Options

Sky + Offers

Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
Forum Member
Well I have been wanting to have Sky + installed but the offers seem to have gone from bad to worse.

Why is it that if you get Sky + HD you get everything for free but go for Sky + and no HD you have to pay for set up and now the box too?? Its a bloody disgrace.

I can't afford the extra £10pm for HD and dont have a HD tv so it would be pointless if I did. Sky are pretty much saying that I have to pay for not keeping up with the HD technology.

So why is Sky now making new customers pay to get their product. I remember not so long ago people on here were moaning that new customers got a better deal than existing customers............they clearly took this on board.

Have Sky not noticed that there is a bit of a recession going on and people are tightening their belts?

Oh sorry I forgot Sky have just blown a small fortune on Virgins channels and getting 3D off the ground :p

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    No they didn't take this on board, I have been a customer of Sky for 17 years and have never had any offers from them. They don't really care because they do not see Virgin as competition at present, hopefully IP tv services may change things but until then you just need to live with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjuk wrote: »
    No they didn't take this on board, I have been a customer of Sky for 17 years and have never had any offers from them. They don't really care because they do not see Virgin as competition at present, hopefully IP tv services may change things but until then you just need to live with it.

Why don't you phone Sky - I did and said that although I was happy with my Sky packs I was finding the increasing costs irritating - and they gave me half price for six months.:D
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bald1 wrote: »
    Have Sky not noticed that there is a bit of a recession going on and people are tightening their belts?
    Probably. That's why you don't get so much for free anymore. Fewer subscribers = less scope to make reductions.

Isn't a current Sky box for £120 still a reasonable deal though? Ok, you don't need the HD sub but cancel it after a year and you still have a box capable of getting HD should you change your TV later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Why don't you phone Sky - I did and said that although I was happy with my Sky packs I was finding the increasing costs irritating - and they gave me half price for six months.:D

Like you I'm happy with my service and the overall package but find the costs a bit annoying. I'm also reading forums where many people seem to be getting deals like you mention.

My question is this: how much did you have to push? I'm not great at haggling and wouldn't like to threaten to cancel because knowing my luck they'd just cancel me without any offer. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I phoned Sky last week to cancel my HD because I realised I wasn't watching it. I also went to cancel my Sport and my MultiRoom.

Sky told me not to get rid of HD and offered me a 20% discount on my bill - making a discount of £10.20 (my monthly bill is £71) so effectively HD for free. The only thing was I had to keep HD for free for six months.

I asked if I could cancel the other stuff and they said yes not a problem. Just keep the HD for six months.

I asked about turning my multiroom box into a free to air box (a freeview box so to speak) and they said I could do it if I bought a £25 card (no idea what that is - anyone help?)

Regards

Gareth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    welsh_gje wrote: »
    I asked about turning my multiroom box into a free to air box (a freeview box so to speak) and they said I could do it if I bought a £25 card (no idea what that is - anyone help?)
    Replacement FTA viewing card.
    You don't need to buy a card, as your existing multiroom subscription card will automatically default to a FTV card if you cancel your multiroom subscription.
    Either way, you will lose all access to your recordings and box recording features.