Options

It is now obligatory to put your gender on DS.

RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
Forum Member
Earlier tonight I tried to update my profile and as I clicked 'save changes' a message came up saying 'A required field called Gender is missing or has an invalid value'.

I thought something maybe wasn't working right so contacted Forum Support who confirmed that it is now obligatory to fill in this field.

Not sure why they've done this, as I could easily lie and put opposite to what I am, but I don't like being forced to put something there anyway.

I assume people who have no gender on show haven't updated their profile since it became mandatory.

Does anyone else object to not having a choice?

Comments

• Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have anything there I dont think....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<No, nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    I dont have anything there I dont think....

But have you tried changing anything on your profile today?

Yesterday I never had to show anything, today it won't allow me to edit without showing a gender.

I think once you try, you will have to enter something.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they tell you why it was obligatory?
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask what your objection is? Or do you just naturally resist being forced to do anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

They probably want to feed back stats to advertisers or something like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But have you tried changing anything on your profile today?

Yesterday I never had to show anything, today it won't allow me to edit without showing a gender.

I think once you try, you will have to enter something.

No, I rarely change my profile. It wouldnt bother me to have my gender on there anyway....
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't know but this is the reply I got -

Hi,

The Gender field is now required.

Thanks for your message.
    DS Support
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Can I ask what your objection is? Or do you just naturally resist being forced to do anything?

I just don't think it's necessary - unless you want to reveal which gender you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its probably a reaction to the recent Transexual threads. Maybe Tom had an unfortunate experience via PM?

(Dont ban me, Tom)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know but this is the reply I got -

Hi,

The Gender field is now required.

Thanks for your message.
    DS Support

I don't like that. I'm not bothered that people know I'm male, but I know that a lot of people don't like to say for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't think it's necessary - unless you want to reveal which gender you are.

Fair enough... but as I said it probably helps DS to have a break down on sex for their advertisers so there is a point to it.

And who's Tom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't like that. I'm not bothered that people know I'm male, but I know that a lot of people don't like to say for whatever reason.

Me too.

I'm not on any big 'I won't post again if I have to reveal it' type of quest.

But I just don't think it is necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough... but as I said it probably helps DS to have a break down on sex for their advertisers so there is a point to it.

And who's Tom?

Tom Miller is our friendly Forum Support man!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Have they got the options 'hermaphrodite, asexual or c*nt' in there.

Then it may be a realistic option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh, didn't know that.

I mean it does bring up a good point... maybe Tom can enlighten us... but what benefit is the forum to DS. It's probably a right nightmare to moderate and try and keep us crowd of crazies inline.. not to mention the trolls and scammers... it probably doesn't make much in terms of actual revenue... so I wonder why they bother...? If they scrapped it they wouldn't have to pay mods and put up with the potential legal hassles it causes.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My name kinda gives my gender away :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I first joined DS, I don't think I revealed I was a 'laydee' for a couple of years. I mistakenly thought my posts wouldn't be taken as seriously or as valid as those of the guys. When I found I was wrong, I opened up a bit.

But I can understand why some people would want to remain relatively anonymous or incognito, for various reasons.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lied .............................. or DID I? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha hippie dude has a good point... nobody has any real clue what sex you are anyway... i could be a mad 70 year old cat lady
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    When I first joined DS, I don't think I revealed I was a 'laydee' for a couple of years. I mistakenly thought my posts wouldn't be taken as seriously or as valid as those of the guys. When I found I was wrong, I opened up a bit.

But I can understand why some people would want to remain relatively anonymous or incognito, for various reasons.

... I like to know...I like to practice my insulting name calling on the guys ... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haha hippie dude has a good point... nobody has any real clue what sex you are anyway... i could be a mad 70 year old cat lady

That's what I meant, I could lie and who would know? It's just silly making you put one or the other, I've a good mind to put opposite to what I am just to be awkward!
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It seems odd that they would make the gender field mandatory but not that for your location or indeed anything else. Do you really need to know other posters genders 99% of the time anyway?
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bollocks!
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    That's what I meant, I could lie and who would know? It's just silly making you put one or the other, I've a good mind to put opposite to what I am just to be awkward!

Good idea. :D
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the options? I hope it gives a N/A field, not everyone wishes to announce their gender as they wish to return anonymously, alternatively, some may be going through transgender realignment or having 'identity issues'.