Do any airlines fly to Ireland without passports?

BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys. I wonder if anyone can help. I'd like to visit Dublin in the new year, but I don't have a passport. I do have a photo driving licence. I know the ferries take people without passports. Are there any airlines that still do?

Comments

• PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I don't think so, sorry.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange - why would you need a passport to visit the Irish Republic?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BA and BMI should be ok, I think Aer Lingus too.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I don't think so, sorry.
    Yeah that was what I thought. I know Ryanair and Easyjet need passports. Anyone know if any of the smaller airlines have different rules?
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I think we have got to a stage where you need a passport these days for all domestic flights. Seems unfair as why should you pay the huge sum for a passport if you don't intend going abroad?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't, but in the name of revenue protection and "security" some carriers require you to have certain forms of ID e.g. Ryanair require passports even for UK domestic flights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    I think we have got to a stage where you need a passport these days for all domestic flights.

You don't - British Airways don't need any form of ID, for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Ryanair require passports even for UK domestic flights.

What? That is absolutely crazy!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've always wondered that.

Come to think of it, we do we need one to go to any EU countries?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered that.

A national ID card suffices, but as we all know, we all hate ID cards don't we? Most EU countries use ID card schemes, why don't we? £30 for a 10 year ID card if we're going to Europe is better than £78 for a passport.

We don't have borderless travel either because we haven't joined Schengen, the only borderless travel we have is with Ireland and it's not as broad as Schengen. No passport required at all if we join Schengen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

Because we (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) to "protect" our borders didn't sign up to the Schengen Agreement permitting free movement of it's citizens across the EU. If you are French and want to visit Belgium then you go - no paperwork/passport or other mucking about.

However, it's not just the airlines that require valid photo ID - you need to get airside/through airport security and you'll find that difficult without!
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    If you are French and want to visit Belgium then you go - no paperwork/passport or other mucking about.

how would a french person prove they are french if they didn't have any paperwork/id to prove it though?

i assume a non-euro national wanting to cross the french/belgium border would need a passport.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    You don't - British Airways don't need any form of ID, for example.
    BA and BMI would both require a passport.... even for Domestic Flights. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    However, it's not just the airlines that require valid photo ID - you need to get airside/through airport security and you'll find that difficult without!

I think you'll find that a crumpled piece of A4 with a boarding card printed on it usually suffices :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    how would a french person prove they are french if they didn't have any paperwork/id to prove it though?

i assume a non-euro national wanting to cross the french/belgium border would need a passport.

There's no border control in Schengen Countries, just a sign indicating you're changing country, rather like our county borders. You need no form of ID at all except when flying, where a driving licence is acceptable or even a boarding pass will usually suffice in Schengen zones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SchengenGrenzeBayern-Tirol.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

Jump in car, drive till you reach Belgium. No border controls/checkpoints. That why all the "immigrants" can travel all the way across Europe to the camps near Calais - there's no-one to stop/question/check them once they get into the EU.

I recently drove to Romania. Ferry to Calais, drove across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and finally at the Hungarian border I was asked for my passport. That's what the Schengen Agreement means.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no border checking for anyone. You can still see the old border posts at the side of the road in some places but they have been out of use for years - decades I think in the case of Belgium/France.
    The idea of Schengren is the border checks are done only when passing into the Schengren zone eg when you land at an airport or pass a land checkpoint from a non Schengren country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BA and BMI would both require a passport.... even for Domestic Flights. :cool:

They don't!

BA's Conditions of Carriage only refer to passports or visas which you need to enter the country you're travelling to, they don't impose additional requirements.

Here's the relevant page from BMI's website explaining what ID they accept for flights to Ireland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's a different country?
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks David mcn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Denise wrote: »
    I think we have got to a stage where you need a passport these days for all domestic flights. Seems unfair as why should you pay the huge sum for a passport if you don't intend going abroad?

I flew easyjet from Edinburgh to London in September and my photo driving license was fine as ID.
  • lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew Belfast to Glasgow once without my passport, as I was at the US embassy getting a work visa and they hold onto your passport to get the visa thing printed in your passport, think it was easyjet I flew back with
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »

The Republic of Ireland, like the Channel Islands, Isle of Mann and the United Kingdom are part of a shared CTA (Common travel area) which means you can travel between the above mentioned places without legally needing a passport.

Some airlines might only accept a passport for ID, but there is no legal need for it. An airline could verify your identity with a driving licence for example.

Our CTA is a bit like the European Schengen Zone, but our own little version of it.. a 'free travel area'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »

Don't be silly. There has never been a requirement for UK citizens travelling to the Irish Republic, or Irish citizens travelling to the UK to have passports.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an internal flight last year with FlyBe and was told in advance that a current passport would be required. I was surprised and if the paperwork hadn't told me I would have arrived at Leeds Airport without one as I would have thought it was like taking a train or coach.