TV shows that spoil the ending at the start of the show!

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
This is becoming ridiculous now, the BBC are top culprits.

Ive tuned in to watch Bake Off, we are all fans. However what i do not want to see at the start of the show for 2 minutes is a montage of the best bits and disasters before i actually watch the show!

Can nothing be a surprise anymore?

Channel 4 is just as bad, for my sins watching Selling Houses with Amanda Lamb. Basically she gives people £1000 to paint over old decoration. However, in the opening 5 minutes we see the finished results, then have to watch an hour of how to get there. The whole show is ruined.

The apprentice usually ruins the boardroom scene by giving it away at the start, and ruins the next weeks show too!

Shows that also "preview" the next weeks show by showing the "best bits" are equally bad.

Is it just me?

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch very little live tv, so often skip past the opening segments where the presenter or VO tells us most of what I am about to watch.
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Gorman's first new show of Modern Life is Goodish lambasted the loss of surprise on TV.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    This is becoming ridiculous now, the BBC are top culprits.

Ive tuned in to watch Bake Off, we are all fans. However what i do not want to see at the start of the show for 2 minutes is a montage of the best bits and disasters before i actually watch the show!

Can nothing be a surprise anymore?

Channel 4 is just as bad, for my sins watching Selling Houses with Amanda Lamb. Basically she gives people £1000 to paint over old decoration. However, in the opening 5 minutes we see the finished results, then have to watch an hour of how to get there. The whole show is ruined.

The apprentice usually ruins the boardroom scene by giving it away at the start, and ruins the next weeks show too!

Shows that also "preview" the next weeks show by showing the "best bits" are equally bad.

Is it just me?
    Quite possibly. I can't speak for every show you may watch that does this, but generally speaking they hardly give away the ending, just give you a taster of what's to come. The 'excitement' (not that it's usually that exciting) is in seeing how the 'contestant' - baker, house, whatever - got to that stage, or what was the disaster that reduced someone to tears. It's not as if these shows are whodunnits, with a twist ending. You say '...in the opening 5 minutes we see the finished results then have to watch an hour of how to get there', but that's precisely the point of the show. There's not (necessarily) meant to be a big reveal in the last five minutes. It's about the sixty minutes as a whole. In BO, it's about who was the best and worse baker overall. In SH, the point is whether or not they do indeed sell, not specifically how they do their house up.

I bet you're great fun in the cinema ! :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thiunk you would have to watch the opening part of Bake Off very closely to know how the episode is going to end and quite likely might jumping to the wrong conclusion.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In shows like the apprentice the opening montage can spoil things a lot.
    Say someone in the clip is in a beauty spa giving treatments. if that week's task is about making sandwiches, you know that everyone in the clip is safe from being fired
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thiunk you would have to watch the opening part of Bake Off very closely to know how the episode is going to end and quite likely might jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Not really, you get to see the completed bakes before they bake them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    In SH, the point is whether or not they do indeed sell, not specifically how they do their house up.

If that we true in "Selling houses", it would be the worst show ever - as none of the buyers lined up have ever purchased a house Amanda showed them.

In fact, when they are showed around the completed house, they often comment on how god awful the decorating is that she has made the vendors have done! Its cringe-worthy great TV.

But its a decorating show not Columbo, with a before and after. I don't wish to see the after, before.

With watching the highlights and the reveal at the start of a show, its never made me stick around - it does the opposite. I have to either fast forward them, mute the tv or hide the ipad for the first 5 minutes!
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...But its a decorating show not Columbo, with a before and after. I don't wish to see the after, before. !

:D Have to smile at that comparison - Columbo always spoiled the end as it showed you the perpetrator committing the crime! The only mystery was how Columbo would trip them up.

I suppose program makers do have a dilemma - they need to hook viewers in, but keep some mystery. I don't watch bake-off but the Apprentice certainly does self-spoiler a lot in the early episodes.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    :D Have to smile at that comparison - Columbo always spoiled the end as it showed you the perpetrator committing the crime! The only mystery was how Columbo would trip them up.
    I think Columbo often gave away 'whodunnit' in the opening credits. Outside of Peter Falk and the main cast, whoever the big name star was that week was almost always the murderer. If he/ she also played a character who was referenced in the title - maybe a tennis coach in 'Game, Set & Match', or a politician in 'Candidate for Crime' etc - then there's your killer right there ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I suppose program makers do have a dilemma - they need to hook viewers in, but keep some mystery. I don't watch bake-off but the Apprentice certainly does self-spoiler a lot in the early episodes.

But do they need to hook viewers in?

If you are tuning in to bake off in episode 7 or an episode of apprentice, you know what you are going to get.

How many times have you settled down to watch the apprentice and decided "i dont really want to watch this", and would a 5 minute spoiler - enough where you see the WINNING TEAM in a Jacuzzi, change your mind?

This poor method of "hooking views" i'm sure alienates and annoys more regular viewers, and it simply doesnt work.

Its like someone watching F1, where they show all the overtaking maneuvers in the first 5 minutes and you know who wins without watching the 3 hour race!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, you get to see the completed bakes before they bake them!

That has never spoilt it for me.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sums it up perfectly:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bachelor and Bachelorette are terrible for it, they show a long montage at the end for the following weeks episode. Big Brother does a lot of 'coming up', I try to fast forward them!
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

Brilliant!
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    The Chase- if Shaun is the chaser, we know that the team are going to win!
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    List shows are guilty of this. For instance the one about ITV theme tunes on wednesday. They showed a lot upfront. So for instance you knew the likes of Thunderbirds, Avengers and Minder would be featured. So when it came to the top 5 you knew Thunderbirds and Avengers were still to feature. Without these opening clips it would have been a surprise.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my pet peeves too. I started to pause it so I can fast forward it or change channel until it's done spoiling the show.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bake Off editing is usually quite obvious who is going to end up top and bottom each week, those in the middle get very little edit.

The Apprentice kinda has to do it to promote the series but yeah in those intros if it shows a contestant in a apron working in a kitchen at some point in the series and that episodes task is building a website and marketing plan then yep you know that contestant makes it through the week.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Quite possibly. I can't speak for every show you may watch that does this, but generally speaking they hardly give away the ending, just give you a taster of what's to come. The 'excitement' (not that it's usually that exciting) is in seeing how the 'contestant' - baker, house, whatever - got to that stage, or what was the disaster that reduced someone to tears. It's not as if these shows are whodunnits, with a twist ending. You say '...in the opening 5 minutes we see the finished results then have to watch an hour of how to get there', but that's precisely the point of the show. There's not (necessarily) meant to be a big reveal in the last five minutes. It's about the sixty minutes as a whole. In BO, it's about who was the best and worse baker overall. In SH, the point is whether or not they do indeed sell, not specifically how they do their house up.

I bet you're great fun in the cinema ! :D

I'm with the OP, but what has the sarcastic comment about the OP being fun in the cinema got to do with it?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Chase- if Shaun is the chaser, we know that the team are going to win!
    :D
    I don't watch it much, one or two here and there and some of the celeb specials but upto now i've never seen him win.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dan100 wrote: »
    Dave Gorman's first new show of Modern Life is Goodish lambasted the loss of surprise on TV.
    I was going to mention that myself :D

I don't watch reality shows too often but do watch Great British Menu and in the pre-credit highlights they may show the guest judge giving a score of 10.

Now they don't show who they've given it to but by the way things pan out in the cooking and comments you pretty much know who it's going to be.

A classic though that I remember is Freddie Flintoff searching for Killer Whales.
    There's a montage of the team on boats and such and at the end just before the titles the voice over says "So will Freddie get his wish of sailing along side the Killer Whales?" only for the next shot to be of the boat with a Killer Whale along side it :D

Well, there's your answer. Any point in watching?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The News, they always show what's coming up. Although its been the same plotline for the past several weeks.