Are you an Organ Donor?

Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
Forum Member
I gave consent for every organ when I was 23. Before this, I was happy to be a donor but never got round to signing up, which apparently applies to a lot of people not on the register.

Are you an Organ Donor? 287 votes

Yes, I gave consent for all organs.
52% 151 votes
Yes, I gave consent for some organs
9% 28 votes
No, but I intend to sign up all organs
3% 11 votes
No, but I intend to signup some organs
5% 17 votes
No, I have no intention to be a organ donor.
27% 80 votes

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what happened to that poster called brian donor? gets me every time.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I'm giving this 4 minutes max until Joe comes in with his own particular brand of organ donation.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The closest one to me would be No, I have no intention to be a organ donor.

But that is only because I have a medical condition so my organs wouldn't be any good I have asked My doctor before and he said even if I had a organ donor card they couldn't use them.

If I could though I would
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consented to all my organs being taken when I applied for my provisional driving license at 17 years old.

If my organs are any use to someone after I'm gone, then that's exactly what I want to happen. I've got no use for them when I'm rotting in the ground or being cremated.

There's something quite special in thinking you could help someone in need.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Hope you realise that you're not dead when the organ is removed. A dead organ is no use to anyone.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dozyrosie wrote: »
    Hope you realise that you're not dead when the organ is removed. A dead organ is no use to anyone.

Exciting idea. Though not true in the slightest of course.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    There isn't an option for haven't really thought about it, which I haven't.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind being an organ donor. Feel uncomfortable about a face transplant though. Don't know why as I'd be dead so it wouldn't matter if someone else was walking around with my face. How do others feel about donating their face?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't mind being an organ donor. Feel uncomfortable about a face transplant though. Don't know why as I'd be dead so it wouldn't matter if someone else was walking around with my face. How do others feel about donating their face?

Ooer I didn't know they did that but imagine if somebody had Jimmy Savile's face and then all this came out :eek:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't want to donate their organs to be honest. If you're as good as dead anyway, what is the point of your healthy organs going to waste, when they could be used to save people's lives?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

Things like skin and corneas can be taken after death
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked about organ donation as a 5 year old and decided I wanted to do it, my parents agreed, it makes death quite positive, knowing that hopefully my death will give someone else another chance at life. My sister in law has said that she would like my 3 year old nephew to be one too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am. One thing I have always wondered though; I can't give blood because I like to shag men but they will harvest me when I am dead?!

I am also on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow register.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes you are, If there is no brain activity you are dead your organs are kept going by a machine until a transplant team gets to your location , But they only have a very small period of time Some organs can be transplanted whilst you are alive such as kidneys and skin

I gave my consent years ago when I got my driving license the thought that I could help up to 50 people after I am dead is a good thought to have
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to say no, but I did carry a donor card from the age of 18 to 45, then the doctor told me they can't use my organs so I stopped :(
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    I am. One thing I have always wondered though; I can't give blood because I like to shag men but they will harvest me when I am dead?!

Not allowed to use the word harvest anymore as apparently it's too cheerful sounding
    It's retrieval now!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm diabetic so I don't know if any of my organs will actually be useable, but I've consented to any of them being taken so I'll let the doctors decide when I die.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as I'm dead when the donation happens, they can take whatever they want.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I think we should operate an "opt-out" scheme rather than "opt-in" - with a very simple proviso
    (unless there is a medical reason why you cannot donate): if you opt out you can't be a recipient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind. The recipient wouldn't look particularly like you because their bone structure would be different. I assume that someone needing a face transplant might hope for someone younger though. (than me, not you, you understand).
    ylomyloh wrote: »

There seems no rule at all against using organs from sexually active gay men. All I can suggest is that organs are more extensively tested than blood. There was a case recently of a young woman who received a lung transplant from a heavy smoker, then developed lung cancer though. That didn't sound brilliant. Evidently smokers are not prevented from donating lungs.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only people who can't donate their organs are those who are HIV + or have variant CJD. Other than that anyone can do so, even if they can't give blood.

There was a bit of a mess a few years ago where people had been registered as a donor against their wishes or their donation wishes had been unknowingly altered, eg. they had wanted to donate their heart but not their eyes but the register showed the reverse.

The post above about not being taken from a "dead" body is partly true, as confirmed the person is still being kept artificially alive but there are organs that don't rely on this.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on the register stipulating that they're fully welcome to take anything and everything that might be usable. I'd say my liver is beyond hope, but that would be a medical decision.

I'll never understand those people who object to it and won't do it (unless on good medical grounds, that is). Strikes me as the height of selfishness to prevent somebody else having something that you certianly don't need and which would do them some good. But that's just me.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot who don't want to donate their eyes because they "want to see where they're going next" but most people when this mix up occurred seemed happy to continue to remain on the register.

Just another point to bear in mind, it's YOUR wishes that will be respected. If your family objects when you've consented it will be your decision taken over theirs.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I'm on the register stipulating that they're fully welcome to take anything and everything that might be usable. I'd say my liver is beyond hope, but that would be a medical decision.

I'll never understand those people who object to it and won't do it (unless on good medical grounds, that is). Strikes me as the height of selfishness to prevent somebody else having something that you certianly don't need and which would do them some good. But that's just me.

I won't do it because I'm very :eek: about people rooting around in my body even when I'm dead
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't do it because I'm very :eek: about people rooting around in my body even when I'm dead
    Do you recognise that that's an utterly irrational notion, though?

Have you ever had surgery of any kind?