Options

Why isn't Len being dumped?

snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quite recently the BBC dumped Michel Roux junior from Masterchef because he was using his BBC based fame to advertise potatoes. And quite right too.

So how come Len, who is now regularly seen in advertising commercials is still around.

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC reading about it at the time, it was claimed it was something to do with the BBC's policy on presenters' commercial interests. Though that would not explain it properly either since Len has done and is doing some presenting work for them.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the BBC would argue that it becomes a problem where the commercial interests and the type of programming overlap such that it might look as if the BBC was endorsing the commercial interest. I would think if Len's ads were for a chain of dance studios, or some such, there would be a problem. I think people like Jamie Oliver moved from the BBC to C4 for similar reasons (endorsing Sainsbury's food while cooking on the BBC is an obvious conflict). Not sure it's very clear where the line is, though....

ETA: Didn't Brendan get very hot under the collar about Vincent and Flavia's show getting featured on Strictly whilst the other pros were forbidden from promoting their own tours and shows. (Unfortunately, I can't remember if this was after V and F had left or during their last series, so I can't decide if he was justified or not :p)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I think the BBC would argue that it becomes a problem where the commercial interests and the type of programming overlap such that it might look as if the BBC was endorsing the commercial interest. I would think if Len's ads were for a chain of dance studios, or some such, there would be a problem. I think people like Jamie Oliver moved from the BBC to C4 for similar reasons (endorsing Sainsbury's food while cooking on the BBC is an obvious conflict).)

Correct:
    A BBC spokeswoman said that Roux’s deal as ambassador for the Rooster potatoes – announced 18 months ago in August 2012 - did not comply with BBC guidelines in which presenters are banned from promoting anything that is similar to their on-screen persona.

She said it was similar to when Jamie Oliver's ties with the BBC ended in 2002 after he signed a multi-million pound deal to be the face of Sainsbury’s – soon afterwards after he joined Channel 4.

Allowing Roux, 53, to continue on his BBC shows would have left bosses open to criticism over his lack of impartiality when it came to potatoes, she explained.

“There was simply no way of making it work within the guidelines. The choice was his to make and he chose to leave.”
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/michel-roux-jr-quits-masterchef-3231178
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »

ETA: Didn't Brendan get very hot under the collar about Vincent and Flavia's show getting featured on Strictly whilst the other pros were forbidden from promoting their own tours and shows. (Unfortunately, I can't remember if this was after V and F had left or during their last series, so I can't decide if he was justified or not :p)

I think it was after they left officially, although I wouldn't have put it past Brendan to have few mumblings during the series. I think the difference is though, Midnight Tango was an actual West End Show as opposed to just a dance tour. I think there's a subtle difference, but it appeared to have made the difference.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Len is the only qualified ballroom dancer on the panel, they'd be silly to sack him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canr see why Len wants to be seen promoting Farm Foods perhaps the money he gets for Strictly and DWTS is not enough for him?!!! Scraping the barrel a bit though with Farm Foods.:p
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might have to put a stop to him pickling his walnuts if there's a conflict of interests ;)
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changes will always happen but it's wise to do them gradually.

This year we see Bruce gone and a couple of the pro dancers.

Viewers adapt to changes slowly and losing Len as well could be a change too far at this point for some.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Len is the only qualified ballroom dancer on the panel, they'd be silly to sack him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced eventually. He's not the only qualified ballroom dancer/judge in the UK. Generally in the past I've thought he was ok although I've always had my niggles about him but last series I found a lot of his 'judging' a joke and I think his ad libs and attempts at humour are getting tired and repetitive too. I'd like to see some fresh blood on the panel - and by that I don't mean replacing him with Anton! I'd like a genuinely funny, nice good natured personality from the ballroom world - there must be someone out there with experience. Len has made enough money over the years on DWTS and Strictly and his other various interests. I'd like someone else to be given a chance.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    As has been said already - it is all about context.

Len can do adverts for non-dance related products as much as he likes.

He can probably own a dance studio as long as it is not featured on Strictly.
    (Or used for rehearsals by the celebs and Pro's)

He could probably make "how to dance" DVD's - as long as these were made by the BBC.

Percy Thrower got fired by the BBC many years ago for promoting Gardening products, however the BBC now has Gardener's World branded products.

A formula one racing driver being interviewed by the BBC can wear a top with the name or logo of a sponsor on it.
    A commentator or pundit in the studio cannot wear anything with a commercial logo on it.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh NO................... I wouldn't like it at all if Len left!.... but I must say!, 'I do think he should stop doing DWTS.. all that travelling and jet lag makes him too grumpy'........
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, exactly what everyone else has said. Gary Lineker has done the Walkers adverts for years but there might be some trouble if he started doing ads for football boots or something similar.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to see Len replaced, I feel the show would benefit from a new judge, with new thoughts. A lot of what Len says is very predictable. There are a lot of highly qualified Ballroom and Latin judges on the circuit, and with personality, that would do very well.
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think replacing Len would be far, far easier than replacing Bruce. There are loads of ex-pros who would do a great job - loads are qualified judges and Brendan, Darren, Lilia and probably others have all been judges on overseas versions of Strictly. Or if the producers are set on having a recognisable 'personality', much as I would hate it, Anton is probably much better suited to being a judge than a pro anyway, and most people who watch the show even a bit have heard of him.
  • Options
    Gaz112Gaz112 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want to lose Len, but Ian Waite might make a good judge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaz112 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to lose Len, but Ian Waite might make a good judge.

Ian would make a good judge- as would karen hardy and quote a few other pro's known to the SCD audience - Ian knows what he is talking about, when it comes to both Ballroom and Latin, whereas most tend towards one or the other discipline.
  • Options
    soexcitedsoexcited Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Strictly without Len!!! I agree karen and ian would make good judges but replace Darcy for one of them. Craig and bruno to go before len. I enjoy their pantomime responses but could just as happily lose them. Lose len, never I say, never!☺ used to be an anton fan but he's losing his appeal for me. Give him a contender this year and if not successful its time to go I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soexcited wrote: »
    Strictly without Len!!! I agree karen and ian would make good judges but replace Darcy for one of them. Craig and bruno to go before len. I enjoy their pantomime responses but could just as happily lose them. Lose len, never I say, never!☺ used to be an anton fan but he's losing his appeal for me. Give him a contender this year and if not successful its time to go I say.

In my opinion, Anton should have gone years ago, there are far better dancers around.Having said that though, I do feel for him as they nearly always save the older woman for him. He may be luckier this year as the most of the ladies, announced to appear, seem much younger, so far.