Options

Why the obsession of 'making the song your own'?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched this weekend with increasing amusement as act after act churned out their own 'unique' takes on covers, some of which were abysmal. Fame and jealous guy in particular for me. I found the whole process somewhat tedious to the point that I found it difficult to watch. I don't have a problem of reinterpreting classic songs but it's getting to the stage where everyone is kicking out a song that bares little resemblance to the original.

Do the general viewing public actually want to see this? My mother in law is a huge fan of the show but for the first time ever she turned off midway through on the weekend because of the 'making the song your own' obsession

Comments

• Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's due to the constant criticism of it being a 'kareoke' show.

So they're trying to make it more 'credible'
  • Options
    Kelli100Kelli100 Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I remember when an act doing a different take on a song was an occasional thing and it felt novel and original. Now it seems like every song has to have 'your own spin' on it. If they don't want songs to feel 'karaoke', then they should allow more acts to perform their own material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelli100 wrote: »
    I remember when an act doing a different take on a song was an occasional thing and it felt novel and original. Now it seems like every song has to have 'your own spin' on it. If they don't want songs to feel 'karaoke', then they should allow more acts to perform their own material.

Or hear one of the thousands of songs the mentors don't allow
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this weekend with increasing amusement as act after act churned out their own 'unique' takes on covers, some of which were abysmal. Fame and jealous guy in particular for me. I found the whole process somewhat tedious to the point that I found it difficult to watch. I don't have a problem of reinterpreting classic songs but it's getting to the stage where everyone is kicking out a song that bares little resemblance to the original.

Do the general viewing public actually want to see this? My mother in law is a huge fan of the show but for the first time ever she turned off midway through on the weekend because of the 'making the song your own' obsession

All of these re-worked songs have nothing to do with a contestant making a song their own - the new version is invariably someone else's work and was introduced to the contestant by their mentor, who in turn was instructed by someone above them with a less pretty face.

There are no true artists on XF, just singers. I would be more impressed if some of them could do a decent version of a particular song and just add their own personal flavour, rather than changing the tempo and production.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The constant rearranging of songs really sucks, and frankly ruins perfectly good songs in an effort to make the act seem "edgy", "unique", "fresh".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    if its good enough for Stevi Ritchie to do exact covers, then it's good enough for the rest of that lot, at least we will get something that resembles a song at the end of it.

there is no point of 'theme nights' , if all you are doing is taking a song and slowing it down so much that it becomes unrecognizable.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When singers cover songs they are suppose to change it from the original version to some degree, otherwise you may as well just listen to the original versions of these songs.
  • Options
    indenileindenile Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When singers cover songs they are suppose to change it from the original version to some degree, otherwise you may as well just listen to the original versions of these songs.

True. But are they supposed to producing covers or are they competing in a singing competition?

I agree with everything that has been posted in the thread so far. I was really looking forward to the live shows this year but this "making it your own" business plus the tedious VTs made me give up.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well most of the time they didn't actually end up 'making the song your own'. It's just a copy of an acoustic or scaled back version of something done by a YouTube artist.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way 'making it your own' works is if you have a unique voice, like Rhydian. He sang 'Someone To Love' to the original Queen arrangement but it was still different because of his voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it's to discover if there is a distinctive artiste there somewhere. It's not a question of re-arrangement, although that can work but it has to be good, it's a question of style. A good example is the way Dean Ray went about it in Aus X factor. If you listen to the collection of covers you can hear the artiste Dean Ray. The tracks weren't changed radically but we're performed confidently by someone who knew what he was doing. The proof of success is that they all still feature in Aus itunes chart with 11 in the top 100. Therefore punters have bought these tracks because they like his style. If it were the songs they loved they could, and maybe have, bought the originals. The trick is to change it enough to suit your style but keep the integrity of the song. If a classic is changed too much most people have difficulty warming to it, and even if they do over time that's not going to help an X factor contestant!
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It made me laugh when that girl (can't remember her name) sang Flashdance What a Feeling and sang it really slow - the line "Now I'm dancing for my life" didn't quite work as she stood there like a statue.

If you're going to rearrange a song, you should take a close look at the lyrics
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought the idea was to judge how good they could sing ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Making a song your own' in X-factor speak just means slowing it down .
    When was the last time you heard a song being sped up............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good point. "Smile" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" spring to mind as possibilities.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'tis true. Most of the time when the judges go on about "making the song your own", what has actually happened is:

1) They have ripped off another version.

2) Slowed it down.

3) Mullered the melody.

4) Screamed or chucked a load of unnecessary runs in.
  • Options
    ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A singer must ALWAYS put his/her own stamp on any song they sing. Or it ends up being karaoke. If one attempts to sing a song exactly like the original singer, this is a recipe for a very, very, "false" performance. Ever hear when the judges say "I believe every word you sang" ??? Well this usually comes after good, genuine, performances in which the singer has clearly put their own stamp on the song.They simply should not be attempting to sing in the same style as the original versions, that would be karaoke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor Guessing Game happens when it takes you more than 10 seconds to recognise the familiar song they've mullered :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A singer must ALWAYS put his/her own stamp on any song they sing. Or it ends up being karaoke. If one attempts to sing a song exactly like the original singer, this is a recipe for a very, very, "false" performance. Ever hear when the judges say "I believe every word you sang" ??? Well this usually comes after good, genuine, performances in which the singer has clearly put their own stamp on the song.They simply should not be attempting to sing in the same style as the original versions, that would be karaoke.

Alternatively, the aim could be sing the original songs in their own style, rather than entirely rearranging the song itself. Some of these "arrangements" would not even work with the original singers' vocals. That way the focus would be on the artist and their style. I love it when I hear a brand new song for the very first time but I know exactly who is singing it.

This however is just my suggestion, since as far as I know no-one has died and made me queen.
  • Options
    ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indenile wrote: »
    Alternatively, the aim could be sing the original songs in their own style, rather than entirely rearranging the song itself. Some of these "arrangements" would not even work with the original singers' vocals. That way the focus would be on the artist and their style. I love it when I hear a brand new song for the very first time but I know exactly who is singing it.

This however is just my suggestion, since as far as I know no-one has died and made me queen.
    I see what you mean. I am sure they don't sing the songs with the exact same arrangement as I a think they are afraid of the show looking like a karaoke competition. Though, I can see how this would annoy some people as some people are true fans of the original songs which have been sung, I myself included. One thing I am always whispering in my head if a contestant gets up to sing one of my fave songs is "Please don't murder it" lol I must admit when they sing it under a different arrangement it does two things: Annoys me / softens the blow when they finally do massacre it.

I genuinely think a lot of these songs are 99% of the time sung far better by the original artists, I think changing the arrangements possibly makes it easier on the contestants to sound better, rather than being compared to the original singers.

I remember years ago Michelle Mcmanus used to sing Celine, trying to sing/ sound exactly like Celine and brutallized every song she sang, it made her look remarkably average in comparison. Simon still threw his "hype" at us and sadly people bought into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see what you mean. I am sure they don't sing the songs with the exact same arrangement as I a think they are afraid of the show looking like a karaoke competition. Though, I can see how this would annoy some people as some people are true fans of the original songs which have been sung, I myself included. One thing I am always whispering in my head if a contestant gets up to sing one of my fave songs is "Please don't murder it" lol I must admit when they sing it under a different arrangement it does two things: Annoys me / softens the blow when they finally do massacre it.

I genuinely think a lot of these songs are 99% of the time sung far better by the original artists, I think changing the arrangements possibly makes it easier on the contestants to sound better, rather than being compared to the original singers.

I remember years ago Michelle Mcmanus used to sing Celine, trying to sing/ sound exactly like Celine and brutallized every song she sang, it made her look remarkably average in comparison. Simon still threw his "hype" at us and sadly people bought into it.

Some people can sing, some can imitate, but a singer who has my idea of the so-called X Factor can sing a song, as it is, and their tone/timbre/vocal acoustics will be sufficient to make a difference. If they're very, very good, some of us (including me) will find ourselves wiping away tears for some weird reason!

Producing a really good cover with a different arrangement of an already great song is very difficult and requires some serious talent. Trying pull this off for so many acts, week after week, is simply an impossible task doomed to failure. Off the top of my head, two examples where this was done very well in my opinion are Will Young's "Light my fire" and Amy Winehouse's/Mark Ronson's version of Valerie.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a karaoke show though. It's fine to be distinctive but at times it's impossible to recognise the song. I am sorry to have to disagree with you but the essence of a song is in you being able to recognise it. In addition to that copying the way someone else changed a song\made there own is still karaoke. Let's not fool ourselves this is an entertainment program that claims to be about music.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indenile wrote: »
    True. But are they supposed to producing covers or are they competing in a singing competition?

I agree with everything that has been posted in the thread so far. I was really looking forward to the live shows this year but this "making it your own" business plus the tedious VTs made me give up.

Well of course they're suppose to be covering the song, they're certainly not suppose to copy the song to a tea like Stevi, Lola, and Stereo Kicks have been trying to do so far.

And yes while it's a singing competition it's also suppose to be about who can sell records, people doing karaoke versions of cheesy 80's classics is not what people would buy in this day and age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in my book. Producing a cover is a serious business. They are just singing, and as explained earlier it's either the original version or someone else's lesser known (normally uncredited) cover, as other posters have noted.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that they're trying to add some originality to the performances (probably to up the iTunes purchases) but it's quite irritating. It would be half decent if they did anything interesting with the songs, but they just take a pop song and slow it down/give one of the boys a guitar that I'm pretty sure they're not even playing. It's really naff. If they want originality they should put acts through that can write original songs. Because personally I don't want to watch an amateur warble through a slowed down version of the heart radio playlist.