Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I assume you exist in the real world? You're not some forum bot generated from a futuristic box with flashing lights and a vaguely sexy female voice?

<snip>

Having failed to convince me of your view it is interesting that you have switched to a strategy of trying to imply that I am incapable of courtesy in any situation. Interesting, but no more convincing.

So in short, you're selfish. That's fine, you should have just said that rather than waffle on with all that guff trying to explain otherwise. Driving brings out the worst in people so it's quite understandable. I'm sure you're not selfish in other areas of your life so perhaps this is a one off.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    So in short, you're selfish. That's fine, you should have just said that rather than waffle on with all that guff trying to explain otherwise. Driving brings out the worst in people so it's quite understandable. I'm sure you're not selfish in other areas of your life so perhaps this is a one off.

:D I am, but no more so than someone who thinks I should not park in a particular spot because they might want to park in it themselves.

That's one of the things that makes me laugh about this particular thread topic, all sides are basically just selfish and desperately trying to find arguments to prove otherwise. Sometimes I think it's a masterful ploy from supermarkets to turn us on each other and distract us from them ripping us off and instead turning on them.

Just for you though I will make a special effort to find a little old lady to help later today (whether she bloody well wants help or not!!). So now we can both feel good about ourselves;-)
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D I am, but no more so than someone who thinks I should not park in a particular spot because they might want to park in it themselves.

That's one of the things that makes me laugh about this particular thread topic, all sides are basically just selfish and desperately trying to find arguments to prove otherwise. Sometimes I think it's a masterful ploy from supermarkets to turn us on each other and distract us from them ripping us off and instead turning on them.

Just for you though I will make a special effort to find a little old lady to help later today (whether she bloody well wants help or not!!). So now we can both feel good about ourselves;-)

Ok, I think I'm following you.
    I want to park in one of the spaces because they're wider so it makes getting my baby in and out easier. I'd park in the space wherever they are because of their size.
    You want to park in one of the spaces because they're closer to the entrance. If they were further away you'd park in one of the normal spaces.

We both want to use the spaces, but for different reasons.

So you're selfish AND lazy. Got it.
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Correct I don't. It didn't happen when we were younger. No supermarkets had child and parent spaces just disabled.

More people drive cars than years ago, and it is hard to put a young child in a car seat without opening thre door wide.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ok, I think I'm following you.
    I want to park in one of the spaces because they're wider so it makes getting my baby in and out easier. I'd park in the space wherever they are because of their size.
    You want to park in one of the spaces because they're closer to the entrance. If they were further away you'd park in one of the normal spaces.

We both want to use the spaces, but for different reasons.

So you're selfish AND lazy. Got it.

Again with the assumptions, you're assuming it's laziness, maybe I am just in a hurry.

You have hit on it though, we both covet the same spot for different reasons, with you it's space, with me it's proximity. We solved this up thread by saying the supermarkets should simply stop locating all of the P&C spots up front, that way we can both have the parking spot of our dreams.

Edit: Am off out now Not to the supermarket....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Hopper's mum;71863480]Perhaps if every step you took was agony or left you struggling for breath, you may want to park near to the entrance?

Disabled people who have difficulty in walking any distance - sometimes the reason isn't physically obvious - can apply for and be awarded a blue badge to enable them to park in places that others are not entitled, double yellow lines for example. Therefore it makes sense for supermarkets and the like to make spaces available for these badge holding customers that are close to their entrance, showing support for the scheme if nothing else.

'Little kids' will have to walk past lots of cars in situations other than a car park (the high street for example) and it is sensible to teach them road safety from a very early age.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a "who's right and who's wrong?" stuation, I just wondered why parents and their children NEED to park near to the entrance.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but if they are that disabled they would be better off shopping online and I would question the safety of them driving on a public highway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Others are discouraged from parking there and they are apparently nearest the shop. Isn't that an inconvenience?

Are you really that lazy to walk a couple of extra yards?
  • Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but if they are that disabled they would be better off shopping online and I would question the safety of them driving on a public highway.

I drive my mother who is usually housebound but does like to pop out every now and again. We do the grocery shopping online but it's nice for her to have a change of scenery sometimes.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should move all of the cars from lazy people to the back of the car park :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I, for one, am going to stop using car parks entirely, because to do so is patently discourteous. Someone might turn up ten minutes after I enter a shop/leisure centre/library/restaurant and wish they'd been able to get the space I've chosen. Damnably selfish of me to deny them a space. Folk, do your fellow man a solid - just don't park your cars.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I, for one, am going to stop using car parks entirely, because to do so is patently discourteous. Someone might turn up ten minutes after I enter a shop/leisure centre/library/restaurant and wish they'd been able to get the space I've chosen. Damnably selfish of me to deny them a space. Folk, do your fellow man a solid - just don't park your cars.

Not really the same thing though, is it? Regular parking spaces are provided for anyone to use. Just as Disabled spaces are intended for the disabled & P&C for those with young children.

Which part of that are you having trouble understanding?
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Not really the same thing though, is it? Regular parking spaces are provided for anyone to use. Just as Disabled spaces are intended for the disabled & P&C for those with young children.

Which part of that are you having trouble understanding?

I think whoo whoo was being sarcastic
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that courtesy is something I am more comfortable extending when it is my choice to do so, I am less inclined to give it when it is being demanded. Often in a fairly discourteous fashion.

Who is "demanding" it exactly? And how are they doing it in a discourteous fashion?:confused:

In every car park I've ever been in, the P&C spaces simply have a polite sign or symbol on or near them. So why would you find them offensive or discourteous?
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes indeed. Clearly better that 'they' stay at home at all times. How dare 'they' think they are entitled to drive and go shopping?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I agree and the majority of people with that attitude probably didn't give a toss about p&c parking, until they saw this thread, then once brought to their attention it's all,
    'Right, I'm not 'avin that!' attitude-until they have their own kids or are with grandkids themselves of course.
    When I have mentioned people with another agenda/axe to grind posting on here so vehemently about this, I mean that p&c is such a petty thing to be so vicious about, there has to be more to it. Yes, it will be denied, but it's always the same when women and kids are mentioned. An example-threads about families eating out.Same style of ranting about chavs, women drinking, uncontrollable kids, not keeping an eye on their darlings, in a really violent manner, real anger towards them, positively spitting venom.

If a suggestion that the childless or people with grown up kids, or just escaping from the kids, who are being babysat at home, perhaps find somewhere that is not created for families as a solution, all hell breaks loose. You get the 'Why should I? The baby should shut up, the mum should take it away.'
    I have 4 grownup kids, 2 grandchildren. When I have the grandkids, I go to places that suit families, when I am only with adults, I mostly go to places that don't have families so much and it is easy, a solution which suits me and the families-voila.
    As per parking, I'll park anywhere, apart from disabled parking, with or without small kids, because I am shopping and there's a car park, I do not think any further than that, because I have a life to be living and shopping to get.I don't sit there revving up, waiting to pounce on a p&c space.
    Perhaps the real spaces needed are for those who travel by broomstick.

It is not the parking, it is the attitude towards families and certain perceptions of their expectations,which are not real, but certain posters want to believe are real.

Again-parents are not demanding this facility, or it's location, so why are the parents being accused of expecting preferential treatment, when they repeatedly say they do not? Because that is not what is at the root of the rant, that's why.

You forgot young mums; we're all jobless, don't raise our children well, single and only pop them out for the 81.70 a month child benefit. We actually only have children for the parking spaces doncha know :D
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    You forgot young mums; we're all jobless, don't raise our children well, single and only pop them out for the 81.70 a month child benefit. We actually only have children for the parking spaces doncha know :D

You are quite right-I hope you have not taken my exclusion as personal, it was not my intention, I know you're only demanding preferential treatment. ;-)
    I might start a campaign 'Only parking spaces for young Mums anywhere in the UK.'
    'Give A Womb it's Own Space!' (very, very, very close to the entrance).:D

Feeling slightly melancholy-my kids are all too old for child benefit, I miss it for all that cheap free wine I apparently kept shopping for (according to some poster or other),and I feel so excluded when I have to park in an ordinary parking space nowadays. It's hard, but I am just about coping.cry:
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    keep the disabled in their homes and dont let them get out and for god sake dont let them drive even though there are automatic cars and adaptations for any number of disabilities

disabled people must not be seen or heard in some peoples world
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with Parent and Child spaces being near the entrance of supermarkets, I just wish that parking bays were wider, I have a problem with my back and have to open the car door wide to swing my legs out to get out. It's quite difficult in most supermarket car parks, add to that not being able to walk that far means I sometimes need a little more help, but I would never ask my husband to park in a disabled or parent and child bay, he usually stops as close to the main entrance as he can, then pick me up at the pick up point. I am thinking of trying to get a blue badge, but am not sure if I am bad enough to qualify for one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    You are quite right-I hope you have not taken my exclusion as personal, it was not my intention, I know you're only demanding preferential treatment. ;-)
    I might start a campaign 'Only parking spaces for young Mums anywhere in the UK.'
    'Give A Womb it's Own Space!' (very, very, very close to the entrance).:D

Feeling slightly melancholy-my kids are all too old for child benefit, I miss it for all that cheap free wine I apparently kept shopping for (according to some poster or other),and I feel so excluded when I have to park in an ordinary parking space nowadays. It's hard, but I am just about coping.cry:

I usually just walk to the supermarket to get my cheap wine and wotsits, but speaking as a mum I still like to taunt childless disbled couples by utilising MY p&c parking space by parking my pram there and scattering broken glass around it to deter the childless couples from sniffing at it.

Anyways it's getting late and my kid has the sniffles (accidently left him pegged to the washing line last night whilst drying him off after a bath) so I best get to bed.

Looking forward to the BreastVBottle debate thread. Tatty bye
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and parking in a P&C space out of spite when you don't have kids is akin to throwing a wobbly when kids get given an in-flight activity pack and a special meal on a plane. Although, the idea of a self righteous 30 year old childless tit sat eating out of an American Airlines lunch box, wearing a paper pilots hat with a smug look on their face has made me giggle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    It drives me made and is very insulting.

The Disabled had no choice in the matter and so should rightly get the help they need.
    Yet the open yer legs and drop em brigade freely chose to get into that condition and they get helped with benefits and special parking places over and above people who managed to keep their legs shut.

That's the way this world works: Get yourself up the duff and you have it made. Don't do that and you get no special treatment at all.

Why do you think every chav in existence drops out as many as they can as soon as they can? KERRRRRRCHING! (And you are even given a special parking place whilst you are spending your extra benefits.

Something is seriously wrong when dropping out babies is the way to win.

Menopausal?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    I don't really get why people get uptight about p&c spaces. Clearly, the supermarkets do it because it keeps one of their biggest demographics happy, so that's fair enough.

Parents like them because it makes it easier for get car seats out of their cars and they tend to be (but not always) close to the front door. That's fair enough.

I don't park in them because I don't need to. You have to be a bit of a dick to do so, really. You'll just potentially making someone else's life a little bit more difficult for no good reason.

So much hassle!

I prefer to get my shopping delivered to my door.

Slightly off kilter, but when taking my child to hospital for a MRI on the train with reserved tickets, we were subjected to a rant from a fellow passenger to get her ever-so-busy-arse off our seats!

We're a selfish lot !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogface wrote: »
    So much hassle!

I prefer to get my shopping delivered to my door.

Slightly off kilter, but when taking my child to hospital for a MRI on the train with reserved tickets, we were subjected to a rant from a fellow passenger to get her ever-so-busy-arse off our seats!

We're a selfish lot !

Some people get a kick out of acting like they have sand in their fanny I guess
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »
    Oh and parking in a P&C space out of spite when you don't have kids is akin to throwing a wobbly when kids get given an in-flight activity pack and a special meal on a plane. Although, the idea of a self righteous 30 year old childless tit sat eating out of an American Airlines lunch box, wearing a paper pilots hat with a smug look on their face has made me giggle

Exactly, That's why the childish insult/unable to debate comments make me laugh. I mean God forbid there is tolerance to families in the UK.Where does all this anger about such a small thing in life come from? I honestly believe that it is not the p&c parking itself, just a massive epidemic of Narcissism-me, me,me. There are comments about people with a disability never going out, try going out with small kids, people definitely are rude to them if they so much as murmur and would prefer them to be seen and not heard.On the whole, when out and about anywhere with families, it is unusual to see 'uncontrolled' kids let to run loose, if there are, they stick out, which means it can't be the norm. I am regularly with sister and my nephew who has autism, he makes noises, has meltdowns, all very much part of his condition, but the rudeness of people is astounding, people are aggressive, intolerant and don't think past themselves. They feel free to judge and express a very wrong opinion, from their own assumptions that my sister and her husband are crap parents, when actually they are truly dedicated.It stresses them out massively though, everytime they go out, shops is a big part of that,this attitude in Uk is shite.
    I live at the coast, in the Summer it's teeming with families, it's actually lovely to see families loving the seaside, the shops ,cafes etc, which will mean them using the supermarkets, p&C spaces and not even permanent residents-OMG. I better get down there and nick a spot, it's nearly Easter, they'll be here soon.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It drives me made and is very insulting.

The Disabled had no choice in the matter and so should rightly get the help they need.
    Yet the open yer legs and drop em brigade freely chose to get into that condition and they get helped with benefits and special parking places over and above people who managed to keep their legs shut.

That's the way this world works: Get yourself up the duff and you have it made. Don't do that and you get no special treatment at all.

Why do you think every chav in existence drops out as many as they can as soon as they can? KERRRRRRCHING! (And you are even given a special parking place whilst you are spending your extra benefits.

Something is seriously wrong when dropping out babies is the way to win.

So much anger over something so insignificant.