Should ITV launch a CITV Gold channel?

2»

Comments

• jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Jr, used to do something similar in the evenings, showing Portland Bill, Rainbow, Trumpton, Bagpuss, Mr Ben, Thomas the Tank Engine, might have been more shows than that but cant remember.

Bagpuss, and Trumpton and Mr Benn, got showed in that slot for years, god knows how many times each of those epsiodes got repeated as only 13 shoes of most of them were ever made
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    It would work to have a slot on the channel, but unfortunately these shows cost money. I guess on the other hand, My Parents are Aliens and Jungle Run are still being shown and they are years old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at the least maybe classic shows could get added to ITV Player, so that would be a win or a small classic block of show. There is time from The Zone that could be given to the CITV Channel if they wanted to, but likely they won't

Do note that CITV have viewed message boards and popular Fan Pages (like mine http://www.facebook.com/sootysweepandsoo) in order to receive feedback and get responses, so know they are listening.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I want to say Yes but I agree that the novelty would wear off. Mind you, surely that's why YouTube was invented! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there could be a market for another Kids channel, maybe not just old CITV shows but a good mix of cartoons and some of the older drama's would add something new to the mix. It could be a flash in the pan but CITV could always run test days over the year to see if viewing numbers went up or they could run classic days over school holidays etc. to see what appeal there was to their target audience.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I think of all the suggestions here, a 2 hour ITV3 slot at weekends would work really well.
  • The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Here's the thing, when I was growing up in the mid to 80's to mid 90's and watching children's programming on CBBC and CITV, they used to show old shows interspersed with the current stuff (Johnny Briggs, Simon and the Witch et al) all the time.

Because clearing the rights is a bloody Knightmare.

ITV have probably spent more lawyers time clearing these episodes for this weekend than they on the other 363 days of content for CITV put together, and they probably spent a month's budget doing it.

It worked really well as a nostalgia weekend that attracted signifcant publicity. It would be a financial disaster to try and do it more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with some others on here, there will never be a CITV classics channel, too costly for very little return.

I watched some of the weekend and yes for the novelty of not seeing them for years it was good to see Spatz, Supergran and Woof, but would I watch it on a regular basis? NO

In fact Supergran was totally unwatchable thanks to the awful soundtrack drowning out the what they were saying.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Thing is, with ITV not making any more children's programming, surely all of it is going to be 'classic' eventually?

Put the series they showed on the ITV player in full, and take it from there.
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point in launching a seperate channel when they have 12 hours of down time after 6pm.

Why not extend hours of the CITV Channel til 9 or 10pm even if Sky and Virgin viewers are the only ones who can watch it after 6pm despite it's 12 hour space on Freeview nothing stopping ITV from doing so.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think of all the suggestions here, a 2 hour ITV3 slot at weekends would work really well.

No it would not. The CITV repeats are being watched by 25-35 year olds. ITV3 target audience is 50+

Stick the old CITV stuff on ITV1 weekend mornings from 9.30 to midday I'd say. Either that or ITV2.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion a CITV Gold Channel just wouldn't bring the viewers in. Maybe the occasional repeat of a series on the CITV Channel could work...or a potential remake of some programmes for a Family audience (with NO celebrities please).
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    Because clearing the rights is a bloody Knightmare.

ITV have probably spent more lawyers time clearing these episodes for this weekend than they on the other 363 days of content for CITV put together, and they probably spent a month's budget doing it.

It worked really well as a nostalgia weekend that attracted signifcant publicity. It would be a financial disaster to try and do it more.

I'm not sure, I think doing it once every year on CITV's birthday weekend wouldn't need the boat to be pushed out.

Of course, the other thing the success of the Old Skool Weekend may lead to is other children's channels possibly making their own enquiries about purchasing CITV's archive shows to screen themselves.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    PowerJC wrote: »
    Problem is once the novelty wears of viewers disappear. Nickelodeon tried it with nick toonsters a few years ago showing old nick toons and it didn't last long. Boomerang also started as a classic channel then started showing new stuff. Though a few more weekends like this will probably continue to bring in the viewers, and a strand on itv3 would probably do well with rotating programs.
    Nickelodeon also tried it in America, with a block called The 90s are All That, which airs on weekends on TeenNick. Been running for over a year, so it must be working.

Also, have you seen the schedules of Pop and Kix, two Sky exclusive kids channels? Full of old shows from the 80s and 90s.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope ITV eventually uturn on kids TV programmes, last weekend shows when ITV get it right they really get it right. i'd settle for family based shows that premiere on ITV1 a la Britannia High that are then shown on CITV.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I think doing it once every year on CITV's birthday weekend wouldn't need the boat to be pushed out.

Of course, the other thing the success of the Old Skool Weekend may lead to is other children's channels possibly making their own enquiries about purchasing CITV's archive shows to screen themselves.

Also bear in mind, once they've done all the leg work once, it'd be easier and quicker to do again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also like to ask how come we didn't get any of the older Disney cartoons such as Tailspin, Ducktales, Chip & Dale etc. as I recall watching them on CITV and they where also fun or was it all more geared just to British content which is reasonable just wondering

I suppose it will be because Disney being so nuts about control that once a show has been on once that's it game over? Which seems silly as surely they could make quite a bit of cash with broadcast rights as there would be a whole new generation of children who haven't seen the shows before a lot of parents reliving their childhoods.

Or is that just me:)
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annoyingly missed most of the shows on the retro weekend mainly due to completely forgetting about it when i woke up on bith days til about 4ish, did however manage to see press gang on both days and such thoroughly enjoyed the first ever and last ever episodes but now i'm hungry for more, surely the whole series would be a great fit for a repeat showing on itv3
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More of the shows seem to have been uploaded to the ITV Player: https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/categories/children/latest
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most shows have been uploaded to youtube over the years, you will also find many shows from Saturday Mornings on there, last night, I was watching a Gimme 5 from June 94, I think it was and Jenny Powell does not look much older now then she did back then.

What shows did Nobby the Sheep appear in, I saw him on the Gimme 5 show, I thought he only done Ghost Train,
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have attempted to set up an entertainment TV channel before and I don't think ITV should create it as in individual TV channel even with the money they have, it would make more sense to extend the CITV channel's broadcasting hours and use those extra hours for making it as a strand for archived programmes.

Although the ratings were high for the Old Skool Weekend to maintain the high ratings and viewer interest the programmes would have to be shown weekly or twice weekly. A reason being is CITV on ITV1 was about 8 hours per week excluding weekend children's programmes. A 12 hour channel daily channel would go through about 10 weeks of classic programmes in 1 week. Even if CITV were to get the rights for programmes originally shown on other channels such as the BBC, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network there would be a lack of content and high costs compared to a 2/3 hour slot on the CITV channel.

The name CITV Gold would probably cause an issue with UKTV as they have a channel called GOLD so CITV Old Skool or CITV Classic would be a more usable name.