Looking To Voluteer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
I have a few days off a week and have been meaning to use that time more productively rather than moping around the house all day. Noticed there were quite a few foodbanks cropping up and thought that it seemed a worthwhile project to get involved with.

I've approached volunteering before when I was out of work and found it as competitive as the jobs market, didn't get anywhere. I'm hoping I can get somewhere this time, it just seems such a waste of a life just sitting around on my days off.

Has anyone here worked at a foodbank?

And do employers frown on you if you have a role as a volunteer?

Comments

• DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you think employers would frown on you if you have worked as a volunteer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

ooh, thanks for that, I'll give a few of them a try.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I haven't volunteered for a food bank but do volunteer at a local mental health charity and they do soup kitchen's and the like.

We're hoping to do one next month. Even better if we can get a grant from the council.

If you have a slow cooker or just a big pan then i'm sure a soup or stew would go down well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I used to Volunteer at a charity shop .... they were only too happy to have me helping them. I was on the shop floor, working the till. I loved the regulars and chatting to many a different folk who'd come into the shop.
    K x
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies. I've emailed a few and just waiting for a response.

Why would you think employers would frown on you if you have worked as a volunteer?

I was concerned about my employer having an issue with me doing something that may be deemed as a commitment to something other than duties at work, you know how some companies like you to be married to the company. You have days off work but I think some like to assume that you're just a phone call away from dropping everything and rushing in in an emergency. They may not be too thrilled at the idea that I'm away from my phone, so to speak. But I'm hoping they won't have to know about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »

I was concerned about my employer having an issue with me doing something that may be deemed as a commitment to something other than duties at work, you know how some companies like you to be married to the company. You have days off work but I think some like to assume that you're just a phone call away from dropping everything and rushing in in an emergency. They may not be too thrilled at the idea that I'm away from my phone, so to speak. But I'm hoping they won't have to know about it.

ah. Well I think whatvyou outside worknhours has got bugger all to do with your employers so long as what it is doesn't interfere when you are there. If anything, id hope your bosses are the kind of people that would admire an employee for volunteering.

Unless you are on call or something, I wouldn't answer my phone from work people outside hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    ah. Well I think whatvyou outside worknhours has got bugger all to do with your employers so long as what it is doesn't interfere when you are there. If anything, id hope your bosses are the kind of people that would admire an employee for volunteering.

Unless you are on call or something, I wouldn't answer my phone from work people outside hours.

Unfortunately some employers do seem to want to push things as far as knowing about your activities.

My brother's brother-in-law had an application form for a job and they wanted to knw if he was on Facebook or Twitter and details about that. He said no to both and they didn't believe him. It's true he doesn't because he can't be bothered with them.

They also wanted his mobile phone number. Not easy as he doesn't have a mobile either. Again he put on the form he didn't have a mobile, they didn't believe him. He asked why they needed it, they can just call his home phone. They said they need it so they can contact him at anytime.

He threw away any chance of getting the job when he told them unless it's a level of importance of the world is going to explode in the next 10 minutes he doesn't want them calling him at anytime. His own time is his and not theirs. Even if it's just to ask a simple yes no question that takes 10 seconds, he isn't at work and won't appreciate the phone call and whomever calls him certainly won't appreciate the reply that will be a two worded response.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience of volunteering was far from positive.

I had some great ideas for the project (by the organisors admission) but when it came to people providing contant for the website etc, no one could be bothered. A waste of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately some employers do seem to want to push things as far as knowing about your activities.

My brother's brother-in-law had an application form for a job and they wanted to knw if he was on Facebook or Twitter and details about that. He said no to both and they didn't believe him. It's true he doesn't because he can't be bothered with them.

They also wanted his mobile phone number. Not easy as he doesn't have a mobile either. Again he put on the form he didn't have a mobile, they didn't believe him. He asked why they needed it, they can just call his home phone. They said they need it so they can contact him at anytime.

He threw away any chance of getting the job when he told them unless it's a level of importance of the world is going to explode in the next 10 minutes he doesn't want them calling him at anytime. His own time is his and not theirs. Even if it's just to ask a simple yes no question that takes 10 seconds, he isn't at work and won't appreciate the phone call and whomever calls him certainly won't appreciate the reply that will be a two worded response.

Blimey! Alarm bells would ring if a company did that to me at an interview, I'd probably not want the job, and I certainly don't blame your brother in law.

I don't have a work mobile, but my boss has my private one which I don't mind, though no one else has. My boss is respectful bout it through, he only rings me in work hours, to talk about work things, and he always tries the work landline first.

My employers don't own me, and of they want to contact me in a non-emergency situation, it can wait til Monday. Though I have no idea why work would WANT to call me on a Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Alarm bells would ring if a company did that to me at an interview, I'd probably not want the job, and I certainly don't blame your brother in law.

I don't have a work mobile, but my boss has my private one which I don't mind, though no one else has. My boss is respectful bout it through, he only rings me in work hours, to talk about work things, and he always tries the work landline first.

My employers don't own me, and of they want to contact me in a non-emergency situation, it can wait til Monday. Though I have no idea why work would WANT to call me on a Sunday.

They could have details of my Facebook, it is totally private and I have two profiles, one under an alias where I post what i want and the other as me where I never used to post anything NSFW. i did this for that very reason. Nosey gits want to know everything!

Although to be fair I think it is sod all to do with an employer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have details of my Facebook, it is totally private and I have two profiles, one under an alias where I post what i want and the other as me where I never used to post anything NSFW. i did this for that very reason. Nosey gits want to know everything!

Although to be fair I think it is sod all to do with an employer.

Tbh, id probably tell them yes I do have a Facebook account, it's locked down anyway so they wouldn't find out much. But still, I'd be suspicious of an employer that did want to look at my Facebook account and find out more about my private life than I was prepared to tell them at interview, I agree, it's none of their business!!!
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could volunteer at your local hospital? Hospitals want all kinds of volunteers to do things like Keep patients calm if they are alone, greeting patients with a smile, taking books around the wards, taking in patients to chapel. etc
    Forum Member
    well, I contacted a few of these places and guess what? Nothing!!! Not even a thank you for enquiring. :confused::mad:

Since I'm currently on holiday and climbing the walls with boredom I thought I'd get in touch with a few of them again. Had a conversation with one organisation and they said I would have to email them, I explained I'd already done that. Not long after I got a call back from this woman who was a bit off with me, explaining that I would have to fill out a form but don't expect to hear from us because we may not need you. Fair enough but why continually update your website with volunteer requests? :confused:

Needless to say, I've still not received the form. :mad:

I just don't get these people. :(
  • mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭