BBC's Genome project goes live

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1997-08-31

So, how much of the above did actually air as scheduled?

I remember something about the Michael Palin series due to start that night, wasn't it moved to BBC2 or shown on Monday instead?
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I remember something about the Michael Palin series due to start that night, wasn't it moved to BBC2 or shown on Monday instead?
    It was moved to BBC2, and I think it was repeated the following Sunday at 8pm on BBC1.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point in this? why are people raving about it? :confused:
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    What is the point in this? why are people raving about it? :confused:

how do you mean?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you mean?

I don't see the sense in it.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    It's a very half-hearted effort. The OCR is diabolical, and, for some reason, many of the parts being played as just down as "unknown" even though the text appears in the RT.

They should put the raw scans up next to the entries - the eye/brain system is far better at interpreting text than OCR and these would be a fallback for the frequent lapses in OCR.

Next.... postponed programmes (either in time or date) were religiously recorded on a set of documents called PasBs. These are (or were) all on microfilm at the Written Archives Centre (in the gate lodge at BBC Caversham). There is no need to ask the public (FFS!) for these details, as they exist at the BBC. This is just sheer laziness.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I don't see the sense in it.

Troll
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    It's a very half-hearted effort. The OCR is diabolical, and, for some reason, many of the parts being played as just down as "unknown" even though the text appears in the RT.

They should put the raw scans up next to the entries - the eye/brain system is far better at interpreting text than OCR and these would be a fallback for the frequent lapses in OCR.

Next.... postponed programmes (either in time or date) were religiously recorded on a set of documents called PasBs. These are (or were) all on microfilm at the Written Archives Centre (in the gate lodge at BBC Caversham). There is no need to ask the public (FFS!) for these details, as they exist at the BBC. This is just sheer laziness.

I have found lots of interesting matches on it, including my second cousin once removed in a radio broadcast in 1925 (if only there was a recording!). Obviously there could be others being missed by the transcription quality might improve later. The image would be nice to check things but would not be searchable.

Perhaps they will add postponed broadcasts later, would you prefer the main database being delayed so they could be included?

AS I wrote in an earlier post, the BBC can't win as whatever they do there will be someone moaning.

If they put the whole back catalogue of radio and TV programmes available free on iPlayer, there would still be someone wanting more.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    dont forget if you see any mistakes you are able to correct them by pressing the edit button - have already done this when the 400m Mens relay became the Hen's relay

I didn't realise you could do that. I noticed one while randomly searching, is that Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4 had become Wogan's Hour!
    ftv wrote: »
    There was indeed a special Songs of Praise and they intercut with shots of the aircraft landing at RAF Northolt.

The original recorded edition was scrapped (can't recall if was ever shown) and this very quickly arranged live edition was broadcast with shots as you mention.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    The search doesnt work for me, either the normal search (when I put in my date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY format) or in the advanced search when I filter it to show the month.

Any ideas?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Ignore me, think I have worked it out now.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »

Its better than no content which presumably is the alternative. I agree the scans should be provided although there may be copyright issues around photographs and advertising which the BBC may not own.

As for laziness, that's unfair given I presume you have no way of assessing how the BBC has used the limited resources for this project. They can't just throw staff and time a it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troll

Troll?! because I'm asking a question :confused:
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was moved to BBC2, and I think it was repeated the following Sunday at 8pm on BBC1.

just was about to say the revised listings for both 31/8/97 and 9/11 are on the tvroomplus site
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should things like raw scans and lineup changes be noted on Genome through editing as long as the original is kept alongside it?
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    The image would be nice to check things but would not be searchable.

Perhaps they will add postponed broadcasts later, would you prefer the main database being delayed so they could be included?

What they should have done, IMHO, is have the OCRd stuff as merely the keyword database. For presentation to the punter, the raw scan should be shown with the keyword highlighted. That's the way most (all?) of the online newspapers do it. That way, you get both the fully readable scan and the ability to search it (and the limitations of the OCR don't stop the details actually being presented). And, though it's a lesser reason, some of the nostalgia factor is certainly lost in not being able to see the actual RT scans.

I wasn't suggesting the database be delayed for the postponements - presenting it initially on a "intended broadcast times/dates" is certainly acceptable - but that they should subsequently be integrated from the internal source I mentioned, and not by asking the public.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Intriguing to see how some presenters are perceived has changed over the years. Take this example from Radio One on 18 April 1970:

'At 21 Radio l's youngest dj - ex-school teacher -former commercial dj - creator of Radio 1 Popover - with his Saturday Sounds featuring the best and brightest from the record scene and the pick of the artists from both sides of the Atlantic'.

Who is this new discovery? Step forward Noel Edmonds!
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why weren't the listings for the non BBC channels that were included in the Radio Times from the early 90's added to the site?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those calling BBC 'lazy': http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/Genome-behind-the-scenes
    The web site is hosted on Linux servers. We have database servers running MySQL and Sphinx Search and application servers which run Apache and a web application written in Perl using Dancer and Template Toolkit. In front of the application servers a layer of Varnish application cache servers helps to handle the load.

Along the way we've used a lot of other Open Source software to index, catalogue and transform data, scale images and automate development processes. As is often the case with projects underaken at the BBC we couldn't have done it without the work of countless Open Source developers and, as ever, we are extremely grateful to them for making our work possible.

Quite frankly, that is a huge project, and to call the BBC 'lazy' is an insult to those that have worked on the project.
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Why weren't the listings for the non BBC channels that were included in the Radio Times from the early 90's added to the site?

"Where are the non-BBC listings?
    From 1991, Radio Times published listings for other TV and radio channels, including ITV and Channel 4. The BBC does not have the rights to reproduce these listings and so only listings for BBC channels and stations are available."

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/faqs
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    Well who can beat finding a relatives listed in 1926 on 2LO and in 1933 in a programme broadcast by the 'Baird Process' ?

Didn't Bob Monkhouse keep a detailed record of television programmes noting actual time of broadcast, who appeared and who didn't?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Well who can beat finding a relatives listed in 1926 on 2LO and in 1933 in a programme broadcast by the 'Baird Process' ?

Didn't Bob Monkhouse keep a detailed record of television programmes noting actual time of broadcast, who appeared and who didn't?

He did, the Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse was repeated on BBC4 last week. It showed copies of the Radio Times and he had scribbled actual start times ( even if a minute out ) next to the published time. And he did also write a cast list too. Although he didn't keep a record of who didn't appear because that would take up too much time and room :p
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

I thought I had posted that a relative is listed on 5NG 3rd January 1925 it is in the issue for 26th December 1924.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found lots of interesting matches on it, including my second cousin once removed in a radio broadcast in 1925 (if only there was a recording!). Obviously there could be others being missed by the transcription quality might improve later. The image would be nice to check things but would not be searchable.

AS I wrote in an earlier post, the BBC can't win as whatever they do there will be someone moaning.

If they put the whole back catalogue of radio and TV programmes available free on iPlayer, there would still be someone wanting more.

Jeez, this isn't about the BBC winning or losing. This is a public website, where people can offer opinions and comments.

This BBC project is an excellent resource, but there are some mistakes throughout it and some people are commenting on these mistakes and offering their thoughts on how they consider it may have been better.

And you appear with your 'the BBC can't win' nonsense.

Some people, on here, have an almost Pavlovian response to any considered slight on the BBC. As you have clearly demonstrated.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    I thought I had posted that a relative is listed on 5NG 3rd January 1925 it is in the issue for 26th December 1924.

My two TV & Radio trumps one radio. :)