Cancelling virgin media internet early (have not fulfilled 12 months yet)

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Situation:

I live in a student household, and we took up virgin media broadband in october. It's now getting towards June when the term is over soo we have to move out. I was just wondering how we would go about cancelling the internet and whether there would be any huge fees?

thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would imagine you will have to pay whatever is left of the 12 month contract.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    GOOD LUCK! Virgin Media have the worst Customer Service department I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with (even worse than BT and that's saying something).

You have my deepest sympathy in trying to negotiate with the morons.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    You're contracted for 12 months and normally can't leave that without paying the remainder of the year's fees.
  • superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    You're contracted for 12 months and normally can't leave that without paying the remainder of the year's fees.

that's only fair i guess, any idea how the procedure works? will they take the remainder out as a lump sum, or continue with the monthly payments? Also, how much notice must be given?
  • Tuffnutz2008Tuffnutz2008 Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread would get better advice and more replys in the cable forum here. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    superboy wrote: »
    that's only fair i guess, any idea how the procedure works? will they take the remainder out as a lump sum, or continue with the monthly payments? Also, how much notice must be given?
    You only get the monthly payments option under a contract. If you cancel the contract early, it stands to reason that you pay all outstanding monies in one go.

Take a look at http://www.virgin.net/terms/broadband_tc.shtml (H. Cancellations and Refunds > 6.Cancellation charges:
    a]Early termination charge & b] Disconnection fee)
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member

First of all, cancel your direct debit tomorrow then they will invoice you for the outstanding amount owed on the contract. Then you can pay it off in installments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would need to continue the contract for the remainder of time it has left. I'm sure they would be happy to keep the D/D running until the 12 months were over.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member

They usually ask for a lump sum, but if you know that the property will be vacant for a while then you could possibly wait a few months and carry on paying monthly for as long as possible? Also, we had this problem when I was at Uni. We took out VM in October but ended up moving to a non-cabled property in January. We rang to cancel in February and after a bit of discussion they agreed to let us cancel with a flat fee of £50. It's worth a try.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had similar problems....only on a wider scale.

I was with Birmingham Cable and Telewest in the 90's and when Virgin had taken over...I stayed with them, so all in all I was with them for a good 10+ years. Last year I moved address and naturally I had taken Virgin with me to my new address - no problems...but I moved again after the 6 months at the previous address of which hadn't got a virgin media connection...BUT they wanted to charge me for opting out of the 12 month contract! I had been with Virgin way over 12 months all in all form previous addresses so I fail to understand why they wanted to charge me for opting out of their contract when It was not MY fault the new place didn't have any connection.

Don't expect an easy ride with them...
    Forum Member
    I have had similar problems....only on a wider scale.

I was with Birmingham Cable and Telewest in the 90's and when Virgin had taken over...I stayed with them, so all in all I was with them for a good 10+ years. Last year I moved address and naturally I had taken Virgin with me to my new address - no problems...but I moved again after the 6 months at the previous address of which hadn't got a virgin media connection...BUT they wanted to charge me for opting out of the 12 month contract! I had been with Virgin way over 12 months all in all form previous addresses so I fail to understand why they wanted to charge me for opting out of their contract when It was not MY fault the new place didn't have any connection.

Don't expect an easy ride with them...

It wasn't there fault that it was a non-cable property either. You chose to move into that property, not them..
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    It wasn't there fault that it was a non-cable property either. You chose to move into that property, not them..

So you are saying that I should have 'shopped' around to find a property that had a cable connection regardless of area/ rent/ suitability/ location etc...just to please Virgin Media? Are you for real?

If Virgin Media are happy to pay the extortionate rent on a property that has a connection to their services...then they are welcome to cough up every month!

It is also NOT my fault that they are in so much debt and they have put a stop to wiring up new properties! Peoples lives do not revolve around Virgin media (believe it or not)
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancel the Direct Debit and once you've moved out, who cares?

They're not going to do anything legally for the sake of a few months' payments.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying that I should have 'shopped' around to find a property that had a cable connection regardless of area/ rent/ suitability/ location etc...just to please Virgin Media? Are you for real?

If Virgin Media are happy to pay the extortionate rent on a property that has a connection to their services...then they are welcome to cough up every month!

It is also NOT my fault that they are in so much debt and they have put a stop to wiring up new properties! Peoples lives do not revolve around Virgin media (believe it or not)
    When you signed the contract you agreed to be bound by it's terms, which is 12 months. The thing is, if you speak or write to someone in management and not just a CS advisor you might get a goodwill gesture of them allowing you out of the contract. That is of course if your are decent and respectful. If you're telling them what knobs they are in your email/letter then don't expect them to play ball.

There was a thread on here a few weeks back where someone was in your exact situation and they got the contract cancelled. I'll see if I can dig the thread out.
    Sprogg wrote: »

They're not going to do anything legally for the sake of a few months' payments.
    If it's in his name it will be on his credit file for the next six years. Which is fine if he doesn't want a contract or any form of credit/finance during that time. It would be a shame to have a mortgage refused because of £100 or less bill that went unpaid a year or few earlier.

EDIT Here is the thread I mentioned.

I really must find better things to do with my days of work. :o
    Forum Member

I'm not saying that at all. It is your responsibility to ensure that YOU stick to YOUR side of the agreement. If I sign up to a gym for 12 months and move 500 miles away after 6, should I expect them to cancel my membership [fee-free] because THEY haven't got a facility near my new home? What if I had car insurance on a 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa and 6 months in, I sell that and buy customised Bentley classic, but found out that my insurance company can't change my policy because they don't cover classics, or because I'm 22 and they won't cover a 22 year old with a very expensive classic car. Should they let me out of the agreement fee free?

I know people's lives do not revolve around VM, but why should VM have to deal with other people's problems?

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?
    Forum Member
    Sprogg wrote: »

Brilliant advice. Firstly you are wrong, there is a good chance that they would chase up the payment through a debt collection agency. It may cost them a lot of money to get the DCA to find you, but they would just pass these costs on to you which they are well within their rights to do.

The least that the OP could expect is a bad record on their credit file, which could go against any applications for finance, be it credit card, mortgage, car loan or even having a credit meter for their electricity and gas supply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back when I was a student (2000-2004), ntl did 9 month contracts for students.. I take it these are long gone?
    Forum Member
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    Back when I was a student (2000-2004), ntl did 9 month contracts for students.. I take it these are long gone?

I think they are still available, but you have to ask for them.