Anorexia Poster Women Dies

occyoccy Posts: 64,968
Forum Member
✭✭
Anorexia poster women who became an international symbol has died. Isabella Caro aged 28 apparently died in November 2010, but her family wanted her death kept private.

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/12/29/anorexia-poster-woman-isabelle-caro-dies-at-28/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's an illness but it just seems unbelievable how people can starve themselves like that. :(
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1416709&highlight=no+anorexia

Apparently she died of 'respiratory disease'... it's a horrible reminder of what anorexia does to people much wider physically than make them abnormally thin, and affects recoverers for the rest of their lives even when they are making progress with eating.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's an illness but it just seems unbelievable how people can starve themselves like that. :(

I know, I find it hard to understand as well. At least she is free of her demons now.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this in the newspaper, it was for an Italian campaign, I saw it when I was there.
    So sad :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a waste of a life. :(
    I know it's a mental illness and I shouldn't say this but I cant help just thinking....''Silly women''. It's an illness I struggle to understand, thank godness!
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Eating disorders still aren't treated that seriously by society, though anorexia is like the cancer of eating disorders and gets more attention than the far bigger problem (in terms of the numbers suffering from it) of over-eating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Eating disorders still aren't treated that seriously by society, though anorexia is like the cancer of eating disorders and gets more attention than the far bigger problem (in terms of the numbers suffering from it) of over-eating.

That's true, there was a report on my local news the other week about a male who suffered anorexia, I can't remember what the statistics were but there a lot of male sufferers but quite often it gets overshadowed by the female cases and there's not much of an issue made about it.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    We are doing Anorexia in Psychology and from what we've studied, it is a truly awful disease that lies far deeper than just "not eating". I find those pictures of her quite frightening- a quite clearly beautiful woman who for one reaosn or another felt so troubled that she endured years of starvation.
  • Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like drug addicts. Even taking coke can give someone a heart attack. It's unlikely they will carry on their addiction thinking they'll die from it.
    This reminds me of Karen Carpenter, I have her film. Heartbreaking really :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have suffered from anorexia and bullimia since my teens although Im now 'recovered'. I say that because you never fully recover, rather just learn how to manage it. But thankfully its been a long time since it has consumed me for any lengthy period of time.

I appreciate its hard to understand but it does run much deeper than 'dieting'. I had always had a normal healthy relationship with food and went on a run of the mill diet (salad etc). I don't remember why or at what point it changed and became out of my control. I just know that it did and that I will never have a normal outlook on food and weight again. Its as if my mind has just been changed irreversibly.

The thing I miss most (sounds quite bizarre but I do have moments when I miss my more extreme years with the illness) isnt the weight loss as Im still quite slim now, but the control element of it. The feeling of superiority I guess that you have such willpower to do such a thing. Its much, much more than losing weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    This is so sad :( It's time society recognised mental illness as a "real" illness.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I have suffered from anorexia and bullimia since my teens although Im now 'recovered'. I say that because you never fully recover, rather just learn how to manage it. But thankfully its been a long time since it has consumed me for any lengthy period of time.

I appreciate its hard to understand but it does run much deeper than 'dieting'. I had always had a normal healthy relationship with food and went on a run of the mill diet (salad etc). I don't remember why or at what point it changed and became out of my control. I just know that it did and that I will never have a normal outlook on food and weight again. Its as if my mind has just been changed irreversibly.

The thing I miss most (sounds quite bizarre but I do have moments when I miss my more extreme years with the illness) isnt the weight loss as Im still quite slim now, but the control element of it. The feeling of superiority I guess that you have such willpower to do such a thing. Its much, much more than losing weight.

Some 30 plus years ago I lived with a woman who had an eating disorder. At one point after we broke up she weighed about 5 stone half her 'normal' weight. It broke my heart to see her.
    She was; is; super intelligent and your post gives me some insight into what might have driven her.
    Anyway she somehow learned to cope if not recover and she married and has a family. Was just reading a very funny letter from her when I saw this thread actually.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illnesses that involve body image are a terrible waste of your life.

Did anyone see this programme on BDD :confused:

It's so sad that Ruth couldn't see how beautiful she really is.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope all her work she did will continue.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member

It is a mental illness just like any other and sadly a slow form of suicide. More than sad it's tragic. Poor poor woman, mental illness is as real as any other we just don't understand ti well enough yet.

RIP your poor lady.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did she appear on maury povich?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been nice if this sent out a warning message to all the unfortunate anorexics out there, however, I just think they'd fob this off as this won't happen to them, or, their anorexic "friends" would just likely influence them to carry on starving themselves to a very slow death ..... which is what will happen if their bodies don't get a chance to get the nutrients it needs. I just wish the anorexics of this world could see what they're doing to themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member

Your story sounds almost identical to mine - although I have to say I found anorexia 'easier' to deal with than bulimia. When I had anorexia I felt in control, when I had bulimia I felt the exact opposite.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, very, very sad :(

Quite strange really, as I was watching a CBS interview with this lady on youtube earlier.

It seems that men are increasingly suffering from ED too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

People, including those within the medical profession, are also, in general, very unsypmathetic and even cruel toward obesity sufferers. Anorexia is treated with a much more "softly softly" approach...why can't they both be treated as equal? Both are disoders that destory people, but one is held up as being more worthy of understanding than the other. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    People, including those within the medical profession, are also, in general, very unsypmathetic and even cruel toward obesity sufferers. Anorexia is treated with a much more "softly softly" approach...why can't they both be treated as equal? Both are disoders that destory people, but one is held up as being more worthy of understanding than the other. :(

Yes, because in the long run, it's surely far healthier to be obese than it is to be dangerously underweight. Would that not explain why anorexics and bulimics get more attention?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Yes, because in the long run, it's surely far healthier to be obese than it is to be dangerously underweight. Would that not explain why anorexics and bulimics get more attention?

It's not that they get "more attention", it's that people are more willing to understand anorexia than they are obesity. I think a little more understanding and compassion toward the obsese might go a long way. Instead, people seem happy enough to just brand obsese people as lazy and disgusting and behave in very unsupportive ways that just further add to the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that she lost her battle, it seemed she'd finally managed to confront her demons, it's just a shame it was too late. The damage had been done to her body, the poor thing. Hopefully she'll rest peacefully now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    It's not that they get "more attention", it's that people are more willing to understand anorexia than they are obesity. I think a little more understanding and compassion toward the obsese might go a long way. Instead, people seem happy enough to just brand obsese people as lazy and disgusting and behave in very unsupportive ways that just further add to the problem.

I can only imagine that binge eating is just as awful. The whole "not having control" scenario, must be scary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citoig wrote: »
    It's a shame that she lost her battle, it seemed she'd finally managed to confront her demons, it's just a shame it was too late. The damage had been done to her body, the poor thing. Hopefully she'll rest peacefully now.

It's really sad. :(

And I'd like to hope her story will be a lesson to others but it seems like once this illness grips people, it rarely lets go. :(