Options

Overrated Video Games

RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For any video game in general, which ones do you personally consider to be rather overrated?

Comments

• Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is too similar to the 'games everyone loves part form you' thread but I'll bite:

The Last of Us. It's not that it's bad or anything... it's just not as good as everyone says. One of the reasons why I chose a PS4 over the XBox One (other than price) was because of its much hyped exclusives like Uncharted, Infamous and of course The Last of Us. Obviously, I haven't played Uncharted 4 but Infamous ended up being super fun and dynamic. Last of Us was tonally depressing, repetitive and nowhere near as engaging of a story as reviews would have you believe. It's a 7/10 for me at best which is a good score but when you go in expecting a 9/10 or 10/10 game it's disappointing to say the least.
  • Options
    Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    This thread is too similar to the 'games everyone loves part form you' thread but I'll bite:.

I'm pretty sure the mods can merge it with the other thread if possible. Nothing to fuss about.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here we go again, going to back out this time

but any one that doesn't like TLOU is wrong ;) and watch dogs was just so boring
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Super Mario games. Same thing over and over either with a time limit or one bar of health.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every game other than battlefield. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Watch Dogs - dissapointing
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I don't know if Watchdogs is overrated. It received mixed reviews and none saying it's the bees knees. I think people's thoughts on it are spot on.

I agree with TLOU. A very good game, but for me, not the masterpiece everyone said it was.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the mods can merge it with the other thread if possible. Nothing to fuss about.

I wasn't necessarily 'fussing'; I was just making the OP aware so that he can have it merged...
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I don't know if Watchdogs is overrated. It received mixed reviews and none saying it's the bees knees. I think people's thoughts on it are spot on.

Yeah, Watchdogs reviews were very mixed and even the ones that liked it expressed disappointment that it didn't live up to the hype.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say The Last of Us. What a pile of ....!
    This is what is wrong with gaming now. Games have to have some sort of "deep" story to suddenly become amazing.
    Minecraft is one of the biggest games out there now and has zero story. I wish games would go back to putting their efforts into good gameplay and stop all this cutscenes rubbish.
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Last of Us.
    Have to agree with the previous poster about cut-scenes. When they first arrived, they were there to compliment the game. Now it seems there are whole adverts for games with small print at the bottom of the screen saying "not actual in-game footage" or suchlike...
    Doesn't make me want to but the game! Let's see the goods.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Ah story driven games have their place too. I love story driven games, and while TLOU is very good, I just think it's a bit overrated. It got 10/10 almost everywhere and like Naa_ , it's about a 7 or 8 / 10 for me.

TLOU had that "deep story" because that's what they were going for. I don't fault them for that. If it wasn't for the story I would only be giving it a 4 / 10.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any FPS, especially Halo and the COD series.

But thats the great thing about gaming, there are plenty of choices for every taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Halo games. They're boring IMO
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this difficult to answer because I don't like the term overrated isn't that just a way of saying everyone else is wrong and I am right? Using the phrase 'it's not as good as everyone says it is' seems to suggest that too, surely it is that good to some people. I know i'm being nit picky about it but it's just a phrase that gets used a lot and I don't think it adds much to a discussion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I loved TLOU to me a 10/10 game, Destiny I knew it was not great but I am enjoying it, solid 7 or 8 out of 10.

Infamous Second Son, solid 7 to 8 as well, Watchdogs was boring, to me 5/10 just not worth playing compared to my last go at Borderlands 2
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the Halo and Call of Duty mentions.

Pretty much every final fantasy game since Sakaguchi stepped down. Pretty much all of SE's output over the last 5 years for that matter (and that company has so many great brands which are just shelved while they milk a couple of flagships).

Aion Online (which was hyped up to the hilt as a WoW killer and was dull as shit)

Star Ocean The Last Hope (way to ruin a great series)

Grand Theft Auto III (I felt that installment was so flat, the only one I haven't completed)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metal gear... Haven't a clue what's going on
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metal gear... Haven't a clue what's going on

I have no patience with stealth games, which renders this series pointless to me.

Ditto the uncharted series, which seems to be spruced up Tomb Raider with stealth and cut scenes.
    Last of Us as other posters have mentioned, isn't bad. Though its an intermittent interactive story.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resident Evil 4.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destiny!

ill admit its great but i don't think its as good as i thought it would be :/ it seems a little repetitive personally but i'm giving it a chance to improve as i'm sure Bungie will do something to make it my binge game :)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Super Mario games. Same thing over and over either with a time limit or one bar of health.

actually its not, they are broken up into different worlds and Mario dosent have a health bar...he has power ups..

so one hit and its goodnight vienna..unless you have a power up....and they vary

so quite varied really
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the metal gear series in general I just think the story is rubbish and there's far too many cutscenes to enjoy the experience.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what is wrong with gaming now. Games have to have some sort of "deep" story to suddenly become amazing.
    Minecraft is one of the biggest games out there now and has zero story. I wish games would go back to putting their efforts into good gameplay and stop all this cutscenes rubbish.

Personally I am glad there are different sorts of games. I enjoy a good story driven game as much as I enjoy a game which only has gameplay and no story driven direction to the game.
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I find this difficult to answer because I don't like the term overrated isn't that just a way of saying everyone else is wrong and I am right? Using the phrase 'it's not as good as everyone says it is' seems to suggest that too, surely it is that good to some people. I know i'm being nit picky about it but it's just a phrase that gets used a lot and I don't think it adds much to a discussion.

QFT

The other thread was titled better "Games everyone loves apart from you"
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Personally I am glad there are different sorts of games. I enjoy a good story driven game as much as I enjoy a game which only has gameplay and no story driven direction to the game.

QFT

The other thread was titled better "Games everyone loves apart from you"

BIB: absolutely agree, if I were to list all the different games I've loved or became in some way addicted to they span both extremes and all have totally different appeals.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metal gear solid, red dead redemption, fifa games