Options

Playusa

UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
Forum Member
I can't seem to find any information on delivery to the UK except they only deliver DVDs and not CDs to the UK.

Do playUSA deliver free to England?

Anyone used the site? I've never used the American version and if it's free delivery I would like to order some blu-rays off it.

Comments

• Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used them many times. Yes, it's free. However, if your order totals more than £18, you may be subject to custom charges.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember getting a CSI boxset once from it - and the custome charge was ridiculous!! so watch out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I use movietyme.com, though I haven't ordered off them for a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Play USA is not a bad site, and there are a lot of dvds much cheaper than they'd ever be in the UK. However if they hit you with the customs charges, it may not be that much cheaper after all!
  • Options
    iamcaseyjonesiamcaseyjones Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    You are a bit late to Playusa as they are closing/ winding down.
    They've not listed any preorder releases for several weeks and it's been reported they are winding down due to the drop in the market.
    It's not surprising.
    11 years ago when I started buying from Play in the days before they sold R2 dvd's , the lower prices , earlier release dates and uncensored films meant that virtually all my buying was of US product .

Since then those reasons for buying from the US have been greatly diminished .
    Play have never been good at discounting old US releases so its easy to pick those up very cheaply from many other places .
    The only 2 reasons to go for US product now are for titles that simply don't come out here or if there is a superior version .
    Mainstream Hollywood product is rarely worth buying unless you want to pay quite a bit extra to get a title a couple of weeks early .

But yes- Playusa do ship to the UK except for music dvd's.
    Beware of ordering anything over £17.99 as it is liable to a possible customs charge (you will be warned of this before completing the purchase).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm careful now after getting a customs charge last year when I ordered off Amazon.com, forgot actually and ordered a dvd and blu ray and had to pay about £12 to get them... so me thinking I got a bargin went out of the window...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    About six months ago I ordered the recent Star Trek and the Ultimate edition of Watchmen on Bluray from Amazon.com and didn't pay any customs charges whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah some get through, some don't. I've ordered in the past big tv box sets and never paid anything.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It is not PlayUSA charging it is customs and it depends on the value of the goods. Although strictly speaking duty should be paid on any goods imported into the UK, customs will often waive the fee for lower value. So a box-set might attract a fee, but a single film may not.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Playusa is shutting down, I won't be surprised. Many people are now downloading bluray rips from the usual outlets weeks before the legit US retail release, and both Play and Playusa have been very expensive for quite a few years now.

Many years ago with the advent of region free DVD players, I used Playusa quite a bit, and they had good prices. Not any more.

£18 for The Karate Kid on Blu-ray from Playusa? No thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is not PlayUSA charging it is customs

Yes I know.
  • Options
    alantraceyalantracey Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    If Playusa is shutting down, I won't be surprised. Many people are now downloading bluray rips from the usual outlets weeks before the legit US retail release, and both Play and Playusa have been very expensive for quite a few years now.

Many years ago with the advent of region free DVD players, I used Playusa quite a bit, and they had good prices. Not any more.

£18 for The Karate Kid on Blu-ray from Playusa? No thanks.

Playusa are/were quite good with prices but over the last couple of years with the poor exchange rate the prices for imported discs has gone through the roof compared to what they once were.
    You would have been lucky to find a new release US disc cheaper than from Playusa but now it's usually cheaper to buy the UK release instead and with almost simultaneous releases there is little point in buying from the US for most titles.
    Worth noting that Playusa actually sell Canadian discs anyway so sometimes you will receive a disc where the cover has dual languages on it.

Play.com are not as competitive as they once were but for new releases their prices are usually on par with Amazon , but catalogue titles have become a joke and if they persist Play.com themselves might end up down the tubes too.