Options

Replacing my GeForce 9800 GT

2»

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    all my advice is already here. The 6850 is top of the line and uses about the same power as your current card. Or the 5670 is still a good bit faster than your current card and pretty cheap only uses 72W.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to say I appreciate alll the advice.
    I do think I need a lower wattage than my current card, as the setup I have should run perfect if it is new, but doesn't take into account the fact that the PSU is now 4 years old and likely isn't supplying as much power as it used to. I will be shopping round based on that. My final query is does a card being dual slot compared to my single slot make much difference, and can you think of any reason I should avoid a dual slot PCI Express card?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the dual slot makes no odds. They're all dual slot these days. It is only actually one slot it uses some of the space from the next one. Your current card is probably the same.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My new GTX570 is a triple slot, it's huge.

As long as you don't have other cards in there there should be enough room. I only have a sound card.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Brigon wrote: »
    ...and can you think of any reason I should avoid a dual slot PCI Express card?

It's worth pointing out that you should ALWAYS have a look at the overall dimensions of a new gfx card to ensure it won't foul on your PSU, HDD, DVD, CPU cooling fan etc.

Easiest way to check is physically hold your current card inside your case (without actually plugging it in) and move it into position then move it one slot in either direction (cos I don't know which way around your mobo is) and see if it bumps against anything.

I thought the GeForce 9800 was a double-slot, full-length card though?
    That being the case, almost every modern equivalent card is likely to be smaller these days.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

Amazon have one for £75. Although a newer model may be cheaper and more efficient power wise, the 9800 is way down the list at Toms Hardware.

How much do you want to spend?

The gimped version if that is ddr2, the description states both, I don't remember if there was a ddr2 version anyways.

With nvidia cards you always have to be careful you aren't getting the nerfed version of a card. Then with newer lines sometimes the lower end is renamed older cards again, the 9800gt was eventually renamed twice further...it is a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    You would be far better of getting a gtx460 here. Or something a bit modern. I would not invest into older card when you have newer options for little more.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-evga-gtx-460-superclocked-3800mhz-gddr5-gpu-763mhz-shader-clock-1526mhz-336-cores-2x-dl-dvi-i-mi?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a Nvidia GT 440 yesterday. It performs slightly worse in 3D mark tests than my 9800 GT but it has 1gb rather than 512 video ram if that makes much difference.
    Most importantly it has a lower wattage than my old card which is important as my PSU only provides 375w, and the PC is almost 4 years old now, so has likely degraded some by now.

As I said in the original post I didn't really want to spend a huge amount on a modern card, as my PC is a few years old already at this point and will need replacing in a few years anyway.

I'm not that well versed in PC upgrades, so I try to keep away from opening the PC up, as I don't tend to know exactly what does what inside the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ram on low end cards is senseless padding for the most part, if the processor is too slow to churn out frames how will more textures or higher resolution textures make sense. So no, more ram won't help, it is pure marketing, some of the lowest end cards have silly ram installed to fluff it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I ordered a Nvidia GT 440 yesterday. It performs slightly worse in 3D mark tests than my 9800 GT but it has 1gb rather than 512 video ram if that makes much difference.
    Most importantly it has a lower wattage than my old card which is important as my PSU only provides 375w, and the PC is almost 4 years old now, so has likely degraded some by now.

As I said in the original post I didn't really want to spend a huge amount on a modern card, as my PC is a few years old already at this point and will need replacing in a few years anyway.

I'm not that well versed in PC upgrades, so I try to keep away from opening the PC up, as I don't tend to know exactly what does what inside the case.
    the HD 5670, is cheaper than that, substantially faster, and uses less power. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the HD 5670, is cheaper than that, substantially faster, and uses less power. :(
    Do you sometimes wonder why we bother to give buying advice on this forum? I know I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Do you sometimes wonder why we bother to give buying advice on this forum? I know I do.

Possibly something to do with ignoring the OPs original assertion that he didn't want to change from NVidia to ATi/AMD?

Must say, I'm just looking for a similar replacement card and it quickly became clear that, in that price-range, Radeon cards are far superior to NVidia at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Possibly something to do with ignoring the OPs original assertion that he didn't want to change from NVidia to ATi/AMD?
    Yeah I did notice that but I was also talking about how people end up doing their own thing anyway. I'm not getting at anyone as it's their money at the end of the day. Just saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I did notice that but I was also talking about how people end up doing their own thing anyway. I'm not getting at anyone as it's their money at the end of the day. Just saying.

Uhuh.

Must say, I could easily have posted exactly the same thread as the OP.

I had some issues with ATi cards years ago and then got a couple of NVidia cards and they were perfect so, now it's time for an upgrade, my first thought was to stick with NVidia.
    However, at the £100 price-point, Radeon seem to have far too many available options to simply rule them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it is certainly his money and he must buy what he wants and what he feels comfortable with. but it is a little disheartening when you put in a lot of effort to help someone and they ignore it.

incidentally Si. ATi were bought by AMD in 2006 so things have changed quite a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it is certainly his money and he must buy what he wants and what he feels comfortable with. but it is a little disheartening when you put in a lot of effort to help someone and they ignore it.

incidentally Si. ATi were bought by AMD in 2006 so things have changed quite a bit.

Uhuh, hence...

I think that, like with anything, if people have had a bad experience with something they're likely to default towards something they have had a good experience with instead.

having said that, my next card will almost certainly be a radeon rather than a GeForce, regardless of any "brand loyalty" I might have. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Uhuh, hence...

I think that, like with anything, if people have had a bad experience with something they're likely to default towards something they have had a good experience with instead.

having said that, my next card will almost certainly be a radeon rather than a GeForce, regardless of any "brand loyalty" I might have. :)

i was referring to the fact that you said you had a bad experience with ATi in the past. and saying that you shouldn't worry about this as you return to them as the company has been overhauled. they aren't even called ati any more.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow talk about making something as relatively simple as replacing a graphics card into a complex event!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the contrary, I am very grateful for all the advice I was given yesterday. I learnt a huge amount about graphics cards as a result and what I need to be looking for.

I went from knowing nothing (Didn't know what PSU, or PCI interface was, or what the difference between dual slot or single slot cards was).
    I have only ever used Nvidia cards, and haven't ever had any problems with them, so I preferred to stick to using their cards. I'm sure Radeon cards would work well too, it was just my preference to stick with Nvidia.

I am not as comfortable with the hardware as most people on this forum I am sure, and am slightly worried about things like hardware conflicts, and don't know how to get rid of the old drivers. Sticking with Nvidia reduces these risks somewhat.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow talk about making something as relatively simple as replacing a graphics card into a complex event!

Not according to the OP.
    On the contrary, I am very grateful for all the advice I was given yesterday. I learnt a huge amount about graphics cards as a result and what I need to be looking for.

I went from knowing nothing (Didn't know what PSU, or PCI interface was, or what the difference between dual slot or single slot cards was).
    I have only ever used Nvidia cards, and haven't ever had any problems with them, so I preferred to stick to using their cards. I'm sure Radeon cards would work well too, it was just my preference to stick with Nvidia.

I am not as comfortable with the hardware as most people on this forum I am sure, and am slightly worried about things like hardware conflicts, and don't know how to get rid of the old drivers. Sticking with Nvidia reduces these risks somewhat.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The problem is that you are basing your decision on your limited information.

I'm limiting my risk to cancer by keeping the drapes at knee length, keeping the drapes at knee length reduces the risk of cancer, what do I know about cancer? Nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Look at the mac book air vs netbook thread. Stopped posting when the op in that one admitted they couldn't be bothered..to the point of not learning how to type into the search box of an os to access basic features. Its like..if you don't care, why should I. But some people keep banging their head on the glass trying to "help"...kind of funny.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    .... but doesn't take into account the fact that the PSU is now 4 years old and likely isn't supplying as much power as it used to

:confused: Not how it works at all :D If it's still going ok then it's working as it should be and won't be supplying any less