Options

Neighbours- Arrivals & Departures 2015

Comments

• Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    She is more or less going to be hooked up with Ben for now, so she could be Bi. I guess it depends if they cast a female love interest,

Agree it seems so strange to do this, its like Paul u never saw all his kids at once. I always thought once Paige left then Ned may come in, to annoy Terese like Paige lol. I assume Beth wil be cast soon just to give Brad more headache lol.[/QUOTE

I don't think Beth will return.

If they ever recast Beth I would stop watching. The original Lauren was a minor character played by a crap actress and Scott Michealson was, well, dreadful, but I don't think you could really recast a character played by Natalie Imbruglia, and I somehow doubt she is up for a return.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »

If they ever recast Beth I would stop watching. The original Lauren was a minor character played by a crap actress and Scott Michealson was, well, dreadful, but I don't think you could really recast a character played by Natalie Imbruglia, and I somehow doubt she is up for a return.

I agree but I really don't think Beth will ever return.
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Soaps will do anything for drama. If they feel the need to bring her back they will as long as Nat is ok with it.
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member

I agree but I really don't think Beth will ever return.

Soaps will do anything for drama. If they feel the need to bring her back they will as long as Nat is ok with it.

Natalie Imbruglia doesn't seem to view Neighbours in the most positive light, the chances of her returning are highly unlikely, particularly as she is based in the UK and she also tends to only refer to it as a launchpad to her career. I doubt she would have any issue with Beth being recast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    Natalie Imbruglia doesn't seem to view Neighbours in the most positive light, the chances of her returning are highly unlikely, particularly as she is based in the UK and she also tends to only refer to it as a launchpad to her career. I doubt she would have any issue with Beth being recast.

This is annoys me - if it was not for Neighbours she would not have a musical career not that she has had one for a number of years now.

Margot Robbie is now in Hollywood and is worth 8 million dollars but still holds Neighbours in her affections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is annoys me - if it was not for Neighbours she would not have a musical career not that she has had one for a number of years now.

Margot Robbie is now in Hollywood and is worth 8 million dollars but still holds Neighbours in her affections.

The issue with Imbruglia is that she has such a high opinion of herself that it just makes her seem arrogant, Margot Robbie knows that Neighbours really helped her and she enjoyed working on the show, however Imbruglia didnt enjoy it that much by some accounts and when it is brought up in interviews she just uses short answers and looks for distraction. The same thing annoys me with Jason Donovan, he was very reluctant to do the documentary and has often said he has no want to return to the show even though Kylie seems more open to a one off return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How did you manage to ascribe my user name to quote two posts made by someone else???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Constantly just recasting characters makes a mockery of the show imo. It would be utterly ridiculous if you had scenes with Lauren, Brad AND an new Beth together. A real insult to long term fans of the show. And then imagine say, a recast Libby added to the mix. They shouldn't be pandering to the lowest common denominator all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did you manage to ascribe my user name to quote two posts made by someone else???

I have seen my error, the quote section on that comment was seemingly coming up as a double quote and i removed one, which was obviously vaslav37's quote, sorry about that :blush:.

Just realised the full error that i made there with Spiderman as well, really i should look over things properly and not make a complete mess up of it.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Constantly just recasting characters makes a mockery of the show imo. It would be utterly ridiculous if you had scenes with Lauren, Brad AND an new Beth together. A real insult to long term fans of the show. And then imagine say, a recast Libby added to the mix. They shouldn't be pandering to the lowest common denominator all the time.

I didn't have a problem with the recasts of Brad and Lauren because they last appeared on screen so long ago. They were bound to look completely different now anyway considering 20 years have gone by so the fact the actors are different barely even matters. However it's different with Beth because the actress is so well known and recognised that it would feel like a different character if she was recast.
  • Options
    samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have a problem with the recasts of Brad and Lauren because they last appeared on screen so long ago. They were bound to look completely different now anyway considering 20 years have gone by so the fact the actors are different barely even matters. However it's different with Beth because the actress is so well known and recognised that it would feel like a different character if she was recast.

I agree. I think they did ask Scott to return but he declined and he was recast, as was Lauren. Natalie Imbruglia's Beth was very popular and she is closely identified with the role. Since she would not return in any capacity, I think that is why they created the role of Terese for Rebekah. Though I would like to knw the whole story between Brad and Beth's breakup.
    I believe that if Ned is cast, it would be have to be like Daniel and Charlene. I don't think that Beth will appear, but only mentioned.

BTW, Amy and Jimmy are now in the opening. However, Aaron and Ben still are not. I wonder if when they will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    I agree. I think they did ask Scott to return but he declined and he was recast, as was Lauren. Natalie Imbruglia's Beth was very popular and she is closely identified with the role. Since she would not return in any capacity, I think that is why they created the role of Terese for Rebekah. Though I would like to knw the whole story between Brad and Beth's breakup.
    I believe that if Ned is cast, it would be have to be like Daniel and Charlene. I don't think that Beth will appear, but only mentioned.

BTW, Amy and Jimmy are now in the opening. However, Aaron and Ben still are not. I wonder if when they will be.

Aaron and Ben are both regulars- odd, maybe they are waiting for Piper, Steph & Ned to arrive.
  • Options
    DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that Saskia Hampele's return was a quick one before she went for good, but a friend did the Neighbours set tour last week and met her.
  • Options
    becksy1892becksy1892 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    DC1983 wrote: »
    I thought that Saskia Hampele's return was a quick one before she went for good, but a friend did the Neighbours set tour last week and met her.

I thought this as well...was that one conversation with Kyle it??? Marriage over in one 10 minute chat???
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC1983 wrote: »

Maybe she's returning again in time for Kyle's exit so they can reunite and leave together. I'm sure the actress who plays Amber revealed her contract was up in October and she would be filming her final scenes then. She hinted that the guy playing Kyle (her real life boyfriend) would be leaving with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she's returning again in time for Kyle's exit so they can reunite and leave together. I'm sure the actress who plays Amber revealed her contract was up in October and she would be filming her final scenes then. She hinted that the guy playing Kyle (her real life boyfriend) would be leaving with her.

This is true.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Really? When was the last time she discussed the show? One of her most recent interviews didn't mention Neighbours at all. I get the feeling she's crazy busy and has a good idea of where she wants to go career wise. I can understand if she didn't want to return, especially if she feels like it could be viewed as a step backwards.

Beth is not needed right now anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen my error, the quote section on that comment was seemingly coming up as a double quote and i removed one, which was obviously vaslav37's quote, sorry about that :blush:.

Just realised the full error that i made there with Spiderman as well, really i should look over things properly and not make a complete mess up of it.

You've also ascribed my post to Vaslav! :D
    Not having a go, just never seen such a mix up of quotes and users before! :D
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Would long term viewers really have such a problem with a Beth recast? I think that while there are some characters that are too iconic to be recast - Scott, Charlene, Harold, Lou, Toadie, Paul and any member of the Kennedys - I don't really think that Beth is in that category. She first appeared over 20 years ago and with Natalie Imbruglia based in the UK, she's highly likely to return. I think most people wouldn't mind a recast, especially if it helped the storyline.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Would long term viewers really have such a problem with a Beth recast? I think that while there are some characters that are too iconic to be recast - Scott, Charlene, Harold, Lou, Toadie, Paul and any member of the Kennedys - I don't really think that Beth is in that category. She first appeared over 20 years ago and with Natalie Imbruglia based in the UK, she's highly likely to return. I think most people wouldn't mind a recast, especially if it helped the storyline.
    I think Beth is seen as being iconic simply b/c of Natalie Imbruglia's fame; she's become synonymous with the character. Would their still be an attachment to NI playing the role if she hadn't become famous after leaving the show?

I know original actors create familiarity and everything, but after a 20 years absence, would it really be that big of a deal if Beth was recast? Ideally, I'd love for NI to reprise her role, but if she didn't want to then I'd welcome a recast who looked similar to NI. I wouldn't want Beth to suddenly be blonde or a red haired for example, like how Brad looks nothing like Original Brad, as that kind of casting can really take something away from the character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes. I realise I am just one person though so could only speak for myself. Boread is so far removed from Scott Michealson it may as well be a different character. So what's the point recasting Beth. Natalie Imbruglia is such a striking looking individual it would be near impossible imo to find anyone like her to take over the role, so why bother. And as I said in another post, do you not think it would be ridiculous to have NuBrad, NuLauren and NuBeth in scenes together. It goes beyond parody!
    This where British soaps get it right, as they generally try and avoid recasts if they can, obviously with exceptions (EE tends to do it a bit). For me it would be like Carol living on Albert Square and (before their returns) Bianca, Robbie and Sonia all returning with different heads. It would be awful. I dislike the Martin recast he may as well be a different character too as he seemingly bears no relation to James Alexandrou.
  • Options
    Lauren_WeezleyLauren_Weezley Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I remember about Declan Napier recast. I really like James Sorensen (original Declan) but I dislike Erin Mullally (Weirdo hair Declan), he's nothing like Declan Napier's personality. Also recast Martin Fowler never work because i never seen why Eastenders start to ship Martin with Stacey, they meet before in 2005-6 or something.

Anyway Jason Donovan is better for play as Scott Robinson than Darius Perkins. Also Jacqueline Jossa (Lauren Branning) is a great actress and Ben Hardy (Peter Beale) as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth is never going to return to the show so that's that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember about Declan Napier recast. I really like James Sorensen (original Declan) but I dislike Erin Mullally (Weirdo hair Declan), he's nothing like Declan Napier's personality. Also recast Martin Fowler never work because i never seen why Eastenders start to ship Martin with Stacey, they meet before in 2005-6 or something.

Anyway Jason Donovan is better for play as Scott Robinson than Darius Perkins. Also Jacqueline Jossa (Lauren Branning) is a great actress and Ben Hardy (Peter Beale) as well.

I quite liked Darius Perkins as Scott! But yes the second Declan was terrible. James Sorensen shouldn't have been recast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been confirmed by Neighbours Spoilers on twitter- the character of Ned Willis is not joining Neighbours.