Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    You could of course go much further by living in a tent, foraging for berries and scavenging for road kill. You would save a pot of money, but where do you draw the line? :)

What is the point in paying for 1GB of data if you do not use it? not that I am paying for one GB, I am paying for 720 or something like that. It is not about the money to be honest, just that I use very few features on the phone.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    That is what they said it would be, back when there was "fanfare". They haven't disappointed or deluded anyone, when they provided what was promised.

The attraction is that people with Windows programming knowledge can try some "embedded" stuff with minimal retraining

e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/windows_10_raspberry_pi_2_eben_upton_interview/

“What we’re talking about here is Windows 10 for IoT [Internet of Things]; there hasn’t been a statement about capabilities,” Upton explains. “We’re not necessarily talking about PowerPoint or the Windows desktop. Microsoft will make a statement on what exact capabilities they plan to bring to the device fairly soon.”

I agree but the original popular press releases implied it would run Windows 10. I was aware of IOT of course (should have made thst clear I guess), but I am willing to bet majority of the public are not aware.
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You just paste a URL, and it works.
    To add a Favorite, hit the star?

What were you using before? Most browsers work the same way :confused:

IE remembers typed URLs and keeps your normally visited places right their in the address bar without all that favourites messing about. More importantly I know where in the registry those Typed URLs are stored and so can add, delete, transfer the whole set at will. There is not such registry place for that in Edge (Not one I have found or has been posted on the internet.)

Plus: In IE you can set opening a new tab to your home page. You can't do that in Edge and have to put up with either a blank page or a list of Top Sites.

So there are certain things that I need and use regularly in IE that Edge just doesn't do.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    In IE you can set opening a new tab to your home page. You can't do that in Edge and have to put up with either a blank page or a list of Top Sites.

So there are certain things that I need and use regularly in IE that Edge just doesn't do.

I despise Edge and think it's utter trash released in its current state (without extensibility), but also believe in being correct over simply venting and spouting incorrect claims.

What you claim you can't do in Edge you can indeed do. I'm staring right this second at the settings page for Edge that says

Open with:

Start Page
    New Tab Page
    Previous Pages
    A Specific Page or Pages.

It wasn't even that hard to find. It's the third setting down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Tesco are selling 8.1 PRO upgrades for £14 at the moment.

Can't verify this myself, but if true, this gives a cheap route to 10 PRO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After upgrading to Windows 10, my Dell XPS 15 (i7, 8GB RAM) has become extremely slow, often to the point of being completely unusable. With Windows 8.1, it used to boot in under 20 seconds then, after I logged in, I could use everything instantly and programs opened in the blink of an eye.

Not so much now. It takes over a minute to boot, then when I've logged in I have to just leave it alone for at least two minutes before I can do anything. Even then, everything is really sluggish. I click the Start button and it takes five seconds for the menu to appear. Same with the Action Centre. It took 30 seconds for Chrome to start up. Typing anything into Search./Cortana is simply impossible.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this has happened, and I just hope an update will eventually improve things. I visited my in-laws the other day and it was running much better on their vastly lower specced laptop.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    After upgrading to Windows 10, my Dell XPS 15 (i7, 8GB RAM) has become extremely slow, often to the point of being completely unusable. With Windows 8.1, it used to boot in under 20 seconds then, after I logged in, I could use everything instantly and programs opened in the blink of an eye.

Not so much now. It takes over a minute to boot, then when I've logged in I have to just leave it alone for at least two minutes before I can do anything. Even then, everything is really sluggish. I click the Start button and it takes five seconds for the menu to appear. Same with the Action Centre. It took 30 seconds for Chrome to start up. Typing anything into Search./Cortana is simply impossible.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this has happened, and I just hope an update will eventually improve things. I visited my in-laws the other day and it was running much better on their vastly lower specced laptop.
    Check your hard drive space. Make sure the upgrade process didn't eat up all of your HD room. Even the fastest computer could run like rubbish with a full hard drive.

Let's see what else...

Do a full spyware scan. You should have really done this before your upgrade (I'm only ASSUMING you may not have), but it's a good idea now.

Check Device Manager to see if anything major was incorrectly detected.

Oh... run the System File Check command line tool: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93
  • Options
    Bigga-BETABigga-BETA Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Might be a daft question but...

Will upgrading from WIN 7 or 8.1 to 10 slow down my computer? does it take more to power?

Thanks
  • Options
    wackywwackyw Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect there are too many "me me me me.." programs trying to get in their check for updates and such.
    Download and install CCleaner.
    Under tools there is one called "Startup" - you can disable ( don't delete ) things in here, and re-enable if you need to. I've gone quite aggressive in here, anything that looks like it shouldn't need to start immediately. Might help you work out the culprits and what to do. I've changed my google chrome updates to daily rather than "upon user logon".
    Have a look at least.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Assuming you have given it a day or two to settle down, that isn't right,

If possible, you could do a refresh (clean install) from within Windows 10' as long as you have a backup of all your data and can reinstall software. It would clear all the Dell crap off the PC.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got windows 10 yesterday. Under vista it took about 5mins to properly load up. Under win10 it was less than a minute. Might need more memory though. Did have 4gb but now only 2gb due to one my sticks being faulty. 1 8gb stick about £30. Not sure how much would be best?
    My system isn't top end but OK for now.
    Intel core 2 quad q6600 2.40ghz
    Nvidia geforce 8800 gts 512
    300gb H/D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Got windows 10 yesterday. Under vista it took about 5mins to properly load up. Under win10 it was less than a minute. Might need more memory though. Did have 4gb but now only 2gb due to one my sticks being faulty. 1 8gb stick about £30. Not sure how much would be best?
    300gb H/D

If your install is 32bit, you can only use a maximum of 4GB.

If 64bit, no limit but for most users 8GB is a good amount.

If you are not sure, look at system in control panel.

One question though - I assume you have had to pay for your windows 10 licence, as the free upgrade did not apply to Vista?

If you installed it without a new licence, it will not avtivatr and you can only use it for 30 days.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member

My Dell XPS 15 (9530) is running perfectly but the boot times on my Samsung have quadrupled (no malware, plenty HDD space etc) however once booted up it works fine. On the W10 forums and elsewhere it seems to be a common problem as does sleep/resume as in taking an age to come out the sleep state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    If your install is 32bit, you can only use a maximum of 4GB.

If 64bit, no limit but for most users 8GB is a good amount.

If you are not sure, look at system in control panel.

One question though - I assume you have had to pay for your windows 10 licence, as the free upgrade did not apply to Vista?

If you installed it without a new licence, it will not avtivatr and you can only use it for 30 days.

It's already been activated. It booted up in 30 secs which was quicker than I thought. So 8gb should be OK? I read about some having 16gb and more because they believe it runs faster especially games but if games don't support that much then why get it?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Tesco are selling 8.1 PRO upgrades for £14 at the moment.

Can't verify this myself, but if true, this gives a cheap route to 10 PRO.
    If from that HOTUK discount site, it means one store, maybe two in the whole of the UK still had one left which got discounted.

And in the unlikely event it was wider, they will be long gone. Maybe MS will discount a digital copy to £25 again by the end of the 12 months. They even offered W8 on DVD fr £25 so it is highly possible.
    Though upgrading W7 on a PC or laptop is a little stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already been activated. It booted up in 30 secs which was quicker than I thought. So 8gb should be OK? I read about some having 16gb and more because they believe it runs faster especially games but if games don't support that much then why get it?

GPU power is what normally makes games run faster, not memory. More memory is good, but I doubt if anything over 4GB is going to make a huge difference for games.
    Some people will stick a load of memory in because it sounds good, some does so because they do need it.
    If your Os is 32 bit, it will not handle 16GB, 4GB and that is it and that includes anything will video card have on.,
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like noise747 says, some just add a load of memory because it sounds good, or, just so they can brag. I would only double my computer's memory if it often used up about half of it. Some games recommend 16GBs for 64-bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Like noise747 says, some just add a load of memory because it sounds good, or, just so they can brag. I would only double my computer's memory if it often used up about half of it. Some games recommend 16GBs for 64-bit.

I now have 4gb ram again. Stick I thought was faulty was just not in the slot properly so no point getting more. Gonna upgrade PC at some point anyway. I got win10 64bit BTW.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    300gb H/D

Some might think otherwise and that it can also double up as a heater in a small room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

A mate of mine have 16GB and is a gamer, but before he he updated to 16 he had 8 and a lot of his games said they recommend 16, but having 16 have made no difference to when he had 8.

I have 8GB and that is fine, I was going to update, but I did not see the point, it will make little difference to video editing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes use some of my memory as an old fashoned ram disk - useful sometimrs when pratting around with temporary files etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    I despise Edge and think it's utter trash released in its current state (without extensibility), but also believe in being correct over simply venting and spouting incorrect claims.

What you claim you can't do in Edge you can indeed do. I'm staring right this second at the settings page for Edge that says

Open with:

Start Page
    New Tab Page
    Previous Pages

OPEN WITH - YES!
    OPEN A NEW TAB PAGE WITH YOUR HOME PAGE - NO!

I clearly stated when opening a new tab the only options you have are a blank page or a list of top sites, no opening up your homepage in a new tab.

Look under the setting: "Open New Tabs With"

As Google is my homepage, when I think of something that needs a separate Google search, I just open a new tab, up pops my Google home page and I Google away. You can't set Edge up like that as you can in IE and every other browser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes use some of my memory as an old fashoned ram disk - useful sometimrs when pratting around with temporary files etc.

Also a must if like me you have an encrypted Truecrypt drive that needs to be mounted as a ram disk or else it's just 1TB of random data, Officer!

:D
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OPEN WITH - YES!
    OPEN A NEW TAB PAGE WITH YOUR HOME PAGE - NO!

I clearly stated when opening a new tab the only options you have are a blank page or a list of top sites, no opening up your homepage in a new tab.

Look under the setting: "Open New Tabs With"

As Google is my homepage, when I think of something that needs a separate Google search, I just open a new tab, up pops my Google home page and I Google away. You can't set Edge up like that as you can in IE and every other browser.

The blank page option features a search bar that defaults to your favourite browser, although I'm not sure whether it pulls its autocomplete options from Google or Bing. (Not that I use Edge!) Since most browsers allow you to search directly from the address bar using your favourite search provider (including autocomplete options) it can be quicker to have new tabs open on a blank page. This means that the browser doesn't have to request the Google home page each time you open a new tab. And since the address bar is already active when you open a tab there's no need to move the cursor - you can just start typing. :) ..Although most people I know insist on hitting the backspace button first to clear the highlighted text. :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »

Open with:

Start Page
    New Tab Page
    Previous Pages

Opening a new tab in Edge won't go to a site that I've typed in in the settings. I've just tried. If that's what's being said.