Virgin Media " Collections " bundles

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    So it's just a case of whipping the V+ box out and plugging the Tivo in?
  • womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basically yes -

However, in my case, he then changed frequencies on the Tivo Box and adjusted Signal Strength gain at the box in the street. Whilst he was waiting for the box to initially update, (takes an hour), he moved my old V+box to the spare bedroom upstairs
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,306
    Forum Member
    horwich wrote: »
    Awaiting a call back from a manager at Virgin, as when I called they said if I change my current package to Premier collection, they will upgrade my broadband to 100 mb?
    That is wrong , The Premier collection is 60Mb , Never believe what Virgin Media customer service tell you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Called Virgin back myself an this is now what I have.

1Tivo box as before
    1 V HD box added
    Talk Evening & Weekends as before
    60 mb Broadband upgraded from 30

Total = £65.75 saving £7.75 per month.

TV contract is renewed for 12 months.

£49.95 install charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    That is wrong , The Premier collection is 60Mb , Never believe what Virgin Media customer service tell you.

If this is the case, then why (with my offer) would they tell me I can upgrade from 30mb to 60mb for an extra £5 a month, when all I can do is wait until October when the latest set of speed doubles hits my area and so get it done for nothing,

Unless they will then double my speed again for free, I cant see that many would take them up on the offer ?
    Forum Member
    horwich wrote: »
    Called Virgin back myself an this is now what I have.

1Tivo box as before
    1 V HD box added

On Virgin Media's build a bundle that package comes to £63.50 , so you are paying £2.25 too much.
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    I'm currently paying £41.90 (incl. £13.90pm for phone line) for:

V+ HD box
    M+ TV – with 75 channels
    10Mbps broadband
    Phone line with Talk Weekends.

So they'll let me switch to the Essential Collection package and charge me £3 less and I'll get a TIVO Box and triple my broadband speed straight away?

Sounds a decent deal even if I do get charged a £49.99 "connection" fee.

My broadband speed isn't due to be doubled to 20Mbps until 2013 under my existing package.

Is this a no brainer for me to switch?

Does the £38.90pm price for Essential Collection include the recent announced price increases that have to be paid on the existing packages?
    I'm paying that much for:
    M+ TV
    Tivo
    30mb BB
    Telephone and Weekend calls.
    Maybe you do need to upgrade!!
    Forum Member
    wombler wrote: »
    Well, I recently downgraded from 50 to 30mb to save money - it seems from the collections that I can upgrade to 60mb for £5 extra a month - more speed and less money than I was paying for 50mb.
    would they tell me I can upgrade from 30mb to 60mb for an extra £5 a month, when all I can do is wait until October when the latest set of speed doubles hits my area and so get it done for nothing
    You must of been downgraded to L 30Mb - That will not be doubled , as that is an increase from what L was which was 10Mb , So upgrading to XL 60Mb would cost more per month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must of been downgraded to the L 30Mb - That will not be doubled , as that is an increase from what L was which was 10Mb , So upgrading to XL 60Mb would cost more per month.

Yup - just got off the phone to them now - I can upgrade now for an extra £5, or I can wait until October and get the same thing for nothing !

Bit of a no brainer really
    Forum Member
    Yup - just got off the phone to them now - I can upgrade now for an extra £5, or I can wait until October and get the same thing for nothing !
    If you are on L 30Mb it will not get doubled ,

The XL 30Mb will get doubled to 60Mb

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think you are mis reading me.

I know I am on BBL. I was on XXL but downgraded to 30mb to save money.

My query was that why should I pay £5 a month extra now to get the extra speed now when I can wait for it for free.

Just checked, and whilst I maintain that I should have been on the old XL package (after downgrading), they have placed me on the L package which should not double.

However, customer services says it will. Suppose time will tell, but to be truthful, 30mb is fast enouugh for what I need. Anything more is just "willy waving" !

(120 would be nice to have, but serious overkill!)
    Forum Member

However, customer services says it will. Suppose time will tell,
    Customer services are telling lies again ! it will not get doubled.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33686525-60-meg.html#post35404331
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    On Virgin Media's build a bundle that package comes to £63.50 , so you are paying £2.25 too much.
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle

1Tivo box as before
    1 V HD box added

TV contract is renewed for 12 months.

£49.95 install charge

Sorry i forgot to add that i have caller display which is £2.25

So that changes my saving to £5.50 a month
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Think you are mis reading me.

I know I am on BBL. I was on XXL but downgraded to 30mb to save money.

My query was that why should I pay £5 a month extra now to get the extra speed now when I can wait for it for free.

Just checked, and whilst I maintain that I should have been on the old XL package (after downgrading), they have placed me on the L package which should not double.

However, customer services says it will. Suppose time will tell, but to be truthful, 30mb is fast enouugh for what I need. Anything more is just "willy waving" !

(120 would be nice to have, but serious overkill!)

120MB Broadband is not overkill for me at all, I used to be on 50MB come July it will go up to 120MB
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    120MB Broadband is not overkill for me at all, I used to be on 50MB come July it will go up to 120MB

Each to their own. I dont use it enough to warrant downloading a film in 5 mins instead of 20 (for example before I get flamed)

Martine - I downgraded from 50mb to 30mb, so I should be on XL. From the link supplied (BenMcr), it looks like they put me on 10mb, then immediately upgraded me to 30mb.

This was not what I asked for, so another telephone call is in order !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its suprising what happens when you speak to a second person ! - I am now on xl, and will overnight be upgraded to 60mb for free. Considering I was on 50mb prior, this is saving me some money.

As I mentioned to Joshua, I dont partiularly need 60mb, but with two daughters, internet radio's and three laptops, it will come in handy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a quick speed check shows I download at 62mb. Totally impressed at the way a phone call changes things
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Currently I have:

VIP package (primary box being the tivo and a V+ as a secondary box) with sky prem hd on both boxes.

The package comes to (after our recent price increase of £4.25): £105.71 - That's including the line rental

Am I right in thinking that with the VIP Collection (which would be £103.90 including the line rental) that as the second box is meant to be a V HD that I'd have to pay extra for it to stay as the V+?

Even if I didn't I'm not sure it would be worth paying £50 to 'upgrade' to the package just to save £1.80 a month. Looks like they've increased the value for the lower end customers though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've just changed our package to the new VIP Collection thing as some of our missing services are cheaper through this. After several phone calls to Virgin, we got through and asked to be upgraded - we were told, however, that the broadband service was 30mb, to be upgraded to 60mb.

The Virgin website advertises the Collections with speeds post-upgrade, so if this was correct, it'd be 60mb. But online, the collection states 100mb (50mb until upgrade). But when we asked why this wasn't the case, they told us it was, but to upgrade to 100mb, it'd be another £7. She said the 100mb broadband was a "special offer" or something. Are existing customers not eligible for the 100mb offer, is it a misprint like Sky Sports F1 HD, or have we been swindled?
    Forum Member
    We've just changed our package to the new VIP Collection thing as some of our missing services are cheaper through this. After several phone calls to Virgin, we got through and asked to be upgraded - we were told, however, that the broadband service was 30mb, to be upgraded to 60mb.

The Virgin website advertises the Collections with speeds post-upgrade, so if this was correct, it'd be 60mb. But online, the collection states 100mb (50mb until upgrade). But when we asked why this wasn't the case, they told us it was, but to upgrade to 100mb, it'd be another £7. She said the 100mb broadband was a "special offer" or something.
    Read this
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33686669-virgin-media-revamps-its-bundles-page-9.html#post35409667
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    VIP Collection is definately 100Mbit

It's the Premiere Collection that comes with 60Mbit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I'm going to phone up today. According to this collections thing, I'm paying about £12 more than the Premier Collection for an inferior service. Not sure if I've gone 'full retard' and I'm reading it wrong though (yes, I've added the line rental on). Soon find out I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I called them up the other day. Swapping my 10 mb for 60 mb, replacing old telewest box with V HD and swapping V+HD box for Tivo was going to be a increase of 90p then the retention lady suggested to change to ebilling so saving 85p a month. Good times.
  • Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rjs37 wrote: »
    Currently I have:

VIP package (primary box being the tivo and a V+ as a secondary box) with sky prem hd on both boxes.

The package comes to (after our recent price increase of £4.25): £105.71 - That's including the line rental

Am I right in thinking that with the VIP Collection (which would be £103.90 including the line rental) that as the second box is meant to be a V HD that I'd have to pay extra for it to stay as the V+?

Even if I didn't I'm not sure it would be worth paying £50 to 'upgrade' to the package just to save £1.80 a month. Looks like they've increased the value for the lower end customers though.

I have just changed from 50 meg VIP to the new Premiere and I will be able to retain 500 Tivo & a fully working V+ box in the pack I have agreed.
    Saved £25 ish on monthlt bill, just lost movies that we hardly ever used and gone to lower phone pack. Well chuffed.
    Oh and got 60m broadband now (well by next Thursday when they install a super hub) instead of 50 m