer? However, I'm lucky as I'm well paid and can for the moment stay put.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I live in a part of London that has been going through gentrification for the past few years and there are a lot of upsides - decent gastro pubs opening, you can get great coffee, the selection of shops is better, everywhere has a buzzy/creative vibe, exhibitions, festivals, lots of cultural activity that didn't really happen before.

Downsides - property prices are ridiculous, it does seem that the same type of people go to the same events, "yummy" mummies and daddies who think their offspring should been seen, heard, and loved by everyone, homogenization of different cultures.

Thing is, how do you do it without excluding someone somewhere? Places do improve generally when more money arrives in an area, that's just how it is. Then it becomes more desirable and the rules of supply and demand come in when it comes to housing. If we had a government (of any colour) that allowed social housing construction on a massive scale we wouldn't have all the issues around outrageous rents and house prices we do now.

As it happens, I'm happy for gentrification to occur. Who doesn't want to live somewhere nicer? However, I'm lucky as I'm well paid and can for the moment stay put.

Dont you think or care about the poor people in that area ?
    Forum Member

Where do I state that I don't care for poor people?

Did you not see my opinion on social housing?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it?
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    What is it?

Usually urban areas that are re-generated thanks to more affluent residents and businesses moving in. In London a lot of the East End which was previously poor and working class has gone through gentrification over the past 20 years or so.

There are downsides - poorer communities often end up forced out of these areas because they are no longer affordable, and quite often the culture can become homogenised.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely poor people also deserve to live in an area which is getting invested in to improve the quality of housing, public services and job opportunities rather than being left to rot in a slum.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Surely poor people also deserve to live in an area which is getting invested in to improve the quality of housing, public services and job opportunities rather than being left to rot in a slum.

Absolutely!

However, you have seen the type of government we tend to have in this country... (Labour and Conservative should both hang their heads in shame here )social housing is never at the top of their list, neither is housebuilding on any large scale generally, so we have a supply and demand problem which is why the price of houses is so high in many areas, and why private rents are also so high.

If we had enough council housing to go round then we wouldn't have people trapped in slums they can barely afford.

Investment is usually private, too which then often hampers helping out people who could really do with it, whether that's education opportunities, employment, or community facilities.

Unfortunately the way it works in this country, rightly or wrongly, is that it tends to be people with money that get an area improved, those with the sharpest elbows and the loudest voices get heard. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying this is the reality of it.

Like I said in my previous posting, I happen to enjoy living in a gentrified area, and have an income that means I am lucky enough to take advantage of what it has brought. It doesn't mean I am oblivious to the negative aspects of gentrification, or that I don't want it to change.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a good or bad thing?

I think it is bad,

Why? Would you prefer it if run down areas and their residents were forgotten about? Would you prefer it if people didn't work hard to improve their lives?
    The housing crisis has been caused by successive Government policy and neglect, including years of Labour rule.
    It hasn't been caused by the average persons natural aspirations. Would the misery and futility of communism be better?
  • Aetius_MaralasAetius_Maralas Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    What is it?
    Changing an area so people actually want to live there rather than only those with no choice in the matter.

So a terrible thing to good class warriors who believe in the noble poor, whilst sending their own kids to a private school in a nice neighbourhood.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    As somebody that grew up in a shit hole with" community spirit and character" I would say gentrification is an excellent thing. 👍