Household items you use for a different purpose

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I have a wireless mouse and to make it easier to manage I have the mouse mat on an old annual.

The annual is Victor Book for Boys.
I can't see the date as it's taped up as it was falling apart.

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an old radiogram that was my parents........probably from the 1960s. When it stopped working I took all the insides out and now use it as a bedding box

Old cabinet that was attached to a TV as a stand.........I chucked the TV away and kept the cabinet, now use it for books and CDs

old drawers from my kitchen cabinets which were redundant when I had a new kitchen fitted........I saved some of the drawers and put my work stuff in them, paper filing, etc
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I use the corner plastic bit that came with the bin as a veg strainer.

And I have used a spatula for other things in the past.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We use a backscratcher someone brought us back from Mallorca to reach over and switch the sky off at the mains when the box freezes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I use a milk bottle and some chopped up liver as a makeshift vagina.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kebab sticks are great for slug hunting :p
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Recently donated almost all my physical books and re-purposed my bookcase as a shoe rack.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used chopsticks to try and unblock a blocked-up sink drain. And it worked.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    old drawers from my kitchen cabinets which were redundant when I had a new kitchen fitted........I saved some of the drawers and put my work stuff in them, paper filing, etc
    I do similar with old drawers. The bottom ones that are double height. Good enough for storing things in without buying a new box/container.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if this counts but I once used Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of a wart on my hand. I'd previously paid about a tenner for some of that stuff that's supposed to freeze warts but it was useless and didn't work so I did some googling and kept reading about ACV. I decided to try it and bought a bottle for £1.59, applied it once overnight and the wart was gone within about 3 days. Apparently you can use it for other things too, it's bloody amazing stuff!
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Recently donated almost all my physical books and re-purposed my bookcase as a shoe rack.
    Brilliant! I might copy that idea (if I can bear to lose the books :( )
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I have a wireless mouse and to make it easier to manage I have the mouse mat on an old annual.

The annual is Victor Book for Boys.
    I can't see the date as it's taped up as it was falling apart.
    It's the 1984 annual i'm using as my mouse mat surface.
    http://www.victorbook.info/bcovers2.htm
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Don't know if this counts but I once used Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of a wart on my hand. I'd previously paid about a tenner for some of that stuff that's supposed to freeze warts but it was useless and didn't work so I did some googling and kept reading about ACV. I decided to try it and bought a bottle for £1.59, applied it once overnight and the wart was gone within about 3 days. Apparently you can use it for other things too, it's bloody amazing stuff!
    Apparently it's a super liquid. Has cures for loads of things.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I use clothes pegs to seal the inside bags of cereal packets once they've been opened
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a whisk to mash potato, and, as I'm sure many other people do, plastic bags as rubbish bags.

My cat uses the sky box as her bed.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thread.

I put my brushes and sponges for washing up dishes in a bright yellow ceramic plant pot.
    Forum Member
    Using old t-shirts as cloths
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Using old t-shirts as cloths

They're great for that; excellent for cleaning windows because old t-shirts are so worn down they are lint-free.
    Forum Member
    I attached an old curtain rail high on the wall above the cooking range in the fireplace; shirts air beautifully there in the rising heat.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofas are a great substitute for drawers and wardrobes. When ironed clothes get put directly there and left for days.
    An ironing board makes a great feature in a lounge.
    (At least that's how it seems to work in our house).
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A scouring pad to scrub my elbows.

A plastic tupperware cereal holder as a small waste bin

Large Fruit Pastel tubes to collect £2 coins in (each tube holds £160 in £2 coins)
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted.duplicate post. Sorry
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sons bedroom is the new kitchen ;-/ it's where all the bloody dishes end up. Our table holds a mountain of clothes. The ironing basket is the new shoe box. The ironing board is great to pop your phone on charge as all the wires are there near socket. My ironing board been up so long, I might pop a plant on it. Gotta love teenagers :)
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a cat litter tray as a tray to store all my paperwork in. A4 sheets fit nicely. A cut down squash bottle makes a great makeshift funnel, I have one in the car for putting oil into the engine.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hair grips as paper clips.

I use an old washing liquitab box, lined with a small plastic bag as a worktop bin when I'm cooking - stuff like carrot ends, onion skins etc go in it, rather than having to faff with the big bin each time.

Wine bottle as a makeshift foam roller.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my mother used to bake, she'd use a milk bottle as a rolling pin.