Options

Dave Lee Travis TV archive ban unjust.

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
In the case of DLT

A minority channel refuses to show 35 year old shows hosted by a man who has since been convicted of a minor sexual assault on a woman.

But in the case of Cheryl Cole

A woman was once convicted of assaulting a nightclub worker but yet she is now one of the nation's biggest music stars and a judge on ITV's biggest show.

So Cheryl broke a more serious law than DLT, double standards or what?

Comments

• Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's their company policy on Hitler?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex crimes are always more controversial. (Unless you're an American boxer.)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Leslie Grantham was a convicted murderer when he joined up to Eastenders.

A man who was once convicted of murder and who spent ten years in prison became one of the best known TV actors in the country.

So Leslie broke a more serious law than DLT yet nobody is calling for all his episodes of Eastenders to never be repeated. Double standards or what?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sex crimes are always more controversial. (Unless you're an American boxer.)
    Tyson was denied entry to the UK.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

A man who was once convicted of murder and who spent ten years in prison became one of the best known TV actors in the country.

So Leslie broke a more serious law than DLT yet nobody is calling for all his episodes of Eastenders to never be repeated. Double standards or what?

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

His conviction is also somewhat questionable, but that's another matter.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    What's their company policy on Hitler?
    I too want to know this. I was quite partial to his black & white minstrels routine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No musical artist who has ever used illegal drugs should be broadcast. Or indeed authors, painters etc.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

he still features in movies, fights, documentaries, even this site has had features on him.

I find it amazing the hysteria around some celebs, but the seemingly glossing over for others.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, deprived of seeing "The Hairy Cornflake" :(
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was in the days before Great Britain had become Savilised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    No musical artist who has ever used illegal drugs should be broadcast. Or indeed authors, painters etc.
    That's just about the entire music industry 'done for' then.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    That was in the days before Great Britain had become Savilised.
    I love that with chips
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, deprived of seeing "The Hairy Cornflake" :(

I know. I don't think I can go on living now.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that with chips

Wave one around near a young woman and it's curtains for you.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a 'minority channel'? A private cable channel?

If so, then it doesn't bother me because every private company has a policy. There's one that won't buy or broadcast anything that "takes the Lord's name in vain".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    he still features in movies, fights, documentaries, even this site has had features on him.

I find it amazing the hysteria around some celebs, but the seemingly glossing over for others.
    Hughie Green had some very good friends......until he was dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just about the entire music industry 'done for' then.

But we are saving the nation's youth from being corrupted!
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well - I've been searching all night and I cannot find a sh*t to give about this.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the rate its going on with these dj's, the repeated programmes of old Top Of The Pops will only last 5 minutes!! :o
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo come to think of it we'll never again see, for example, the episode of HIGNFY with Rolf Harris in it that used to air on Dave about 16 times a week.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    At the rate its going on with these dj's, the repeated programmes of old Top Of The Pops will only last 5 minutes!! :o
    Even worse, nobody will want to become a DJ anymore - we might be forced to listen to music on the radio without all that drivel in-between... how will we cope :o:p
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the dvd audio commentary for 'Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks', which Grantham is also in, Peter Davison says Grantham was best mates with the original casting director of EE, if I'm recalling it correctly anyway. DLT is currently best mates with no one at the BBC I'd imagine.

Alexei Sayle has an anecdote in which he says that at around that time Disney issued a libel writ for a BBC sketch with Sayle in it that satirised Disney. Sayle says he went into a meeting with a BBC lawyer, expecting to have it explained in legalese what the arguments for and against Disney's case were. Instead the lawyer told him "F*** Disney, we're the BBC". I dunno if the story is true or there for comic effect, but it does suggest the BBC may have had arrogance issues at the time.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    and tesco have stopped selling tahini what`s your point?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC forgot to edit out Saville after showing Top of the pops and he wasn't even trailed as he's dead.