Shocking rail announcement

18910111214»

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said:

"It's relevant because it's very easy for some to indulge in sanctimonious faux outrage, but there is no way they'd get involved in the nasty business of dealing with cleaning up the mess. There's a level of hypocritical condemnation towards the announcer, which is unsympathetic and insensitive"

It's silly to suggest that people who condemn (or to use your way-over-the-top description 'indulge in sanctimonious faux outrage') the announcement have no right to do so because they wouldn't want to do the appalling and traumatic job of clearing the scene of the suicide.

Yes, I know what I said, and I stick by it. The fact that you disagree does not negate its validity one iota.

What's silly is you persisting with this closed argument.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    primer wrote: »
    And at least it was amusing which Is more than I can say for you.

Different strokes for different folks, but thanks for the compliment. I'm quite glad my sense of humour is difference from yours.
    #cringe

You don't need to be offended on my behalf. It was said in jest obviously.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks, but thanks for the compliment. I'm quite glad my sense of humour is difference from yours.

you already made you rapier sharp reply to my post. it was 12 hours late at the time. coming back for another go after 11 days is a bit #doublecringe.
    You don't need to be offended on my behalf. It was said in jest obviously.

thanks for over sharing.
    Forum Member
    you already made you rapier sharp reply to my post. it was 12 hours late at the time. coming back for another go after 11 days is a bit #doublecringe.

thanks for over sharing.

Seriously. 12 hours late initially (you never know, I had other things to do, rather than post on DS) and then 11 days later. It's hardly bumping a 5 year old thread. Over sharing what. :o

:D
    Forum Member
    Anyway.

FGW have written back to me by letter offering their profound apologies.

Part of the letter states.

'We are seeking a interview with the train manager concerned and based on our findings her line manager will make a recommendation. If further action is deemed necessary this could range from additional training through to dismissal.'
    Forum Member
    And just for the record.

In the Reading to Didcot video I posted above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEyKrkVa2I

A series of rapid beeps is the signal to acknowledge the dead mans handle. If you don't, the train will come to an automatic stop.

Another signal is moving from one (mobile) communication area to another.

A ding will sound when approaching a green signal. A different sound will be given out when approaching a red or amber signal. Amber being caution or slow down, red being stop.

Also, you need to look out for line side speed restrictions, normal operating speeds or yellow markers for TSRs (temporary speed restrictions).