FM Radio Stations You Can Pick Up Further a field..

occyoccy Posts: 65,128
Forum Member
✭✭
Noticed your able to pick up LBC 97.3 FM just on the edge of Southampton around the M27.

Is there any radio station far outside your county your able to pick up on FM?

Comments

• Vince800Vince800 Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Noticed your able to pick up LBC 97.3 FM just on the edge of Southampton around the M27.

Is there any radio station far outside your county your able to pick up on FM?

It's quite common to be able to receive bits of London FM reception in the area you have mentioned. Likewise, Wave 105 from your area makes it out really far, I've heard it in Cambridgeshire before.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    I can get Radio Cumbria on 96.1 and Leeds on 92.4. Back in the 80's on a Sharp ghetto blaster I could get Viking on (I think 102.5) and Pennine (on 96.3?).
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sort of thing has become less common since the FM band filled up. Viking FM and Galaxy 105.1 were two Yorkshire stations that used to go a long way.

Heart 100.7 from Bilsdale still gets into Sheffield and beyond until Heart Birmingham finally kills it around the Derbyshire border.
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can receive BBC Radio Cymru on 104.3 all over the North West of England
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,304
    Forum Member
    I can pick up Capital Liverpool and Radio City clear as a bell in Anglesey.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah that station gets into Birmingham as well.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland's Today FM on 101.4 is quite easy to receive at my house in my part of Telford. About 100 yards down the road and it disappears.
    Must be a line of sight thing.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can get that thing here in Telford, with RDS and clear stereo. Much clearer than Signal 107 situated 5 miles from my house!
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire, BBC Tees, TFM, Heart Northeast, Lincs FM and Capital Northeast can all be received clearly here.

In other parts of Dewsbury it is possible to get good reception for Radio Manchester and Radio Lancashire.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Vince800 wrote: »
    It's quite common to be able to receive bits of London FM reception in the area you have mentioned. Likewise, Wave 105 from your area makes it out really far, I've heard it in Cambridgeshire before.

I've sat on Reigate Hill before listening to Wave.
  • Radio MaxRadio Max Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Between Didcot and Newbury on the A34 you can pick up Wave 105 in stereo with RDS
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Yeah that station gets into Birmingham as well.
    ...and Radio Cymru on 96.8 covers everywhere south of Birmingham.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, over on a.m. I used to listen to Capital Gold in Budapest.
  • meerkat-martinmeerkat-martin Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    You can receive More Radio Eastbourne on 107.5 from Blue Bell Hill in Kent which is impressive as they have such a small transmitter, It would go further but Time 107.5 cuts in.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Newcastle on 96.0 can be easily received in Monifieth, east of Dundee.

In the other direction, Tay FM from Dundee romps in south of Berwick on the A1.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock FM all the way down to Stoke-on-Trent on the M6, and in the reverse Signal 1 in Preston.

Back in Preston I also used to be able to get Radio Cumbria, Dublin's Lite FM, North Wales' Coast 96.3, RTÉ Radio 1 FM, RTÉ Radio 2 FM, and down at Morrisons you used to be able to get Galaxy 105.8 from East Yorkshire!
  • bexdxbexdx Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I can pick up Crystal Palace all the time but the signal is not that strong. It's fuzzy but listenable. I also get stations from the coast of France all the time such as Virgin Radio, Fun, Skyrock, Radio 6, Musique, Bleu-nord, Culture, France Info, Inter and Europe 1. These are often at RDS levels.
  • derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here in peterborough i can get with full rds-

106.0 gem
    96.7 klfm
    102.2 linc fm
    97.4 rutland radio
    105.4 capital (leicester)
    106.6 smooth (east mids)
    103.0 heart cambridge
    103.3 heart mk
    96.6 heart northampton
    96.9 heart bedford (viking hull during atmospherics)
    94.9 bbc lincolnshire
    104.9 bbc leicester
    104.4 bbc norfolk
    103.6 bbc northampton

without rds (weaker signal)

107.1/9 star cambridge/ely
    107.5 tulip radio
    104.0 hcr (huntingdon)
    96.3 corby radio
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC 'hub' (i.e. based in regional production centres) local stations tend to have rather more powerful signals than their regional partners but of course geography comes into it.

Until the switch to BBC Somerset the Mendip 95.5 Radio Bristol signal could be heard from Gloucestershire down to south Devon, albeit compromised at the northern end by BBC WM on 95.6.

Radio Solent's 96.1 can be easily heard on the Wiltshire section of the M4.

An exception is Radio Manchester which does carry well to the west does struggle in the other three directions.

On the eastern side Lincolnshire and Humberside benefit from the flat landscape to carry long distances, especially in the former's case coming from Belmont.
  • ACL777ACL777 Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Norwich and pick up the following,

Lincs FM
    BBC Suffolk
    Town FM
    Radio 538
    Studio Brussels
    Q Music
    Sublime FM
    BBC Essex
    France Bleu

These come in on a portable with whip aerial under relatively normal conditions.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tay FM on 102.8 in the Falkirk area.
  • Alex CatorAlex Cator Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Used to pick up a few German stations on scatter on a regular basis using my Triax FM3 until the connection box broke lol

like:
    105.7 Antenne Niedersachsen, Steinkimmen
    105.5 1Live Teutoburger Wald
    101.8 Deutschlandfunk, Aurich
    94.8 SWR3, Linz
    106.7 1Live, Langenberg

I could also regularly hear France Inter 95.4 and France Musique 89.4 from Brest on scatter using the Triax FM3. I can hear the following on my portables regularly on scatter, especially in the summer, like:

105.2/103.7/98.0/94.7/88.7 France Info/Inter/Culture/Bleu Nord/Musique, Lille, France
    102.6/106.0/101.8 RTBF Musiq'3/La Premiere/Vivacite, Tournai, Belgium
    102.1/98.6/95.7/90.4/104.1/103.0 VRT Stubru/VRT R2/VRT R1/VRT Klara/Joe FM/Qmusic, Egem, Belgium
    100.7/96.8 Qmusic/NPO 3FM, IJsselstein, Netherlands
    101.2/102.1/91.1 Sky Radio/538/Slam, Hilversum, Netherlands
    100.7/88.9 Radio 100,7/RTL Letzebuerg, Dudelange, Luxembourg
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get Welsh stuff here in Bristol, unsurprisingly. I know it's not FM, but I can pick up Radio XL (1296 MW) from Birmingham, even during the day (barely). I guess they must use quite a high power.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15+ years ago, I often used to get Bleu Nord Lille 94.7 in the car while crossing Mitcham Common. Don't know if it is still possible as I don't get that way these days.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Capital London and other crank up there transmitters sometimes when Ofcom wernt listening