Options

Some crap things we had in our houses

calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
Forum Member
✭✭
know most of you wont remember any of these things, that were around in the late sixties, but come on Round TVs on a swivel type stand, fridges that had wood effect on outside. sideboards the longer the better, called Long John sideboards. and the craziest wallpaper that went with nothing else in our homes , what were we all thinking of back then.

Comments

• Options
    shuddershudder Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogrammes

my grandparents had a choice of a tv or a radiogramme

they chose the latter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shudder wrote: »
    Radiogrammes

they chose the latter!
    didnt have a telly until I was about 12, it was always the gramophone with old records or wireless, my auntis radiogram or gramophone got used for the Clabber in the street for the Queens Coronation.. all out dancing in the street and not a drink in site.. aye those were the days.:p:p:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were those things called that you melted cheese in and put in the middle of the table and dipped? Those, anyway. Oh, Pressure Cookers. Doilies. Those horrid bathroom carpet sets - the one round the loo for soaking up stray urine, and a couple of matching ones for sink and bath. Yuk.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    hi-fi stack systems. i remember my dad bringing one home in the early eighties, chuffed to bits because it played a new fangled thing called "compact discs" (the full words had to be used, none of this CD malarkey) we only had three or four "compact discs" and we used to listen to them over and over.

soda streams - as shit as they sound

we also used to have, a tall wooden effect ashtray that was considered high end furniture in the late seventies. i used to hate having to touch it because it made your hands smell. it was a bit like this

http://www.abccigar.com/images/Floorstandashtray.jpg
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shudder wrote: »
    Radiogrammes

they chose the latter!

Omigod - my first thought when I saw the OP - we had one very like this
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    DeadJoe wrote: »
    What were those things called that you melted cheese in and put in the middle of the table and dipped? Those, anyway. Oh, Pressure Cookers. Doilies. Those horrid bathroom carpet sets - the one round the loo for soaking up stray urine, and a couple of matching ones for sink and bath. Yuk.

Fondu sets. Oy I love my pressure cooker and can make casseroles and mince in 20 minutes!

I was going to say Continental headboards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeadJoe wrote: »

A fondue set
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hell that was modern compared to ours :p:pmy auntie had a Dining room suite, big table, four chairs and an ugly big sideboard with a drop down cocktail cabinet, just waste of space as it never got used, who came up with these designs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fondu sets. Oy I love my pressure cooker and can make casseroles and mince in 20 minutes!

I was going to say Continental headboards.
    wasnt complete without a candlewick bedspread. with big flowers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fondue - nightmare! Apologies for putting Pressure Cooker. I quite like them, I temporarily forgot that it was supposed to be crap things.

Polythene fake flowers. Lampshades made out of identical bits of plastic held together with rubber bands.
  • Options
    batcountrybatcountry Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I remember my mum bought a raptou(?) in the eighties. It was a plastic object that peeled sliced diced grated and the like. Obviously it went in the cupboard under the sink never tobe seen again :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    know most of you wont remember any of these things, that were around in the late sixties, but come on Round TVs on a swivel type stand, fridges that had wood effect on outside. sideboards the longer the better, called Long John sideboards. and the craziest wallpaper that went with nothing else in our homes , what were we all thinking of back then.

We bought our first house in 1969 - we could choose the colour emulsion to have as it was a new-build.

We chose white in the lounge, bright orange in the kitchen, lime green in the cloakroom, white in the main bedroom, and yellow and torquoise in the other two. I wonder what the present owners think when they take off the wallpaper to decorate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omigod - my first thought when I saw the OP - we had one very like this

Ahhh memories - furniture you could set out to sea in :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will have you all going mad with jealousy hahahah http://www.retrotogo.com/2006/12/ebay_watch_boat.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone owned a rubber plant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batcountry wrote: »
    I remember my mum bought a raptou(?) in the eighties. It was a plastic object that peeled sliced diced grated and the like. Obviously it went in the cupboard under the sink never tobe seen again :rolleyes:

SINK? We couldn't afford a sink. We had to wash our dishes in old bath water that my 8 brothers and I used earlier in the week, for our monthly bath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lawrenma2 wrote: »
    SINK? We couldn't afford a sink. We had to wash our dishes in old bath water that my 8 brothers and I used earlier in the week, for our monthly bath.

:p:p:pI thought I was a toff with my twin tub washing machine. a Servis was the make..http://www.global-b2b-network.com/b2b/93/456/81410/twin_tub_washing_machine.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bath! Bath! - Luxury - me and my 26 siblings had to wash in an old puddle full of broken glass, once a year and then our dad killed us before we had to go down pit for 26 hours a day!

Pah - youngsters don't know their born!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.notempire.com/images/uploads/Picture_6-57.jpg

This was our sink:cool:
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asbestos and lead pipes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wall lights everyone had them, and remember the teak table lamps with orange shades and you could adjust the brightness of the bulb.. some came attached to a small tacky table hahaha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and Lava Lamps :p