Why is ITV so chavy and dumbed down?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
It's not a recent thing either. It's been like this for years but it seems we've hit an all time low in programming.

From the minute you get up it's trashy soap and zelebrity and hollywood gossip and programming aimed at bored housewives. Dumbed down breakfast TVs followed by This Morning which is obsessed with soap and reality tv chit-chat and z list guests, sex change couples and fashion tips like what's the latest handbag or which nail file should I buy and general couch potato crap aimed at people who read National Enquirer and Heat magazine. Nothing of any actual intellect at all.

Then it's Jeremy Kyle interspersed with ads for online bingo and debt management and quick cash adverts. Afternoons are dominated by more gobshatting by Loose Women or other such drivel. Dumbed down quiz shows for thickies, dumbed down news for the less intelligent, and soaps with the occasional good drama. The only thing that ITV are capable of making of any credibility.

Weekends are utter car crash tv rubbish for people who are easily entertained by watching home videos of pillocks falling off ladders, trashy dating shows, z list celebrity game shows or more reality tv rubbish. It really is turn your brain off tv.

As for ITV2 it's all constant repeats of Back to the Future or other films which they show 3 or 4 times a week and programmes featuring orange faced Essex chavs, American trash, back to back soaps and more reality tv, ex reality tv nobodies and generally car crash tv for people with no brains or an appetite for anything remotely intelligent.

What is it with ITV showing such dumbed down brainless garbage all the time? Even back in my youth when the BBC were showing Swap Shop and educational programmes for children with half a brain, ITV were entertaining the easily pleased with idiots throwing custard pies at one another. ITV has always been low brow but it's now morphed into what I can only call, 'chav tv'.

Comments

• finluxfinlux Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    ITV has always been low brow but it's now morphed into what I can only call, 'chav tv'.

Absolutely agree.

Cheap programmes for a cheap channel. I think half the problem is they only cater for "yoof" (with their "obsession" with Z listers) or housewives nowadays. If you're of a certain age, there is precious little to watch.

I feel old now.... :o:D
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thread of the day so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    The stuff they make is cheap and pulls in viewers. ITV's objective is to make money. Not provide quality entertainment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Nailed it all in that post...dumbed down TV for the masses ...which is kinda scary
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC is catching up though - the only things I watch on ITV are Lewis/Endeavour and the British Touring Cars/ I will watch old 60/70/80s stuff on ITV3 though(which is obviously good stuff).

The BBC isn't much better: Sherlock, Dr Who Top Gear, Only Connect, HIGNFY and Mock The Week and that's it all year.

Now Time Team is off Channel 4 I never watch it apart from Utopia.

Just glad I've got Lovefilm Instant and can watch American Drama/Comedy or old BBC drama and comedy.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched anything at all on ITV for years, didn't realise they were still in business. BBC isn't much better and apart from the few programmes mentioned in an earlier post I wouldn't watch the BBC either.

If it wasn't for American stuff like Game of Thrones and Fringe I wouldn't watch TV at all, which is a shame as I'd love to watch UK TV if they could be bothered to make anything that isn't aimed at 14 year old schoolgirls.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd notice if ITV disappeared. I briefly investigated their ITV Player and that only reveals the complete lack of anything worth watching. It really does seem to cater for people who are even too thick to read the Sun.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I started written this thread!

I'm not really sure when ITV started going down this route, but it was probably around the turn of the century.

Presumably there was a high-level executive decision made to go in this direction.

Lets face it, ITV is soulless, these days.

The sooner it disappears, COMPLETELY, the better.

ITV is sh*t!
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still watch this channel?
    I must admit I did use to watch "The Chase",which stood out like a shining beacon compared to most other quiz programs.Even that has now stopped,so I've no reason to tune into this channel anymore.Shame really,it used to be so much better.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    ITV4 sometimes show good movies, but they too seem to have them on a loop. They also keep showing the atrocious Steven Siegal and Van Damme movies.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I disagree with this statement. At the moment ITV is better than both BBC1 and C4 for quality,recent documentaries on the workhouse and working class life in the north for example shown at peak time for example.The Perspective series and Exposure also better than anything the BBC has done this year, the upcoming series on Murdoch also looks interesting.

If you look at any other commercial channel throughout the world you will see ITV is a beacon of quality compared to any ive seen.

Obviously ITV need to make money by getting people to watch the programmes,they spend a billion pounds in production around the UK and employ 1000s of people.

Some of the above comments are unfair.
  • Stephen AStephen A Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that ITV1 has virtually nothing worth watching.

However, ITV4 is great for all those who want to watch sports which aren't covered elsewhere. The last 3 weeks have been a real highlight with the fantastic coverage of the Tour de France.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stuff they make is cheap and pulls in viewers. ITV's objective is to make money. Not provide quality entertainment.

This is true, but the key phrase is 'pulls in viewers'. Truth is, we can moan all we like, but I fear we get the tv that we deserve. Whenever there is serious drama on the tv, or fascinating documentaries, by and large they struggle in the ratings.

Commercial channels, by definition, must get the ratings and the way to do that is to produce material appealing to the lowest common denominator. Works very well for them.

:(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that the "cheap and chavy" programmes are on ITV as that means they are all in one place leaving others channels to broadcast some decent material.

Apart from the Champions League football, I can't remember the last thing I watched on ITV.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    The days of The World at War, Jewel in the Crown, Brideshead Revisted, Weekend World, University Challenge etc. are long gone on ITV1 and they have an even trashier channel in ITV2. As with many things in Britain, the rot set in with Thatcher and awarding the ITV franchises on money, not quality.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    The BBC isn't much better: Sherlock, Dr Who Top Gear, Only Connect, HIGNFY and Mock The Week and that's it all year.

All of those are far better than anything on any of the ITV channels.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a recent thing either. It's been like this for years but it seems we've hit an all time low in programming.

From the minute you get up it's trashy soap and zelebrity and hollywood gossip and programming aimed at bored housewives. Dumbed down breakfast TVs followed by This Morning which is obsessed with soap and reality tv chit-chat and z list guests, sex change couples and fashion tips like what's the latest handbag or which nail file should I buy and general couch potato crap aimed at people who read National Enquirer and Heat magazine. Nothing of any actual intellect at all.

Then it's Jeremy Kyle interspersed with ads for online bingo and debt management and quick cash adverts. Afternoons are dominated by more gobshatting by Loose Women or other such drivel. Dumbed down quiz shows for thickies, dumbed down news for the less intelligent, and soaps with the occasional good drama. The only thing that ITV are capable of making of any credibility.

Weekends are utter car crash tv rubbish for people who are easily entertained by watching home videos of pillocks falling off ladders, trashy dating shows, z list celebrity game shows or more reality tv rubbish. It really is turn your brain off tv.

As for ITV2 it's all constant repeats of Back to the Future or other films which they show 3 or 4 times a week and programmes featuring orange faced Essex chavs, American trash, back to back soaps and more reality tv, ex reality tv nobodies and generally car crash tv for people with no brains or an appetite for anything remotely intelligent.

What is it with ITV showing such dumbed down brainless garbage all the time? Even back in my youth when the BBC were showing Swap Shop and educational programmes for children with half a brain, ITV were entertaining the easily pleased with idiots throwing custard pies at one another. ITV has always been low brow but it's now morphed into what I can only call, 'chav tv'.

Broadcasters will always go for what gets a lot of people tuning in. They don't care whether or not it's respectable TV, just so long as what they show brings in the viewers. These shows that you've mentioned in your post, they must attract a lot of daytime viewers otherwise they'd be taken off air. The more viewers they get for things, the more adverts are shown during the advert breaks. This 'dumbed down TV' must be what appeals to a lot of the viewers out there. There can't be serious stuff on all the time, people have different likes and dislikes. What you think is crap, others might think is good. It's all about variety.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched 5 mins of This Morning today - this has to be THE most dumbed-down show on television at the moment.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    Have to say I disagree with this statement. At the moment ITV is better than both BBC1 and C4 for quality,recent documentaries on the workhouse and working class life in the north for example shown at peak time for example.The Perspective series and Exposure also better than anything the BBC has done this year, the upcoming series on Murdoch also looks interesting.

If you look at any other commercial channel throughout the world you will see ITV is a beacon of quality compared to any ive seen.

Obviously ITV need to make money by getting people to watch the programmes,they spend a billion pounds in production around the UK and employ 1000s of people.

Some of the above comments are unfair.

I think it's just a case of some think it's terrible because TV broadcasters don't stick to showing serious stuff on TV. Kids and young people don't want to see serious stuff, they want entertaining things. I'm in my late thirties and I don't always want to watch serious things. The balance at the minute is good. If the above posters don't like what's on these channels at certain times, they can easily switch to another channel outside of the 1-6 ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the idea of even checking the schedules to see how bad ITV is makes me squirm, the above looks unerringly accurate, The fact is (and surely this isn't even a matter of opinion?) that the once scoffed at Channel Five is now nowhere near as uniformally lowest common denominator as ITV is nowadays. When I was a kid, ITV regularly had iconic shows, but it has now been on a long downward spiral for at least thirty years.

Fortunately, I never had any deep love for ITV, even at its best, as the BBC was always where the better stuff could be found, especially BBC2. I'm more disappointed in Channel 4 which was once guaranteed to provide most of my evening's viewing, but then brought Big Brother to us and everything went downhill from that point.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That new thing with the celebrities pretending to be singers is worthwhile and interesting though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member

gobshatting

:D:)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bloody brilliant post. Every word is so true. If I am off and have the telly on I put on the ITV3 dramas. So sick of all this chav bollox. All the adverts for Foxy Bingo and the like make me want to poke my own eyes out. Though I don't mind repeats of Back to the Future!
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't entirely disagree with your assertion. ITV really does pander to the masses a lot of the time, going for the lowest common denominator.

However, I can't help noticing that it has really upped its game lately, with quite a sprinking of entertaining, decent enough dramas. As for the soaps (granted some people may not think much of that type of programming in general), ITV has been beating the Beeb's ar*e in that department. Corrie is far better than EE at the moment (many viewers would share that opinion).

As for chasing the ratings by dumbing down, the Beeb does this to quite an extent (even though it has less commercial pressure to do so). Channel 4 does for sure. It used to be a daring channel (in an intelligent way), now it comes across like an immature teenager who thinks he's being really cool and liberal (when really he's merely being puerile and smutty).

Having said that, I still think the Beeb produces plenty of excellent TV, the docs on BBC Two and Four being obvious examples. And Channel 4 still has quality output, here and there.
  • bahhhhbahhhh Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Because its target audience is chavvy and dumbed down!:cool: