AI: Artificial Intelligence

necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of the most underrated and misunderstood films of all time is on at BBC Two at 22:45. Anyone watching it or has anyone seen it before?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the most underrated and misunderstood films of all time is on at BBC Two at 22:45. Anyone watching it or has anyone seen it before?

Hmm? It's difficult to give the film too much credit.

Suffering from Kubric's death during filming and not sure what influence Spielberg had on the ending, the film doesn't live up to expectations, depending on if you wanted Kubric to finish it or not.

As someone who has studied the Philosophy of AI, I find the film doesn't really answer any questions it raises and the ending is too much of a cop out for me.

In the end (not of the film BTW) the main question is 'What makes us, Us?' and like I said this film doesn't really answer that.

Visually the film is very good, and again it is difficult to see which director had an influence in which parts of the film.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an awful, awful film.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate the film and I've seen it a few times. It's just a bit depressing.

I do however love the soundtrack.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm? It's difficult to give the film too much credit.

Suffering from Kubric's death during filming and not sure what influence Spielberg had on the ending, the film doesn't live up to expectations, depending on if you wanted Kubric to finish it or not.

As someone who has studied the Philosophy of AI, I find the film doesn't really answer any questions it raises and the ending is too much of a cop out for me.

In the end (not of the film BTW) the main question is 'What makes us, Us?' and like I said this film doesn't really answer that.

Visually the film is very good, and again it is difficult to see which director had an influence in which parts of the film.

With regards to the ending, it's been backed up by Kubrick's brother in law (who I think was also producer of the film) and his widow that it was Stanley's idea. I know some people can't stomach it and obviously think it's Spielberg at his most schmaltzy.

IMO the ending is great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    With regards to the ending, it's been backed up by Kubrick's brother in law (who I think was also producer of the film) and his widow that it was Stanley's idea. I know some people can't stomach it and obviously think it's Spielberg at his most schmaltzy.

IMO the ending is great.

Do you think
    The things at the end of the film were aliens or advanced Mecha?

The ending just seemed to be tagged on though, so if Kubrick was part of it, it must have become disjointed somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL The kid with artificial legs enhancements says 'I'm real'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think
    The things at the end of the film were aliens or advanced Mecha?

The ending just seemed to be tagged on though, so if Kubrick was part of it, it must have become disjointed somehow.

I always thought they were
    advanced mechas and not aliens

Though I can understand why some people would think otherwise, especially if they've seen other Spielberg films like Close Encounters.

The film hints early on how it's all going to end by Jude Law's character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought they were
    advanced mechas and not aliens

Though I can understand why some people would think otherwise, especially if they've seen other Spielberg films like Close Encounters.

The film hints early on how it's all going to end by Jude Law's character.

Yes I understand the film in that context now, and agree in terms of humanity's existence, but I still feel the ending lets us down in terms of what it is to be 'sentient' (rather than human).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I don't hate the film and I've seen it a few times. It's just a bit depressing.

I do however love the soundtrack.

It is a bit sad I agree, it's why it resonates with me so much. IMO a perfect Kubrick/Spielberg hybrid. And yeah, John Williams score is brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The son was a nasty gimp. Obviously jealous, but still a sadist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I understand the film in that context now, and agree in terms of humanity's existence, but I still feel the ending lets us down in terms of what it is to be 'sentient' (rather than human).

I think there's a clear distinction at the end that David
    was never and will never be a sentient being
    . Is that the tragedy of the ending? Maybe. The most resonant thing about the film for me is the relationship between the mother and David.
    The son was a nasty gimp. Obviously jealous, but still a sadist.

He is horrible lol! I'm not watching the film at the moment, I have it on Blu-ray and have seen it many times before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most resonant thing about the film for me is the relationship between the mother and David.

Yes the relationship between the mother and David is a good example of behaviourism.

She is able to believe he is a real boy as long as he is behaving like one, but as soon as he behaves in a different way, the illusion is broken.

But this can apply to humans too, such as when they start acting differently because of mental illness.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this when it came out. The sugar-coated ending killed it for me. I haven't seen it since.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doomsday Book (2012) might interest you. It's a South Korean anthology film, but one of three stories feature 'The Heavenly Creature'. An ambitious engineer is sent to investigate a claim that a Buddhist temple-worker robot has achieved enlightenment, and ends up exploring the concept of morals, humanity and life.
    I'm still not sure if director Jee-woon Kim (A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, I Saw the Devil) has pulled it off, but that might be just me as a couple of conversations flew over my head. At times it felt like I was watching a court trial. In spite of this, it's the best of three. Aesthetically pleasing and thought-provoking.

Actually, the other two might interest you as well. 'A Brave New World' is about the ironic effects of disrupting the food chain of life, and 'Happy Birthday' is a take on the Butterfly effect as a chaos theory. Those aren't as good or interesting as 'The Heavenly Creature', though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Doomsday Book (2012) might interest you. It's a South Korean anthology film, but one of three stories feature 'The Heavenly Creature'. An ambitious engineer is sent to investigate a claim that a Buddhist temple-worker robot has achieved enlightenment, and ends up exploring the concept of morals, humanity and life.
    I'm still not sure if director Jee-woon Kim (A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, I Saw the Devil) has pulled it off, but that might be just me as a couple of conversations flew over my head. At times it felt like I was watching a court trial. In spite of this, it's the best of three. Aesthetically pleasing and thought-provoking.

Actually, the other two might interest you as well. 'A Brave New World' is about the ironic effects of disrupting the food chain of life, and 'Happy Birthday' is a take on the Butterfly effect as a chaos theory. Those aren't as good or interesting as 'The Heavenly Creature', though.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look out for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched this when it came out. The sugar-coated ending killed it for me. I haven't seen it since.

I'm happy with the ending up to and including meeting the advanced mechas.

It's just the bit with the pretend blue angel and the mechas bringing people back just for one day, that disappoints me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "and for the first time in his 'life' he went to that place where dreams are born".

Where's the rolleyes smiley when you need it? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "and for the first time in his 'life' he went to that place where dreams are born".

Where's the rolleyes smiley when you need it? :)

It's unashamed schmaltz, no doubt about it. But I love the ending and that line fits in with the Pinocchio nature of the story. The blue fairy motif throughout is brilliant. Does Kubrick's added Pinocchio element interfere with some of the questions asked about artificial intelligence? Probably and maybe that's a flaw, but that doesn't ruin it the film for me.

The fairytale aspect of AI won't please anyone who wanted a strict philosophical sci-fi film that's for sure :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first time I saw this film I thought the female mecha at the beginning and the mother were the same character , they do look alike , and I thought that's where its going - he's gonna find out his mom is a mecha too .

I really like this film , especially Teddy , I wish he was in it more .
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this at the cinema when it came out.

I hated it.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love it, and schmaltzy or not, the ending made me cry my eyes out.

A fantastically realised vision of the future. Mecha=immigrants, being used as scapegoats to distract the populace from blaming those in real power.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a good film, it seemed like 2 styles running side by side conflicting sometimes.

Very interesting ideas, and amazing acting and the visuals were superp, but something wasnt quite right.

It could have been great, but it was only good IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent film.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Dreadful mish-mash that doesn't even begin to work. You can just about detect the aspects that presumably interested Kubrick - especially early on - but with Big Steve at the wheel you know he'll eventually steer it into a giant vat of sugary pigswill, which he duly does of course.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful mish-mash that doesn't even begin to work. You can just about detect the aspects that presumably interested Kubrick - especially early on - but with Big Steve at the wheel you know he'll eventually steer it into a giant vat of sugary pigswill, which he duly does of course.

Lol.....