The Royle Family Christmas Special - Xmas Day - 21:45

Comments

• Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    It's probably got something to do with Aherne now not being able to relate to the people she fondly wrote about in the original series now she's worth a few bob.

The way she writes about them now shows she now sees them as beneath her, and you can see it change throughout the Royles time on tv.

Indeed. Their portrayal used to be affectionate, now they just come across as horrible people. I hate the running joke about Dave and Denise being terrible parents for example - the Denise in Series 1 would never have been so callous.
  • windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    This programme was absolutely dire.

The script was awful, I had to stop watching it half way through because it was so bad.
    Whoever gave the go ahead for this to be made wants sacking.

The actors all look to old to play these characters, it was embarassing.

I cannot believe a family can be this thick.
  • glaschelleglaschelle Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to love the Royale Family but last nights episode of distinctly unfunny and bordering on the crude (and I'm no prude - Mrs Brown was brill!).

Think that they should have left it at the Queen of Sheba. That was a truly fabulous episode and would have been a fitting end to the programme. But then I suppose, money talks!!
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should not be allowed to be on TV again, Gringworthy indeed.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it and I can't believe the amount of miserable armchair experts on here.
    Jeez, watch something else then. It seems most people on DS seem to watch something so they can pick it to pieces.

Glad you enjoyed it. The people who thought it cringeworthy garbage are just as entitled to their opinion as you are though remember.

I watched it in the hope I was going to be entertained and have a laugh, that didn't happen for me. You can't actually decide if it's good or bad until you actually watch it though remember.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    The first 5 or 10 minutes were quite funny, however when I saw that it was on for a whole hour and most of what I saw they did the 'Dave's dickie' joke until it died a death, I had to turn over and watch Downton instead to put me out of my misery.

A joke is funny at the first hearing, but going over, and over,and over it, just makes it tedious. I realise they were stringing it out but a half hour programme of quality rather than an hour could have been a better bet.

Judging by other comments on here it didn't seem to get any better. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is shit I used to love the program but this is bloody awful, just a complete parody of its self the dressing joe part was ridiculous and now they are just flogging a dead horse, I don't even know what the episode is about? Last half decent episode was the caravan one!

I agree with everything except:
    For me the last decent episode was the Queen of Sheeba
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradley Wiggins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    It's probably got something to do with Aherne now not being able to relate to the people she fondly wrote about in the original series now she's worth a few bob.

The way she writes about them now shows she now sees them as beneath her, and you can see it change throughout the Royles time on tv.

Now i believe this could be the key. Maybe the truth is they should get different writers in? People who were fans of the show back in the day and persuade Anthony to come back?

The thing is, her and Craig Cash are now so far removed from the days when they was still writing to get commissioned and now, they are doing it and it's like they are both faking it and creating parody's of themselves, it just doesn't work
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.jellylegs.tv/contact.html you should email the production comany if you don't i'd be very happy to :)

Thanks for mentioning this site, didn't know anything about it, interesting stuff. Just watched last nights Royle Family and got a few laughs, maybe not the best episode but i aint ever gonna slag it due to the pleasure i have got from the show in the past.
    Always wondered why they do not do an Early Doors Christmas Special.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Always wondered why they do not do an Early Doors Christmas Special.

No! :eek:
    Please, no. Let it remain unspoiled.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    But OFAH didn't 'bow out on a high' the corpse kept being exhumed for one more outing until there was literally nothing left to show.:sleep:

People wanting The Royle Family to return next year in the hope that 'it'll be funnier' probably wished the same thing last time.

I point blank refused to watch OFAH after they apparently lost all the money they made from the sale of the antique watch, even though yes it is true to character for someone like Del to come in to a lot of money & then lose it - Rodney would be more careful though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was with Barbara giving Joe's dates one sheet of toilet paper instead of a serviette?:confused:
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I point blank refused to watch OFAH after they apparently lost all the money they made from the sale of the antique watch, even though yes it is true to character for someone like Del to come in to a lot of money & then lose it - Rodney would be more careful though.

TBF they were supposed to lose it in a stock market crash that nobody saw coming in real life a lot of millionaires did go broke in that one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the obsession with Dairy Lea - is that what common people eat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBF they were supposed to lose it in a stock market crash that nobody saw coming in real life a lot of millionaires did go broke in that one

Personally, I would put that amount of money in the bank & be content for it to accumulate interest - but hey that's me, I'm not greedy.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I am the biggest fan of The Royle's & always eagerly awaited the special at Christmas. After last nights showing, it should be out out of it's misery & left well alone. There was about 5 mins of laughter & the rest of the time i was clock watching as i couldn't wait for the show to end. VERY disapointed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am poor, but I like a nice bit of extra mature cheddar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very strange viewing last night... Certainly didn't feel like an episode of the Royle Family.

The mundane element of the show used to contribute greatly to how funny it was, they've lost that with the 'wacky' direction the writers have seemed to go for in recent years (probably excluding 2010).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at the posts on here, i decided to watch it for myself.

When you think how good 'The Queen of Sheba' was, how the hell was this allowed on tv.?

It was bloody awful.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it now with my family, we're about halfway through and we've barely raised a chuckle. Persevering though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't know ;)
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caroline needs to re-watch her original shows, these new ones are crap!!
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hamigo wrote: »
    After looking at the posts on here, i decided to watch it for myself.

When you think how good 'The Queen of Sheba' was, how the hell was this allowed on tv.?

It was bloody awful.

'The Queen of Sheba' would have been a perfect and fitting finale to the whole programme.

The 'specials' since 2008 have just dragged the whole concept through the mud and leave a nasty taste in the mouth.:(:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up after the scene of Joe being prepped for his date!:(