Options

2015/16 Football League TV Fixtures Thread

jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As from next season Sky will be showing 112 FL games in the regular season, i thought it deserved its own thread like they do with the Premier League fixtures

Hopefully with more games being shown, before the season starts, we will get a nice block of fixtures announced but not counting chickens.

We dont no what the quota will be, maybe show every team at least twice a season at home.

Maybe a minimum of every team 3 times would be good, then they could do what they wanted.

I guess the teams with most picks will be, Leeds, Derby, Notts Forest, Wolves, QPR, Hull, i guess deep down they would love Newcastle to get relegated

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Seems more than a little early for the thread given the season hasn't finished yet but that's no big deal.

I agree that with the new deal the minimum for home games and games generally should be increased. I don't think it helps in a way that unless you're a big team or going for promotion etc that you won't get many home games live as obviously if you're a big team you likely have a decent amount of money, and getting another dollop of it say 7 times a season if you were shown live 7 times just increases your financial advantage as such, personally I'd like it to switch to more like the PL model where you get paid for x number of games being shown regardless of how many times you actually do get shown (random numbers being say £500k guaranteed but then if you are shown more, especially at home, you only get a small amount more, maybe £10-20k).

If Newcastle do go down (I don't think they will given Hull's last 2 games of the season and realistically needing to win 1 of those I'd say) then it'll be like the other year where the majority of their games were live on TV (that sort of situation where a massive team comes down is a good reason to have a sensible maximum quota in my view).

Not sure what the split is in terms of Championship, L1 and L2 but either way I hope we don't end up with some teams being shown say 12-15 times a season now that more games can be picked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Seems more than a little early for the thread given the season hasn't finished yet but that's no big deal.

I agree that with the new deal the minimum for home games and games generally should be increased. I don't think it helps in a way that unless you're a big team or going for promotion etc that you won't get many home games live as obviously if you're a big team you likely have a decent amount of money, and getting another dollop of it say 7 times a season if you were shown live 7 times just increases your financial advantage as such, personally I'd like it to switch to more like the PL model where you get paid for x number of games being shown regardless of how many times you actually do get shown (random numbers being say £500k guaranteed but then if you are shown more, especially at home, you only get a small amount more, maybe £10-20k).

If Newcastle do go down (I don't think they will given Hull's last 2 games of the season and realistically needing to win 1 of those I'd say) then it'll be like the other year where the majority of their games were live on TV (that sort of situation where a massive team comes down is a good reason to have a sensible maximum quota in my view).

Not sure what the split is in terms of Championship, L1 and L2 but either way I hope we don't end up with some teams being shown say 12-15 times a season now that more games can be picked.

started the thread as there is already a Premier League version
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the extra games will be when the champions league used to be shown
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I'm guessing the extra games will be when the champions league used to be shown

not sure how many games that would mean, but it would be good, if they went around the grounds.

show as many matches thet can, by showing a team at home, just the once.

Sky Sports HQ, could spend the day at the ground, doing an access all areas type thing.

Because no doubt, BT will have some live programming during the day hypeing up there CL stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apologies jazzy, I hadn't noticed the PL TV fixtures thread for next season that had appeared.

Definitely agree about them showing a game maybe every Tuesday/Wednesday of the midweek rounds, with more emphasis possibly on if it's a CL midweek. There's usually around 10 midweek rounds a season (it might vary year to year but it's usually between 8-10) so you could show nearly every team at home in a midweek round (if there were 10 midweek rounds that is).

Obviously next season FL games on Saturdays will still kick off at the same time as they do now, but I expect that when the new PL deal kicks in, Sky will switch their live Saturday FL games to Saturday evening again so it doesn't clash with their own PL coverage on the Saturday lunchtime.

The rest of them I expect to be Friday nights along with the occasional Sunday and Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies jazzy, I hadn't noticed the PL TV fixtures thread for next season that had appeared.

Definitely agree about them showing a game maybe every Tuesday/Wednesday of the midweek rounds, with more emphasis possibly on if it's a CL midweek. There's usually around 10 midweek rounds a season (it might vary year to year but it's usually between 8-10) so you could show nearly every team at home in a midweek round (if there were 10 midweek rounds that is).

Obviously next season FL games on Saturdays will still kick off at the same time as they do now, but I expect that when the new PL deal kicks in, Sky will switch their live Saturday FL games to Saturday evening again so it doesn't clash with their own PL coverage on the Saturday lunchtime.

The rest of them I expect to be Friday nights along with the occasional Sunday and Monday.

Would Ssaturday evening work i mean 7.30/7.45 as having Plymouth v Wycombe last saturday was something different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I doubt they'd pick that as a regular slot for live football. Apart from potential public transport issues at the time that'd finish on a Saturday night, the ratings would likely be quite small as people would be out or more likely to sit in watching one of the many 'talent/singing' shows or general entertainment shows, so personally I'd be beyond stunned if they ever went down that route regularly. I just don't think the viewing figures would make it even remotely worthwhile to do it. Could you imagine (just as an example) Charlton v Blackburn on a Saturday night at 7.45pm up against something like the X Factor and Doctor Who? The viewing figures would be pitiful I think.
  • Options
    Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Would Ssaturday evening work i mean 7.30/7.45 as having Plymouth v Wycombe last saturday was something different

Perhaps ask the Wycombe fans that question...
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    Perhaps ask the Wycombe fans that question...

I think most Wycombe fans enjoyed going down to Home Park... I doubt you'll get much More out of us this morning...
    (I sadly had to watch in the pub...) ;)
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume Sky will show Football League games on CL nights since I assume games outside the top flight are not covered by the UEFA restrictions.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which was signed first

BT new Champions League contract
    OR
    Sky new Football League deal ???

If it was Sky then they would not have suggested midweek games
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Which was signed first

BT new Champions League contract
    OR
    Sky new Football League deal ???

If it was Sky then they would not have suggested midweek games

July 2013: Sky wins FL rights 2015/18

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/news/8829834/sky-sports-agrees-deal-to-broadcast-football-league-until-2018

November 2013: BT wins CL rights 2015/18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    started the thread as there is already a Premier League version

Yes, but that was also started early. Should I start the 2016-2017 season threads anyone, afterall we know they will happen.

With regards to the question, about Saturday 7:30pm/7:45pm kickoffs, I would like to watch X factor and Strictly come dancing, Ant & Dec's Saturday night takeaway, and Britain's got Talent. Yes I like football, but football at that point on a Saturday (after there has already been 2 live matches, and all of the 3:00pm kickoffs would be a bit too much for me.)
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Sky will wait until after next weeks BT Champions League announcement before releasing details on their New League deal ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok so the fixtures are out and though we don't know how many games will be shown by Sky on the opening weekend due to the new deal (or the split of Championship/L1/L2 games now) I think we might see some of the following being shown:

Charlton v QPR (London derby, QPR newly relegated)
    Leeds v Burnley (big team at home to newly relegated team)
    Possibly Hull v Huddersfield (newly relegated team plus it's sort of a bit local though none of our fans really consider it a local derby)
    Preston v Middlesbrough (newly promoted team at home to team that lost in the playoff final last season)

If they show any L1/L2 games they might go for Coventry v Wigan, Colchester v Blackpool, Exter v Yeovil or Leyton Orient v Barnet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so the fixtures are out and though we don't know how many games will be shown by Sky on the opening weekend due to the new deal (or the split of Championship/L1/L2 games now) I think we might see some of the following being shown:

Charlton v QPR (London derby, QPR newly relegated)
    Leeds v Burnley (big team at home to newly relegated team)
    Possibly Hull v Huddersfield (newly relegated team plus it's sort of a bit local though none of our fans really consider it a local derby)
    Preston v Middlesbrough (newly promoted team at home to team that lost in the playoff final last season)

If they show any L1/L2 games they might go for Coventry v Wigan, Colchester v Blackpool, Exter v Yeovil or Leyton Orient v Barnet.

Think it will be 2, Friday Night and Saturday Lunchtime i reckon

Preston v Boro maybe for the friday night, as it isnt a derby,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Must admit, I think if the PL wasn't started on the same weekend as the FL that they'd show at least 1 Sunday game too, but that's kind of being knocked on the head as such.

Anyway, wonder where they'll show their extra games. there's 10 midweek rounds (for the Championship teams at least, not sure about L1/L2) so if they can show midweek games then that's 20 of the extra 35 or so accounted for. Apart from that, only other thing I can think of is either more Friday night games or a few Thursday games perhaps (or Monday's if there's no PL Monday fixture with no FL midweek round that same midweek).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldnt they use the international breaks for most of the L1/L2 fixtures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont Sky normally like to show a Relegated Team the first weekend
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing Day

Nottm Forest v Leeds Utd looks likely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing Day

Nottm Forest v Leeds Utd looks likely

Leeds and Derby are likely most weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to cover the last few posts in 1 reply:

I agree re Boxing Day and Forest v Leeds being picked even if both teams are in midtable obscurity

Yes international breaks will cover most of the L1/L2 fixtures as normal

Yes Sky like to show at least 1 relegated team on the opening weekend

Derby were only picked so much last season as they looked like certainties to get promoted, whereas Leeds were basically only shown however many times it was because it was Leeds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1 thing I've spotted which is noteworthy is that Easter weekend is an international break, so there's L1/L2 games on Easter Saturday and Easter Monday but nothing in the Championship at all that weekend, so expect to see maybe 4 or 5 games from L1/L2 that weekend.

Oh and although it's in August which maybe isn't as bad as if it was in December, but got to feel sorry for Carlisle fans, who have to travel all the way down to Plymouth on a Tuesday night. I know they say they try to minimise midweek travel where possible, but cripes!
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In non-live TV news; Channel 5's new highlights show will be Football League Tonight and will have a studio audience.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/channel-5s-football-league-tonight-to-broadcast-highlights-2496661.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh god, a studio audience? Sorry but what is with everyone and everything seemingly requiring a studio audience. Will the show last 90mins? The show needs to last at least 2hrs just so we're no worse off than when it was on the BBC as we'll lose time to ad breaks and to pointless nonsense like talking to the audience when in reality nobody cares what Brian from Brighton who supports Bury thinks about how they did in their game that day. It's a complete waste of time.

Just show the goals/action, a few interviews, maybe a few features with various clubs throughout the year and that's it, no farting about with a studio audience, emails, or whatever. Nobody cares for those aspects of a highlights show, they just want, well, you know.............HIGHLIGHTS!