Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Yes people will wait for the trial to see whether he is legally a murderer or not.

Will others accept that regardless of the legal niceities he is a killer?

I doubt it :(
  • Options
    sh@ronsh@ron Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    And no doubt Oscar will not see the inside of a prison so where is the justice.

Um, slightly premature and overblown. :confused:
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost for words over this decision.
    Whole thing shows South Africa in a very bad light.
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like no bail conditions, other than was previously laid out?

Pistorius has been taken down to the cells beneath the court, where he will be processed and released to his family, Lucy Bannerman of the Times reports.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My early prediction ...

When it goes to court it will all be about the golden boy rather than the victim. He will then get a lesser charge of some sort.

His trial will probably focus on whether her death was a consequence of his actions, or a goal of his actions. Lesser charge/sentence if former. A serious charge/sentence if latter.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    The juice (or Blade Runner) is loose.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I really feel it for the parents, they have been so dignified throughout, I doubt I could have been. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JHKfan wrote: »
    Thank goodness. Now will people wait until the trial and LISTEN to the evidence before speculating that he is a murderer? Sadly not in this world (well not in the UK anyway, judging by these forums!) :)

A whole 4 posts and already telling people what to. Way to go :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky now reporting bail conditions will resume...
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel I am now qualified to practice law in South Africa after sitting through all of that.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a danger to intruders and rightly so

Oh yes, I keep forgetting it was an 'intruder' he murdered, silly me. GO OSCAR! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Lost for words over this decision.
    Whole thing shows South Africa in a very bad light.

It certainly does...
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the bail conditions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian
    Summary
    Magistrate Desmond Nair has granted bail to Oscar Pistorius. These were the judge’s main reasons:

• He did not think Pistorius was a flight risk.

• He did not think the prosecution had shown that Pistorius had a propensity for violence.

• He did not think the prosecution had shown their would be public outrage if he were released on bail.

• He did not think the prosecution’s case was so strong that Pistorius’s only reasonable reaction were he released would be to flee.

But he also pointed out holes in Pistorius’s story which may prove important when the case comes to trial:

• Why did he not ascertain Steenkamp's wherabouts?

• Why did he not verify who was in the toilet?

• Why did Steenkamp not scream back from the toilet?

• Why did the deceased and the accused not escape through the bedroom door rather than venture into the toilet?

• Why would the accused venture into danger knowing the intruder was in the toilet, leaving himself open to attack? He returned to the dangerous area. What if the intruder was waiting for him?

And he said he had difficulty with the defence's version of why the accused slept on the other side of the bed from usual that night.

Telegraph
    14.32 Barry Roux, Pistorius' lawyer, says the bail posted is around 250,000 rand (£18,455).
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's beautiful :o
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    It certainly does...

I think that's unfair on SA. There are many other countries (often including the UK) where being rich/famous/popular is a "get out of jail free" card.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Yes, I voluntarily joined 'these forums' to give MY opinion which I am entitled to, as you are yours. Just because I have a different opinion from you does not mean to say that I am incorrect; I am more than entitled to state that certain people on these forums have already made up their mind and are not prepared to change their views should the appropriate evidence arise. I however am prepared to find Oscar guilty of whatever if the prosecution are successful with their case.

You can't say all killings are murders. What about an accidental death at work - murder by employer? What if an employee died at work due to faulty machinery - murder by employer? No (but more than likely manslaughter).

Contrary to belief not everything in this world is in black and white - but if it is where you stay please let me know and I will join you :).
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    It certainly does...

I dont know about "bad light", but it does show how a rich and well connected bloke can flout the law.

Also shows that the cops in SA have serious problems of their own, and may have damaged this case beyond repair, even taking out the political element out of the eqation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 and half grand!!!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    sh@ron wrote: »
    Um, slightly premature and overblown. :confused:

Time will tell.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £18,000 bail to a multi millionaire.

This whole case stinks.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that young lady's poor family see justice done.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Isn't surrendering his passport going to be on the list of bail conditions?

Has anyone asked why Reeva locked the bathroom door?

to get away from him?
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Erm what are all these ********98 etc after people's names when quoting posts?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All rise. Nair returns.

Bail is set at 250,000 rand (£18,450).

Pistorius is not to return to his home. He is not to leave South Africa. He must hand over all passports and report to the Brooklyn police station between 7 and 1 every Monday to Friday.
This discussion has been closed.