Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I don't want to keep harping on about this but some of you seem to want to know the fine ends of a fart about individual presenters private lives as well as professional ones.

I note that you don't come on here moaning about Peter Allen's travel arrangements. I suspect it's because you all rate him as a presenter. Yes he may stay in Salford on certain days of the week but to the best of my knowledge he has not moved his family there.. You also moan about certain presenters when they are there and also when they are not there

Re Mister Chiles, you may be right in that he could have flown direct to Manchester from Estonia overnight(on a flight paid for by the BBC surely not?). On the other hand as ITV would have paid his fare he could equally have stayed with them in an hotel overnight and returned on Monday Morning. I don't know if that supposition is right either but unless you have all researched flight times and destinations from Estonia to the UK I think it frankly pointless to make childish sarcastic remarks about the man.

I wasn't aware of Peter Allen's arrangements at all but he should move there if he intends working for BBC radio ....the difference between him and his predecessor is that he hasn't berated his boss on the radio in an interview broadcast for not moving and then doing exactly the same thing...it's still wrong but he has slipped under radar for this.....

As to Chile's.......well they must know his itv schedule seeing as 5 is obsessed with football so knew when he would be off.....so here's a novel idea......

get a presenter who isn't tied into broadcasting on other media so much and so prominently so they can give it a good start at least....

you know..... someone employed by the BBC on a contract to present 5 days a week with the statutory holiday.....
    Just like most of the working population who go to work 5 days a week too.....

Is that so radical? It's almost not direct criticism of the presenters and their lives but the weak and ineffectual management who let them do it in the first place and think we need a *ahem* name to draw listeners.... :blush:

The same flawed logic inflicts the likes of Nolan and his ilk on us..... some minor fame on other media means they grab them without thinking possibly believing they will be the next big thing... :blush:
    (but I don't know anyone who actually tunes in because THAT particular broadcaster is on- it's more just on because of time of day)

So they fail to think through the logistics, practicalities and expense involved....but it's not their cash so they don't care..... :(
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Do you want them to run a poll before every story just to make sure it meets listener requirements?

No, but they should run some of their "clever" ideas through a sanity filter before running with them. As the earlier post said, just because they are interested in something, it does not make it good radio for the majority of listeners. The topic has been well and fully covered - we don't need another dose so soon just because it is a mate of theirs.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    It seems we may have been premature in praising the Peter Allen show, this morning's show is going to be about problem gamblers and their stories. Misery again probably, will be interesting to see how he handles it though.

Derbyshire had a tough childhood up north with outside bogs et al .Misery is in her blood .Allen is a far more positive chirpier character .I can't imagine him reverting to a negative whiner .
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »

The same flawed logic inflicts the likes of Nolan and his ilk on us..... some minor fame on other media means they grab them without thinking possibly believing they will be the next big thing...:(

Noley already is the next big thing .
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Derbyshire had a tough childhood up north with outside bogs et al .Misery is in her blood .Allen is a far more positive chirpier character .I can't imagine him reverting to a negative whiner .

did you see what a "grim up north" style upbringing she had?
    it was awful....she claims he was abusive however her father denies this -

but about her deprivation and poverty ,,,well dance and elocution lessons and a large tudor house (disregarding the emotional relations which is he said/she said) but can hardly be seen as tough childhood up north in the stereotypical sense..... :p
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fighting Talk presenters truly dreadful.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Fighting Talk presenters truly dreadful.

As much as it pains me to say it, they really miss Murray.
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fighting Talk has lost so much this year. So watered down.

Not just presenters but also the guests. May all be good in other fields but do not suit FT.

Martin Kelner kept referring to the youngsters today. Almost as a statement, it's not what it used to be.

Alex Brooker was great but the other two...

Rare sightings of the old guard these days.

Still at least the overly confident in herself Katharine Merry wasn't on today.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Nolan show is being padded out more than a Michelin Man . 25 minutes so far with 2 guests I've never heard of having a tedious row over the Government NHS policy.
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    As much as it pains me to say it, they really miss Murray.

And Jonny Vaughan. Christian O'connell was netter than the two Muppets they have now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Fighting Talk was my favourite programme for years. I missed Vaughan & O'Connell at first but got used to others - then O'Connell was back and it gained its old spark. I quite enjoyed the other presenters too.

NOW - haven't even bothered to start listening and R2 has gained a listener after Danny - who can still dance the dance - but ruddy Linsey getting on my bluddy nerves.

Feel better now. :cool:
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Fighting Talk was my favourite programme for years. I missed Vaughan & O'Connell at first but got used to others - then O'Connell was back and it gained its old spark. I quite enjoyed the other presenters too.

NOW - haven't even bothered to start listening and R2 has gained a listener after Danny - who can still dance the dance - but ruddy Linsey getting on my bluddy nerves.

Feel better now. :cool:

Vaughan is on Talksport after Danny Baker finishes. He really is at his surreal best again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Nolan show is being padded out more than a Michelin Man . 25 minutes so far with 2 guests I've never heard of having a tedious row over the Government NHS policy.

And then we get Heston Blumenthal.........
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Friggin Adrian Chiles !!!

That station has had it now

Right down the plug-hole
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way was it a surprise to hear Adrian Chiles in his allotted spot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an utter misery fest this morning has been. All shade and no light.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're back to Victoria's agenda :( I presume it's the editor's doing !
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I think I like the new schedule...Peter and Adrian are ok, like Sarah...not certain it needs two of them and Dan seems a bit lightweight. Livesey is better on his own, but he is still great to listen to, Anna Foster doesn't seem to have enough distinction to separate her from other broadcasters...she could be any one of a dozen people...but she does a good job...there are more characterful broadcasters around.

I have to say I warmed to the all woman breakfast -programme this morning...though I didn't feel they warmed as much to each other...perhaps it is the first day and it will get more friendly...but all in all I liked Claire and Rachel.

I prefer the Saturday Edition programme to four hours of Nolan....even if he did admit he had never heard of Elbow...there has to be a headline in there of the ar*e not knowing the elbow!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see we're back to the BBC's obsession with gender reassignment on Adrian's programme this morning !
  • Options
    ptm1ptm1 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I never thought I'd say it, but I wish Richard Bacon would come back on in the afternoons. The two people on in his slot are terrible. At least you would get proper in depth interviews with guests, now it's just questions thrown at them randomly. It's dumb downed ITV moring show rubbish.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I see we're back to the BBC's obsession with gender reassignment on Adrian's programme this morning !

Frank Maloney wants to be known as a woman, hold the front pages.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    ptm1 wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say it, but I wish Richard Bacon would come back on in the afternoons. The two people on in his slot are terrible. At least you would get proper in depth interviews with guests, now it's just questions thrown at them randomly. It's dumb downed ITV moring show rubbish.

I am afraid that you are right. The "partnership" is not working, and the questioning is indeed random, without either of them having the wit to follow up on the answers. I heard a discussiopn on rape last week where there were two guests, and the entire interview just became a chaotic muddle.

still not sure if I want Bacon back - I can onlt stand so much greasiness.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    I am afraid that you are right. The "partnership" is not working, and the questioning is indeed random, without either of them having the wit to follow up on the answers. I heard a discussiopn on rape last week where there were two guests, and the entire interview just became a chaotic muddle.

I don't listen live to the afternoon show but download the podcast and I have to say I quite them. They have had some good guests on and I've found the interviews pretty good. Harry Leslie Smith, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Cullum and Jonathan Powell in particular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that JT but I've started to enjoy Graham Norton - in small doses :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »

I think they're doing alright actually, at least they don't shout their guests down & talk about themselves all the time !
This discussion has been closed.