Options

£91k mobile bill!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about time they got some better systems that cut people off when they reach their credit limit really isn't it.

I know my provider updates their billing and I have a £20 limit on it which if I exceed it immediately stops me from making more calls or using more data. I use it as piece of mind so I know I'm not going to get a massive bill.

All providers should immediately stop any more calls being made when the credit limit is reached. My credit limit prior to asking for it to be dropped to £20 was £1000, so it would have stopped me using any more than that.

If I refresh my usage it updates in realtime on the website, why don't Vodafone have a more modern billing system like this?
  • Options
    The Full SparkyThe Full Sparky Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    If I was in his position I'd declare myself bankrupt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was in his position I'd declare myself bankrupt

That costs £450 + £175 court costs.

You have to wait for your creditors to do it if you can't afford that, but there's no point in them doing it if you don't have assets so they'll just keep chasing him for small monthly payments.

You could find it difficult getting credit for up to 15 years, and you'll still need to pay some money to creditors if you come into any money until it's discharged, you'll lose anything you own apart from clothes, car, tools, books and basic furnishings. Anything else you own goes to paying debts of your creditors.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... when Vodafone do it's next inflationary increase - this muppet is partially to blame!
    Surely it is the other way round, and even possibly so with this guy.
    There are a small percentage of idiots out of control ensuring all our bills stay relatively small.

A bit like with smokers and drinkers paying massive amounts of tax and failing to receive a pension.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a complete tool.... Vodafone shouldn't have let a bill get to £19,000 though, that is a bit daft... but none the less the bloke is an utter knob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    There are a small percentage of idiots out of control ensuring all our bills stay relatively small.

A bit like with smokers and drinkers paying massive amounts of tax and failing to receive a pension.

Vodafone will have to pay the premium provider, but they'll never see the money from the guy as he's unemployed and won't have the means to pay.

So other Vodafone customers will share the cost. However it's Vodafone's fault for not having a live and up to date billing and credit control system that stopped him making those calls as soon as he reached the credit limit.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

So how does one guy who is refusing to pay his bill keep my wifes Vodafone bill down? It doesn't.

I do think that Vodafone should have some better controls though - just to protect itself from something like this happening again.

Although in this case the guy only has himself to blame for it and do doubt has some other issues that have caused this. Not really sure what the answer to solving his problems are though without forcing him to do something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I do think that Vodafone should have some better controls though - just to protect itself from something like this happening again.

I was inferring that for every one of him there are 1000s running up bills of 100s of £s for the same sort of crap yet paying up.

And even this guy may well end up paying for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

That is of course, if he pays this bill, which he probably won't. So the logic there has failed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was inferring that for every one of him there are 1000s running up bills of 100s of £s for the same sort of crap yet paying up.

And even this guy may well end up paying for the rest of his life.

Surely it's peoples choice what they do and don't use their phones for? And Most people 'pay up' as that is what decent people do when they use a paid service then they pay for it.

I doubt very much this guy pay anything at all now after all the coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the logic there has failed.
    No it ain't The majority end up paying up.

Its surely the same with Apple. They are said to be getting 71% of iPhone app income from in-app purchases.
    Much of this 71% will come from a small section of suckers paying up 100s of £s. Relatively few of them will reach the level of this guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Its surely the same with Apple. They are said to be getting 71% of iPhone app income from in-app purchases.
    Much of this 71% will come from a small section of suckers paying up 100s of £s. Relatively few of them will reach the level of this guy.

Why do you believe that someone is a 'sucker' just for buying in-game apps? Does it not depend on what you get?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

I wasn't talking about the majority. Just this "challenged" gentleman in particular.

His usage alone would equate to over 300 other people who avail of premium services on a mobile and who pay their way.

This bloke won't pay a penny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why do you believe that someone is a 'sucker' just for buying in-game apps? Does it not depend on what you get?
    The high level of the spend makes them the sucker.

I could have said 'punter'. But no matter, we are all pretty much all punters/suckers in some way or other.

Is "Never give a punter a dime" a more polite way of saying"never give a sucker a dime" ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The high level of the spend compared makes them the sucker.

I could have said 'punter'. But no matter, we are all pretty much all punters/suckers in some way or other.

Is "Never give a punter a dime" a more polite way of saying"never give a sucker a dime" ?

I'll allow you to think of yourself as a sucker but I know I'm not
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chat line, does that count as oral sex? :p
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remember in the future, when Vodafone do it's next inflationary increase - this muppet is partially to blame!

Can't Vodafone just have a friendly chat with HMRC and get it written off? :D