Ben Elton returns - please god, say it's not true!

WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
Forum Member
The world's unfunniest 'comedian' and writer of shitcoms is to stage a comeback after 12 years off screen. Does anyone want to see him back?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_objectid=17638218%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=tv%2dreturn%2dfor%2dcomic%2dstar%2delton%2d-name_page.html

Comments

• Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did OK with Blackadder and Filthy Rich/Catflap, but his financial acumen conflicts with his stand up lines of the 80's.

A good face for radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackadder was great but he did co-write it.

We Will Rock You is a huge West End hit.

Im not a big fan of him really, ive seen some of his other work and its just rubbish.
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    He did OK with Blackadder and Filthy Rich/Catflap, but his financial acumen conflicts with his stand up lines of the 80's.

A good face for radio.

People rate him for Blackadder though, but I reckon the funniest lines were written by Richard Curtis.

Elton couldn't write his name on an envelope - witness that rubbish 'Blessed' with Ardal O'Hanlon and Mel Giedroyc that was on last year. It's not coming back AFIAK - get the message Ben?
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love most of his books... :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing him on ITV few months ago - I think it was the Princess Trust thingy - He seems to be outdated! His comedy is still in the 80s/90s! Same with Vic Reeves!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He and Richard Curtis should pen a new series of Blackadder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I saw him live a few years ago and I couldn't stop laughing.
    His sense of humour appeals to me. I think it's probably an age thing.
    Each to their own.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k3v_85_04 wrote:
    After seeing him on ITV few months ago - I think it was the Princess Trust thingy - He seems to be outdated! His comedy is still in the 80s/90s! Same with Vic Reeves!

Totally agree with that. Used to howl at Vic Reeves but he stopped being funny after Shooting Stars (I loved Big Night Out). Now I just think 'do you want a cup of tea, love?!' when I see him!

IMO Ben Elton was always as funny as a stubbed toe. Never ever found the appeal. His BBC1 show eons ago was so unfunny that I thought Eastenders was a laugh riot in comparison. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I own a live album of his, "Motormouth" that I found absolutely hilarious at the time but is cringingly dated and unfunny now.

His humour hasn't stood the test of time and he seems to write well in conjunction with someone else and not alone.

I saw him commenting on "The Young Ones" that he co-wrote and he said he didn't like a lot of the bits Lise Mayer wrote. Hm........
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Woowookid wrote:
    The world's unfunniest 'comedian' and writer of shitcoms is to stage a comeback after 12 years off screen. Does anyone want to see him back?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tm_objectid=17638218%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=tv%2dreturn%2dfor%2dcomic%2dstar%2delton%2d-name_page.html

I have always found him to be hilarious. I guess some people have a peculiar idea of what funny is.
    Forum Member
    I have always found him to be hilarious. I guess some people have a peculiar idea of what funny is.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    I've always found him about as funny as cancer whatever he does. :cool:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The report says it's based on his current (or at least very recent) live show, which, as anyone who's seen it will atest, is extremely funny, although no doubt the TV show will be a cleaned up version of it.

It's simple really. If you like Ben Elton, stand-up comedian, watch it. If you don't, don't. I love his stand-up, but he's the worst writer (of novels) in the world, so I just don't read them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ben Elton's books - Dead Famous, High Society and Past Mortem are all brilliant!

Ben Elton went to my college too!
  • lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If his recent sitcom is anything to go by, I'll be giving it a huge miss. Personally I find his 80s humour somewhat dated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    lots2do wrote:
    If his recent sitcom is anything to go by, I'll be giving it a huge miss. Personally I find his 80s humour somewhat dated.

That's the thing isn't it - all the 'alternative' comedians of the 80's have now become the establishment they were railing against 20 years ago!
  • WheeliechickWheeliechick Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The disappointment of Ben Elton is the way he sold out.

For years he was anti-establishment, and annoyed at the decisions made on our behalf and now he has changed his stance to suit his needs.

He was anti-royal, yet you see him at the Palace for the anti-poverty concerts (nothing wrong with that), but then he is sucking up to the royal family while he was there.

He hosted the Royal Variety Show and was sucking up to Prince Charles in a vomit inducing way.

I also remembering do very scathing routines about the likes of Queen and Rod Stewart only to collaborate with them when he thought the money was good enough.

From a documentary I saw the other week, he appears he nicked most of his material from Alexei Sayle in the 80s (the two dislike each other immensely) and when you look at his routines now, it even looks like he was actually taking the p!ss.

His routines also featured the much hated 'farty' that everyone should detest and the but of most of his 'comedy', but actually he has morphed into that character completely - Ben Elton is now the 'farty' he once derised.

His recent Sitcom work has been dreadful and totally unfunny, and I really don't think he has any credibility left. He comes acroos as completely false, pretending to be radical to be popular - he's a complete try-hard.

Give me Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson and Alexei Sayle anyday over him.

He doesn't stand the test of time, and younger comedians have moved things on past him.

He should get back to brown nosing the likes of Brian May and Rod Stewart! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti-establishment?

The man grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon. You just can't take it out of him.

Nout wrong wi' a bit o' the posh!
    Forum Member
    mouth wrote:
    Anti-establishment?

The man grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon. You just can't take it out of him.

Nout wrong wi' a bit o' the posh!

He was a product of his time though.
    Doesn't really matter where he grew up.

The early 80's were the time of Maggie, who most people hated, Elton was just one of several comics, including Alexei Sayle (working class Liverpool communist), whose style suited the mood of the times.

Difference is Sayle was (and still is) funny - Elton was just an unfunny bigmouthed ranter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Elton is a legend - enough said!!!!!
  • CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wrote 'My Hero' didn't he? Come the revolution.......... :D :mad:
    Forum Member
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    He wrote 'My Hero' didn't he? Come the revolution.......... :D :mad:

No that pile of tripe was written by Paul Mendelson and Paul Mayhew-Archer.
    He did write the equally dire Blessed though.
  • WheeliechickWheeliechick Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Woowookid wrote:
    No that pile of tripe was written by Paul Mendelson and Paul Mayhew-Archer.
    He did write the equally dire Blessed though.

Oh the hilarity of it all:

Babies mean you have leaky nipples and you are grumpy because you are so tired.

Oh my aching sides :rolleyes:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mouth wrote:
    I love Ben Elton's books - Dead Famous, High Society and Past Mortem are all brilliant!

Ben Elton went to my college too!

I liked his books too - didn't find them really funny, but I did think they were well written. Just read Gridlock - good book, but slightly cringeworthy in places
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The disappointment of Ben Elton is the way he sold out.

For years he was anti-establishment, and annoyed at the decisions made on our behalf and now he has changed his stance to suit his needs.

He was anti-royal, yet you see him at the Palace for the anti-poverty concerts (nothing wrong with that), but then he is sucking up to the royal family while he was there.

He hosted the Royal Variety Show and was sucking up to Prince Charles in a vomit inducing way.

I also remembering do very scathing routines about the likes of Queen and Rod Stewart only to collaborate with them when he thought the money was good enough.

From a documentary I saw the other week, he appears he nicked most of his material from Alexei Sayle in the 80s (the two dislike each other immensely) and when you look at his routines now, it even looks like he was actually taking the p!ss.

His routines also featured the much hated 'farty' that everyone should detest and the but of most of his 'comedy', but actually he has morphed into that character completely - Ben Elton is now the 'farty' he once derised.

His recent Sitcom work has been dreadful and totally unfunny, and I really don't think he has any credibility left. He comes acroos as completely false, pretending to be radical to be popular - he's a complete try-hard.

Give me Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson and Alexei Sayle anyday over him.

He doesn't stand the test of time, and younger comedians have moved things on past him.

He should get back to brown nosing the likes of Brian May and Rod Stewart! :mad:

Personally I have never been a great fan of his. But as for sucking up to Royalty , well I missed that , what I do remember is how cringingly embarrasingly rude he was during his stint on the Princes Trust concert held at the Tower of London and was shown on ITV. He was very unfunny, very rude about the Royal family, now its ok if you dont like them , but when you are meant to be there doing a bit in support of Prince Charles charity then you do not behave as he did, there were quite a few comments on his arrogance and rudeness on some threads when it was aired. Also his tatse in jokes for what was an early evening family show.

Just found one of the threads and will post a couple of the comments on him from that night
    cyfrin wrote:
    Great prog, would have liked to have seen more of the concert (Sunday @ 11.15am) but

BEN ELTON WAS DIRE, USELESS UNFUNNY & DISGRACE! :mad:
    centrino04 wrote:
    Ben Elton's books are good. Maybe he should stick at that for a while. I saw a few minutes - it was cringeworthy to say the least - the audience didnt know what to do when he started talking about bleeding fannys.

Totally inappropriate.
    Ben Elton talking about womens periods on a Prince's Trust show...`really bad idea that..once a month..stomach cramps..wanna knife eveyone in sight..and u bleed from ur fanny` Shocking....there wasn`t much laughter in the audience and a few women there were shaking there heads in disbelief.What the hell was he thinking...

I am sure there were some more threads on this concert with comments on him but cannoit find them. But he was definitely a disgrace that night , not just for his rude behaviour but his entire performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never thought of Ben Elton as ever being in the slightest bit funny - not even in the "olden" days. But as has been already said everyone to their own.