Heart Stations

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Back in October, when they had Global's Make Some Noise they listen all the eight global stations on air. I even remember presenters saying "We've teamed up with our Global sister stations like Capital and Classic FM to bring you this charity day" or something like that.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grimshaw84 wrote: »
    I've just found out that two competing condiments are made by the same company. Heinz Tomato Ketchup and HP Sauce are made by the SAME company, Heinz. They don't put the word Heinz on the HP Sauce packaging.

How dare they? I for one will not be eating any Heinz product again. This unethical practice needs to be STOPPED.

OMG I've just found out that Heinz also own Amoy Soy Sauce. When will it end?

Ha ha post of the year!! The 'Heinz haters' won't like it, mind 😉
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Borsant wrote: »

Is there a 'sauce' forum where I can go and register my disgust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member

Haha! "Heinz apologists", "Heinz hymn sheet", "massive swerve", 57 varieties that's more variety than Heart etc...... ;-)
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just played Jess Glynne on Eastenders I wonder if any heart listeners were watching 😃😄😉
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I hope i'm not going to sound thick but I can't see how owning 2 or more radio stations is misleading. They don't try to hide the facts and are fully transparent. The information is there for anyone who wants to know. To mislead someone means you are giving them false information and I can-t see how Global are doing that.

As far as Global bashing goes that is a pretty weak attempt.

Not Global bashing. Far from it. I'm happy enough listening to Classic FM, Smooth, LBC or even occasionally Heart depending on my mood etc.

They're nowhere near as good as BBC Radio given how annoying commercials are but I enjoy a change every so often.
  • Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 20 minutes ago I heard stevie wonder - part time lover, which gets played to death fairdos its a good track, same as sir duke by same artist whys that never played
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    It's a good upbeat pop/dance tune which is popular across many stations from the older middle of the road radio2 too the younger top 40 capital. It's one of those crossover songs.

Using the excuse "it's not familiar" but was the kodaline track familiar when they started playing it "no" but they introduced each time it was played so the listener knew. They do this now and again. That's what I find strange with heart there is no consistency ?

Jess Glynne is currently #1 in the UK Radio Airplay chart.

Played 4907 times last week across 241 stations to a total audience of 71 million.

Kodaline was played 'only' 2414 times to a total audience of 'just' 28.4 million.

#JustSaying;-)
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just played Jess Glynne on Eastenders I wonder if any heart listeners were watching 😃😄😉

Doubt it, Heart and Capital listeners only watch TOWIE and Geordie Shore inbetween being force fed crap from Global and tweeting about how much they love Wand Erection and Wally Murs.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    Doubt it, Heart and Capital listeners only watch TOWIE and Geordie Shore inbetween being force fed crap from Global and tweeting about how much they love Wand Erection and Wally Murs.

....while blindly consuming Heinz products? 😄
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....while blindly consuming Heinz products? 😄

A HP Sauce binge.
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon craig wrote: »
    Jess Glynne is currently #1 in the UK Radio Airplay chart.

Played 4907 times last week across 241 stations to a total audience of 71 million.

Kodaline was played 'only' 2414 times to a total audience of 'just' 28.4 million.

#JustSaying;-)

Just shows then how much heart are behind on what other stations are playing then,so slow at adding songs or ignoring them bizarre system they have.

Just wondering if there are any other stations of Heart's type that are so slow at adding songs or ignoring them ?
    They seem to be quite unique in choosing to play songs sometimes months after there realise ?
    Forum Member
    Just shows then how much heart are behind on what other stations are playing then,so slow at adding songs or ignoring them bizarre system they have.

Just wondering if there are any other stations of Heart's type that are so slow at adding songs or ignoring them ?
    They seem to be quite unique in choosing to play songs sometimes months after there realise ?

Most ac or hot ac stations are slow at adding songs. I'd love to see this rule that states all songs must be added to every playlist.

This applies to all stations not just Heart but general reasons for not adding songs to a playlist can range from not testing well through to personal diskike from the Md, pd or hom. It shouldn't happen but sometimes it does.

At the end of the day no radio station ever lost an audience by not playing 1 song. If your station is not about breaking new music it can do far more damage to your audience if you'te playing the wrong songs. Far better to wait if you're unsure about a song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most ac or hot ac stations are slow at adding songs. I'd love to see this rule that states all songs must be added to every playlist.

This applies to all stations not just Heart but general reasons for not adding songs to a playlist can range from not testing well through to personal diskike from the Md, pd or hom. It shouldn't happen but sometimes it does.

At the end of the day no radio station ever lost an audience by not playing 1 song. If your station is not about breaking new music it can do far more damage to your audience if you'te playing the wrong songs. Far better to wait if you're unsure about a song.

Forgive me for speaking on his behalf, but I think one of the big questions Simon was asking (which hasn't yet been answered) is this: If we accept that all those points regarding the Jess Glynne record are valid, why does the same not apply to Kodaline, who as a band are likely to have been even more unfamiliar to the Heart audience prior to the addition of 'The One'. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Heart shouldn't play Kodaline - I think it actually is a good 'Heart' record - but I think it was the apparent inconsistency that Simon was wanting addressed.
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »
    Not Global bashing. Far from it. I'm happy enough listening to Classic FM, Smooth, LBC or even occasionally Heart depending on my mood etc.

You're not allowed to like Global stations. It's against the anorak rules.

You must therefore be an "apologist" (a Global employee who's paid to defend Global on the DS forums and abides by the Global "hymn sheet". Also, sometimes known as a "yes man") or Ashley Tabor/Richard Park (because they've got nothing better to do with their time).

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    You're not allowed to like Global stations. It's against the anorak rules.

You must therefore be an "apologist" (a Global employee who's paid to defend Global on the DS forums and abides by the Global "hymn sheet". Also, sometimes known as a "yes man") or Ashley Tabor/Richard Park (because they've got nothing better to do with their time).

:)

You missed the bit about said Global employees* being completely incapable of giving a straight answer to a straight question, either avoiding salient points and going instead for the 'anoraks', or simply going to ground for a few days until the uncomfortable questions have passed. You of course being a particular expert in this field! (I won't mention HSBC and tax affairs ;-) )

* I should excuse Smart Programmer from this generalisation!
    Forum Member
    Forgive me for speaking on his behalf, but I think one of the big questions Simon was asking (which hasn't yet been answered) is this: If we accept that all those points regarding the Jess Glynne record are valid, why does the same not apply to Kodaline, who as a band are likely to have been even more unfamiliar to the Heart audience prior to the addition of 'The One'. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Heart shouldn't play Kodaline - I think it actually is a good 'Heart' record - but I think it was the apparent inconsistency that Simon was wanting addressed.

Jon I'm sure you know as well as I do that every station has and always will have inconsistency in its playlisting decisions and that only those who choose the playlist will have the answers to these question. When I worked at a station and wasn't involved in these decisions I didn't know why certain songs were added but others weren't. I just trusted those who examined the figures and made the decisions. At the end of the day I had more important things to worry about like choosing content for my show.

I doubt if anyone who posts here has the answer to Simon's question (as i'm sure you know)
    Forum Member
    You missed the bit about said Global employees* being completely incapable of giving a straight answer to a straight question, either avoiding salient points and going instead for the 'anoraks', or simply going to ground for a few days until the uncomfortable questions have passed. You of course being a particular expert in this field! (I won't mention HSBC and tax affairs ;-) )

* I should excuse Smart Programmer from this generalisation!

You have no idea who I work for jon craig. What makes you think I'm qualified to comment on, or have any knowledge of Global's tax affairs?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »

You can't say that about these stuck at work or coaches who are listening to it against there will. Through I think that is abuse of rights.
    Forum Member
    You can't say that about these stuck at work or coaches who are listening to it against there will. Through I think that is abuse of rights.

So a significant proportion of over 9 million Heart listeners are "stuck at work or coaches"[sic] or "listening to it against there will"[sic] are they?

Really?

How many Rajar ticks do you think Heart are gaining from this "abuse of rights"?
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now TotalRock is leaving DAB, looks like Heart Extra may be coming somewhat soon...

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/04/teamrock-to-leave-national-digital-radio/

80k free space for the inevitably mono replacement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut6 wrote: »
    You have no idea who I work for jon craig. What makes you think I'm qualified to comment on, or have any knowledge of Global's tax affairs?

It wasn't Global's tax affairs I was referring to (although there is obviously a debate to be had on those judging by your answer ;-)) I was referring to allegations about Global's editorial policy regarding the HSBC tax scandal - the suggestion being that the story may not of been widely reported by Global stations for fear of embarrassing some of the company's senior officials. Irrespective of who you may or may not work for I'm sure you at least have an opinion on this story? Equally I thought you may want to share those opinions on these forums?

It seems though, you're more comfortable going after the soft targets and making cheap shots than having any real debate on some more interesting issues which is a shame. But it's also your choice.

As for whether you work for Global or not, I have no idea. You have, however, given that impression on more than one occasion. Maybe you'd like to end the speculation and confirm or deny?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon I'm sure you know as well as I do that every station has and always will have inconsistency in its playlisting decisions and that only those who choose the playlist will have the answers to these question. When I worked at a station and wasn't involved in these decisions I didn't know why certain songs were added but others weren't. I just trusted those who examined the figures and made the decisions. At the end of the day I had more important things to worry about like choosing content for my show.

I doubt if anyone who posts here has the answer to Simon's question (as i'm sure you know)

Of course I know there are often strange decisions. I've been involved on one or two myself that I look back on and think 'did I really play that'? :)

The thing is though, there are well intentioned posters on here who, rightly or wrongly, believe Heart could be a little more adventurous on occasions in their playlisting. The response is generally 'testing...research...familiarity.....more testing....unfamiliar song....too early etc'. It's not surprising then if they question some examples where the 'set in stone' rules appear slightly less 'set in stone'. Just ask Cover Drive :)
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, funnily enough since everyone was talking about the choice of music; got an email inviting me to take a survey from them earlier today.

http://musicsurvey.p1-online.com/s3/londonmusic0415db

Interestingly it asks for each (London) station you listen to whether you think it has too much repetition :)

The music survey had much of the usual Heart fare, but with a few (to my ears) lesser played tracks including

Uncle Kraker - Follow Me
    David Gray - Babylon
    Blondie - The Tide Is High
    Travis - Sing
    Daft Punk - One More Time
    Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
    Diana King - Shy Guy
    Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
    Coldplay - Trouble
    Taylor Swift - We Are Never Getting Back Together
    Estelle - American Boy
    Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    A HP Sauce binge.

Typical. Lose a constructive argument and you descend into puerile humour which a bright ten year old would find immature.

Can we have some intelligent posts and posters on here, please.