Options

melanie c is so underrated

eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
Forum Member
✭✭✭
she is a major talent. her singing ability is one of the best from her time, she writes all her own music and even has her own record label, her songs and albums are always very good and have a deep meaning, so why has she not made it as a solo star while all the not so talented people get to be successful.

Comments

• Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happen to agree - seemed to have a better singing voice than the rest of the Spice Girls.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i love mel c
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    The songs she has released haven't been very good.

AND, because she's a woman. She hasn't wandered around wearing a dress made of meat, or shaved all her hair off in a fit of rage, or pimped herself out by performing practically nude on stage and imitating sexual acts. These are the sorts of things women need to do these days to be noticed by the general public. Acts like Rihanna, Christina and Britney are just a step up from page 3 girls. The page 3 girls can't sing so they h ave to go one step further.

Men however can just sing and play instruments and people appreciate that.
  • Options
    VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably because she has her own record label and can't afford to promote the way the bigger ones do.
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie C is great (love her songs "Melt", "Yeah, Yeah", "Carolina"). I have all four her albums and they are great records. She also has a nice voice. I think she hasn't had the success she deserves as she does not fit the mold of the attractive, sexy popstar. She also releases her records independently, which makes it difficult to achieve success (see Nadine Coyle). I also think a lot of the population is very shallow. They will buy music if they think it is popular and the "in thing" and than abandon people if it is seen as unpopular to buy them (see the rest of the Spice Girls, Nadine Coyle, Duffy, the Corrs.etc.). Unfortunately it is not seen as cool or sophisticated to like anything to do with the Spice Girls at the moment.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she was good in the spice girls and her songs went were alot better than the other 4's solo efforts.

but she seems to hsve gone now, last time i saw her was in 2007 i think, but even though i liked the song she was playing i couldn't work out what it was called.
  • Options
    VinnienetVinnienet Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has had a child since then but is still going!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes amazing and halfway through her new album. Cant wait.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love Mel C. She was always my favourite Spice Girl and her solo stuff is fantastic. It's a shame she gets overlooked by many :(

Better Alone and You'll Get Yours from Beautiful Intentions are two of my favourites :D

Can't wait for album #5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I love Mel C. She was always my favourite Spice Girl and her solo stuff is fantastic. It's a shame she gets overlooked by many :(

Better Alone and You'll Get Yours from Beautiful Intentions are two of my favourites :D

Can't wait for album #5

they are all amazing and the one that i really like is first day of my life, it obviously is a personal song even though she did not write it
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I found she got more shit as she went along
    However, her early stuff is fantastic and she is the only spice girl solo who i am not afraid to still listen to

I still listen to When your gone (with bryan addams) and Never be the same again (with lisa lopez)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    However, her early stuff is fantastic and she is the only spice girl solo who i am not afraid to still listen to

I still listen to When your gone (with bryan addams) and Never be the same again (with lisa lopez)

i don't think it got worse as it went by, i do believe her 3rd album was her best every song is clearly a personal song to her, but if you like her early stuff you might be in luck as she is aiming for similar stuff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »

I agree with this

She never released an album as good as the first IMO

I'll still listen to any new material though
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I adore her. My two favourite albums are Northern Star and Beautiful Intentions. I think the problem is that she does so many different styles that it's hard for her to build an audience. People aren't sure where to place her. I prefer her doing the guitar based rock things. I think it suits her voice the best. I'm not too big on the more ballady mellow things she did on Reason and This Time. Those are a little dull to me although beautifully performed.
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Never be the Same Again, Northern Star, I Turn to You and Here it Comes Again.

Mel can sing but I do think making her own label was a mistake as you really need a major labels support to do well in the Uk these days. Nadine Coyle as great as she and her album is would have benefited from major label support.

Oh and I really love Mels track Gaga, it plays at P3 in a Season 2 episode of Charmed :)
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can not wait for alb 5, radio should play mel more to.
  • Options
    Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's amazing! Can't wait for the next album it's been too long! I hope it's more 'Beautiful Intentions' ish than 'This Time'!
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    She was amazing in Blood Brothers.
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do think she's underrated. It's a shame. She has some brilliant songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful intentions is one of my all time fave albums.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry, but with respect .... shes shite! horrible whinney voice, unpleasant tracks, i HATE 'never be the same again', and who said she can write ?... "its just the begining its not the end, things will never be the same again"... AWFUL...

the only track she made that didnt make me wanna throw up was 'goin down'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, but with respect .... shes shite! horrible whinney voice, unpleasant tracks, i HATE 'never be the same again', and who said she can write ?... "its just the begining its not the end, things will never be the same again"... AWFUL...

the only track she made that didnt make me wanna throw up was 'goin down'.

sorry i forgot that you know how to write music don't you and she is not shite, she has one of the strongest voices around
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    If she was never a spice girl, imagine all the hype around her from the 'high brow' mags.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry i forgot that you know how to write music don't you and she is not shite, she has one of the strongest voices around

you might like her, but her voice is far from being strong... i dont like it, get over it.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    She didn't maike it because she became too rocky and obsessed with "credibility" which nobody bought. If she'd stuck more to the sound of her first album things could've been different.