Cheese on Toast anyone?

Comments

• john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like cheese on toast but I do like toasted cheese.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just toast the bread, put some mature cheese with onions in the microwave, then pour on top.

Never thought about putting butter on it though. I thought that was another meal on it's own.:p
  • fitziifitzii Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lightly toast one side, t'other side pile the cheese on, bit of black pepper and a dash of worcester sauce shove under grill till it bubbles a bit then eat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thick sliced , white or brown I don't mind. Toast bread first, cheese to the edges and a splash of Worcester Sauce. The cheese has to bubble and slightly catch.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toast the bread first, (usually wholemeal) then butter lightly. Place slice of cheese on one slice. Microwave for 20 seconds to melt. Spread chutney of your choice on other slice. Sandwich together. For light snack, I use one slice cut in half, cheese on one side, chutney on other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Now if you have ham,,cheese and tomato, well thats more yummy..
    :D
    Grill toast lightly, (both sides), then put marg on, cream cheese on, ham, grated cheese, and sliced tomato ontop to finish..Put under grill, and eat straight away..yummy!! :p..Its real nice with those baguettes too..:)
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toast one side of thick sliced white bread
    Very lightly butter untoasted side
    Sliced gouda on top, make sure it goes right to edges
    Sprinkle with a thinly sliced frankfurter
    Grill till frankfurter is sizzling and cheese is fully melted

Enjoy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Toast the bread first
    Completely cover in grated cheddar place under warm grill
    When cheese is just starting to melt drizzle some Lea & Perrins and return to grill to finish off.

Is sooooo yummy :)
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lightly toast one side of the bread, spread the other side fairly generously with strawberry jam, top with cheddar and pop under the grill to melt the cheese - divine!
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granary bread, lightly toasted, no butter, thick slices of very mature cheese, no grating, then splashes of Worcester sauce and some finely chopped chilli, under the grill until bubbly and then enjoy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Now if you have ham,,cheese and tomato, well thats more yummy..
    :D
    Grill toast lightly, (both sides), then put marg on, cream cheese on, ham, grated cheese, and sliced tomato ontop to finish..Put under grill, and eat straight away..yummy!! :p..Its real nice with those baguettes too..:)

An ex-boss of mine taught me this but with bacon, he was from Stoke. He also introduced me to the combination via Staffordshire oatcakes - gorgeous.
  • madeofglassmadeofglass Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Toast 1 side under the grill until slightly golden
    Flip over, add medium cheddar or mozzarella until entire slice is covered
    Add thinkly sliced tomato
    Grill until cheese is about to start bubbling

It's rather boring but may try some of the variations above.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a variation which I do when I've got left-over cheese sauce:

When making cheese sauce, save a bit and put in a covered dish in the fridge. Next day, spread the cheese sauce (which, by now, should be quite firm and spreadable) over toasted bread. Top with a pineapple slice, sprinkle with Worcester sauce and grill till a few brown spots appear, A bit of grated cheese can be sprinkled over if preferred.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Question for the OP, where do you get your marg from? I didn't think that you could buy it in the UK but I could be wrong. Plus the fact that you may not reside in the UK, okay disregard this post.

According to the TV series QI, Margerine is no longer on sale in the UK,

Best cheese on toast involves extra mature Cheddar and a sprinkling of Worcestershire Sauce
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »
    According to the TV series QI, Margerine is no longer on sale in the UK,

what is stork then ??

http://www.unilever.co.uk/brands/foodbrands/Stork.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    However it comes, it is all delish, but my fave is granary bread, no butter, thick slices of cheese, under the grill and serve with black pepper and piccallilli or brown pickle.
  • trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the cheese starts to bubble, sprinkle some worcester sauce over it (so it soaks into the cheese) and put it back under the grill to finish off.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member

Stork is now called a spread not Margerine. As QI stated the name Margerine has vanished from UK shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Chorizo sausage, thin-sliced, the spicier the better. A good, strong cheddar, Worcester sauce a must, but I toast one side of the bread first then sprinkle the WS on the untoasted side before adding cheese etc.

Also, cut up some cherry tomatoes, yummo.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago I was round a friends and her mum prepared some Cheese on toast, she beat up a couple of eggs,grated fresh cheese and stuck some on a slice of (one sided toasted bread) it was gorgeous ......

I just usually slice up cheese, toast one side of the bread and then on the other side place the sliced cheese (so it overlaps) then grill till bubbly.....:)
  • Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I was round a friends and her mum prepared some Cheese on toast, she beat up a couple of eggs,grated fresh cheese and stuck some on a slice of (one sided toasted bread) it was gorgeous ......

I just usually slice up cheese, toast one side of the bread and then on the other side place the sliced cheese (so it overlaps) then grill till bubbly.....:)

That's how we have it, but into the mix we add english mustard. We call 'grandma's cheese on toast'. Mmmmm

amble off and see what is in the kitchen:o:D
  • Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheese on toast is okay, some sliced tomato and scallions is a nice touch. But if I am feeling a bit bored, I prefer welsh rarebit instead.

Grated caerphilly, flour, cream, egg yolk, Guinness, balsamic vinegar, mustard and paprika.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toast the bread on both sides, spread a bit of tomato sauce on one side, grated chedder cheese on top, grill, slice into triangle and enjoy! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always have a thick layer of marmite on the toast, then the cheese but not too thick........grill til both cheese and marmite bubbles mmmmmmm

I was just about to write about the joys of adding marmite under the cheese - for me it's the only way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was actually eating cheese on toast last night and thinking if I beat an egg and mixed it with grated cheese and then spead the mix on toast does that work?
    Is that welsh rarebit? (but minus the beer)