Ebay - Don't want to send item to winning bidder

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sold a phone, person who won as (1) feedback.

Don't want to send phone to this person, could be risky (they haven't paid yet either)

I'd rather cancel their bid, and let the person who came second (300 feedback) have it

Is there any way I can cancel the winners bid? (you can't normally cancel a bid after the auction has finished)..

Thanks

Comments

• cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    If they don't pay don't send it, send them an invoice then wait for payment, I've had a non payer and after a week emailed them to ask if they still wAnted the item asking them to respond within 48 hours, I then asked the next bidder if they wanted it for their top bid, this can be one through eBay as a 'second chance offer ' the original 'buyers' eventually responded saying they changed their mind , time wasters !
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 1 feedback? That they have only got 1 example of feedback or they have got lots of negative feedback?
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Wait till you've got your money .......surely you'd do that anyway wouldn't you?
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Sorry but you are being completely unreasonable.

Everyone starts with 1 feedback at some point. You only have a problem if it has been like 3 days and they still haven't paid. Even then you still should have the damn courtesy to give them a chance.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I fail to see the problem. Wait for the payment to come through, then send the phone.
    If the payment isn't forthcoming don't send the phone.
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Whenever you do get notification of a payment from the buyer, make sure it's genuine before doing anything with the phone. I was almost scammed on eBay a while back when I was selling a phone, so be careful. :)
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Give them 5 days to pay first and only cancel at this point if they havent paid.Play fair its not their fault their new with only one feedback.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait till you've got your money .......surely you'd do that anyway wouldn't you?

Doesn't work like that, it's eBay. Even if the money is sent, the buyer can claim that the item didn't arrive and the seller is screwed. eBay is nothng more than a legalised scam.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    cantelpit wrote: »
    If they don't pay don't send it, send them an invoice then wait for payment, I've had a non payer and after a week emailed them to ask if they still wAnted the item asking them to respond within 48 hours, I then asked the next bidder if they wanted it for their top bid, this can be one through eBay as a 'second chance offer ' the original 'buyers' eventually responded saying they changed their mind , time wasters !

Can be quite annoying to go through that process.

Dunno if it's still the same but I flogged a motorbike on eBay a couple of years ago and, after the winner failed to pay, I was told that I had to give them 28 days to pay, before I could contact the 2nd highest bidder.
    Amazingly, the same bloody rigmarole happened with the 2nd highest bidder and then, 2 months later, I contacted the 3rd highest bidder and he said...

"Sorry mate, I really wanted it but I ended up buying a different bike a month ago".

Ffffuuuuu..... >:(>:(>:(
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    cantelpit wrote: »

Read this

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/unpaid-items.html
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Doesn't work like that, it's eBay. Even if the money is sent, the buyer can claim that the item didn't arrive and the seller is screwed. eBay is nothng more than a legalised scam.

Not if sent by registered delivery they can't. And if you don't send by registered delivery how do you know it turned up?
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who on earth sends an item before it's paid for?
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    fleabee wrote: »

DHS sofas? Pay nothing now (but we'll take half your life savings a bit per month for about a million months?). :D

Jesting aside, this does indeed seem a fairly easy one for the OP to resolve- they pay you the money, once it's transferred you send the item. Not a tricky one I reckon.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proof of postage/buyer signature is pointless anyway. The seller could send a box full of weights to the winning buyer and say they sent the phone.

EBAY sides with the buyer most of the time anyway. It's stupid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not if sent by registered delivery they can't. And if you don't send by registered delivery how do you know it turned up?

Not sure if it is still the same, but be very aware of the different timescales between PayPal, Ebay, Royal Mail etc.

Royal Mail may not investigate something that goes missing for 28 days or more, but PayPal give you ten days to provide proof of delivery etc. That caused me a few problems, and back then PayPal would only accept documents via fax, no emails with PDF or JPG files attached. I mean even ten years ago fax was well on it's way out. Plus they had no telephone number at the time (I believe that has changed), you could only deal with them by email.

I gave up and haven't sold anything via Ebay, nor have I used Paypal for anything in almost 6 years.
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are numerous forums to deal with this on the ebay site. Click the "community" tab at the top of any page
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It seems I'm not the only person who doesn't see a dilemma here.

Wait for the payment to go into your account then send the phone.

We all started off with zero feedback and this person has at least one positive transaction (presumably as a buyer) to their name.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you're not sure, do as others have said here, send it only when cleared funds have been paid, but...make a note of the phones IMEI number before you send it.

To get the IMEI, either look on the (original) box or dial *#06# (star hash zero six hash) and make a note of the number.

Send the phone via Royal Mail "Special Delivery". This is traceable.

Should the buyer then claim you never sent the phone, simply phone up your phone provider (O2, Vodafone etc), and tell them the phone is lost. They will ask for the IMEI number and block the phone. It will be a paper weight then.

You can then advise the buyer than once he retracts, (to ebay), his false claim of non delivery, you will then get the phone unblocked.

Make sure you communicate via the ebay email system and NO OTHER WAY. This way you will have email proof of any conversation.

If you do that, you'll be pretty much protected.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this is really straightforward, it isn't a question of "if". The CATEGORICAL rule of operating on Ebay is that you only send once you have got a payment in your paypal account from the buyer. It really is that simple and needs no more complication. If you send something without waiting for a payment you only have yourself to blame.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always state that I will only sell and post to UK buyers with a UK postal address and I will not send the goods until the payment has cleared into my bank.

With over 200 feedbacks, I am still 100%, so it works for me.:)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »

A fair few people on here going off the number of times it comes up in the Advice section...
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming you mean Signed For it actually counts for very little if there is a devious scammer at the buying end.

A few months ago a DS poster was scammed after selling an item on ebay to a buyer from Bilston, West Midlands. Item was sent Signed For and delivery confirmed.

Buyer then puts the transaction into dispute saying 'item doesn't work'.

Seller asked for item to be returned.

Buyer mails back via Signed For delivery, not to the Sellers address but a postal code within the Sellers area.

Buyer contacted the PO who investigated and found the name and address the item had been returned to. The item sent back turned out to be an empty book of stamps in an envelope.

Meanwhile ebay not only refunded the Buyer/Scammer....he then cancelled his account, opened up a new one, and moved on to scam his next target. He continued to repeat this for a number of months. At one point he also registered in DS under the id name of "Alarmset" specifically to watch what was being said about him.

Last i heard was the West Midlands Fraud Squad were involved.

You can read the thread here;

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936413&highlight=ebay
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot cancel a bid after the auction has ended. Just don't send it to him, you might get a negative but at least you will still have the 'phone.

If they pay then refund straight away. Tell them your are sorry but you would rather not sell it now.

You won't be able to offer the underbidder a chance to buy, you would need to relist it first.

Some people in these forums don't know what Ebay has become, a total scam. Scam buyers/scam sellers.

Selling 'phones on Ebay is like betting on the Grand National, the chances are you are going to lose.

I wouldn't sell to a (1) feedback, the odds are high this is a dubious individual. The fact it might be an honest buyer don't come into it, the OP is not a priest required by his calling to trust all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I've been scammed a few times in the past, I eventually just gave up altogether with Ebay and Paypal.

One of my friends still uses them, but she's very strict on how she goes about it.

She refuses to sell outside the UK.
    She refuses to sell to anyone with zero or low feedback.
    She refuses to sell to anyone whose account is less than six months old.
    She refuses to sell to anyone whose account isn't active, in that she wont sell if the buyers account doesn't show evidence of actively being used over the last six months. She spends ages looking at a buyer's account before deciding whether to actually send the item or instantly refund without sending if the buyer has already paid.
    She will only send items to verified PayPal addresses.
    She records all serial numbers, and in the case of phones, their IMEI numbers. She takes photographs or videos of the items fully working, and of them being packaged up and addressed.
    She only sends items fully recorded and insured, which of course drives up postage costs and undoubtedly puts some genuine buyers off.

She also makes it clear on her listings that she goes to all of this trouble, but explains it is because of the very large numbers of scammers that seem to infest Ebay these days.

It's a bit much really that honest sellers have to try everything like that to try and stop themselves being scammed, and still often aren't able to protect themselves.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been scammed a few times in the past, I eventually just gave up altogether with Ebay and Paypal.

One of my friends still uses them, but she's very strict on how she goes about it.

She refuses to sell outside the UK.
    She refuses to sell to anyone with zero or low feedback.
    She refuses to sell to anyone whose account is less than six months old.
    She refuses to sell to anyone whose account isn't active, in that she wont sell if the buyers account doesn't show evidence of actively being used over the last six months. She spends ages looking at a buyer's account before deciding whether to actually send the item or instantly refund without sending if the buyer has already paid.
    She will only send items to verified PayPal addresses.
    She records all serial numbers, and in the case of phones, their IMEI numbers. She takes photographs or videos of the items fully working, and of them being packaged up and addressed.
    She only sends items fully recorded and insured, which of course drives up postage costs and undoubtedly puts some genuine buyers off.

She also makes it clear on her listings that she goes to all of this trouble, but explains it is because of the very large numbers of scammers that seem to infest Ebay these days.

It's a bit much really that honest sellers have to try everything like that to try and stop themselves being scammed, and still often aren't able to protect themselves.
    BIB.......does she realise whatever postal amount she puts on, ebay will take 10% of that figure in addition to all their other fees?

The only way to avoid this silly charge now is advertising an item as Postage Free.