Blood Donation

2»

Comments

• getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aquamanda wrote: »
    I always rather enjoy giving blood - an hour off work, a packet of crisps and a cuppa, and a lie down. I'm nearly at 60 donations now; if you get to 75, they give you a free meal in London! :D

I'm in N. Ireland, we got a night out with a barbecue when i hit 50 donations.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    To be honest the anaesthetic injection used to hurt me, so I don't mind no having it, if that makes sense!

I know what you mean.

The first time I donated, they gave me an anaesthetic jab, and it bloody well hurt.

I've donated 25 more times, and not had an anaesthetic jab again.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you could get an anaesthetic! I don't think it hurts that much anyway. Although, last time I gave blood, it really hurt when the nurse took the needle out my arm and it bruised like a bitch :D (but that was mainly because my blood flow was slow and it took forever and they had to have the pressure high!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Wow!! 60 donations over how many years?

Over 30 ish years. As a bonus, I understand a donation works off 600 calories, so the lie down and cuppa beats 2 hours in the gym any time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much to all of you that donate blood, I am one of the many lives you have helped to save. Over the years I have had over 10 transfusions, sadly because of heart meds I cannot give blood but I am very grateful to those that do :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you could get an anaesthetic! I don't think it hurts that much anyway. Although, last time I gave blood, it really hurt when the nurse took the needle out my arm and it bruised like a bitch :D (but that was mainly because my blood flow was slow and it took forever and they had to have the pressure high!)

I think the bruising is caused by blood leaking under the skin as opposed to actual tissue damage. I find if you keep plenty of pressure on there once the needle is taken out then there is less bruising.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I think the bruising is caused by blood leaking under the skin as opposed to actual tissue damage. I find if you keep plenty of pressure on there once the needle is taken out then there is less bruising.

Yeah, they kept me on the chair for ages and wouldn't let me leave. I was seen by the sister and everything :D

It bruised as much as she said it would.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came back to donating a few years ago after a break for a decade. Somehow there was always somethong on involving kids and work that stopped me going. I asked for an anesthetic because I am a wimp at heart (despite being in the building trade). I had one, but next time I didn't, and TBH I'm fine with that. I think I'm 60+ donations, but haven't been asked out for a meal or barbie! They did send me something in the post asking if us older donors would help by being involved in publicity campaigns. Sent off my picture, but I'm guessing they will decide a monster off Doctor Who would scare the kids less ;)
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    I came back to donating a few years ago after a break for a decade. Somehow there was always somethong on involving kids and work that stopped me going. I asked for an anesthetic because I am a wimp at heart (despite being in the building trade). I had one, but next time I didn't, and TBH I'm fine with that. I think I'm 60+ donations, but haven't been asked out for a meal or barbie! They did send me something in the post asking if us older donors would help by being involved in publicity campaigns. Sent off my picture, but I'm guessing they will decide a monster off Doctor Who would scare the kids less ;)

Doing my National Service, I, and all our Platoon were "Press Ganged" into donating blood. I must admit that I never Never would have given blood freely, however it turned out to be an experience that was OK. Plus we got a bottle of Guinness or cup of Tea.
    As we were all young Fit and healthy they came 3 times a year and the bonus was I was a different Blood Group from all the others. AB Pos.
    After doing my 2yrs I carried on donating and started my family giving.
    Once laying side by side 4 of us all AB Pos. The doctor stood back called the nurses over and said "We'll never see This again".
    I completed 53 donations and got my Gold Badge but had to Quit due to medical problems.
    I still wouldn't have started donating had I not been forced into it..
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they kept me on the chair for ages and wouldn't let me leave. I was seen by the sister and everything :D

It bruised as much as she said it would.

In about 30 donations the only problem I have had is one time it wouldn't stop bleeding for some reason. I hadn't noticed and as I walked across the hall apparently i was dripping blood and like suddenly half a dozen nurses dived on me and carted me off back to the bed in case I feinted or something, lol