Options

Sia

Comments

• Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Watch the mysterious singer perform new single' the BBC website says.

There's nothing mysterious about her at all. We all know what she looks like. I became a fan during her Zero 7 days. Why she has to distract from her obvious musical talent is beyond me!
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    I think it is extremely arrogant of anyone to expect the public to pay for their music etc, whilst deeming themselves too precious to be seen/recognised. Seal has terrible skin problems; it makes no difference to his talent. Stevie Wonder is blind; it makes no difference to his talent. Ian Dury had spinal bifida; it made no difference to his talent. Rick Allen had one arm: it made no difference to his talent.

I buy music because i like the Song/Voice not because i can see there face
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Watch the mysterious singer perform new single' the BBC website says.

There's nothing mysterious about her at all. We all know what she looks like. I became a fan during her Zero 7 days. Why she has to distract from her obvious musical talent is beyond me!

Nobody knows the reason why she does it but i think it maybe related to the album
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy music because i like the Song/Voice not because i can see there face

Yeah but buying music and watching someone perform are two different things. I find it very disengaging not being able to see her face on stage as she performs. Facial expressions convey a lot of emotion so from that angle at least I always find her live performances a little lacking (certainly when compared to her past performances, before she started hiding her face).
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a vague memory of reading she was stalked in her early days and totally withdrew from the industry. She only came back a few years back and then had a fear of performing in public.

Hell, Van Morrison depending on the mood he is in, will stand with his back to the audience the whole gig.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked bloody silly what a weirdo.
  • Options
    CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great song though
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody knows the reason why she does it but i think it maybe related to the album

It's because, as sad as it is to say, her face doesn't fit as a pop artist, and also at 39 she's too old. All of these things, using 'gimmicks', will have been record company decisions to distract away from this, you can bet your life on that. Sia sounds like a black girl in her 20s (i.e. Rihanna) when she looks like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sia_%28musician%29#/media/File:Sia_Seattle.jpg It's cruel to say, but it's a cruel industry and it just wouldn't work.

Thank god for David Guetta though because if it wasn't for him including Sia's original vocals on Titanium she would never have had the chance to come through. Because he did that people HAD to know who she was and wanted to hear more from her.

Hopefully now she's really established herself she will be able to show her face in promotion next time around. :)
  • Options
    DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    My favourite Sia performance was this one from October 2008 https://youtu.be/t7_lCstFYiY in which you can see her face.

Most female pop stars are deemed irrelevant by the time they hit 30 especially with Radio 1 chasing a 15-24 demographic. Sia's commercial breakthrough with Titanium happened when she was 35 and she'll be 40 later this year so to still be playlisted on Radio 1 is a big acheivement. Maybe she hides her face in part so as not to frighten the fickle teenies.

Of course success is good but fame has its downsides. If you can have the former without the latter so much the better.
  • Options
    DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    It's because, as sad as it is to say, her face doesn't fit as a pop artist, and also at 39 she's too old.

You said what I was trying to say better and four minutes earlier :p
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because, as sad as it is to say, her face doesn't fit as a pop artist, and also at 39 she's too old. All of these things, using 'gimmicks', will have been record company decisions to distract away from this, you can bet your life on that. Sia sounds like a black girl in her 20s (i.e. Rihanna) when she looks like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sia_%28musician%29#/media/File:Sia_Seattle.jpg It's cruel to say, but it's a cruel industry and it just wouldn't work.

Thank god for David Guetta though because if it wasn't for him including Sia's original vocals on Titanium she would never have had the chance to come through. Because he did that people HAD to know who she was and wanted to hear more from her.

Hopefully now she's really established herself she will be able to show her face in promotion next time around. :)

How old is Madonna though?

I think it is really odd that Sia wants to hide her face and not be famous because she thinks that being famous is bad. But she is happy to make an 11/ 12 year old girl really famous by having her dance in all her videos and on the Grammy awards. Surely if being famous is that terrible, she shouldn't do it to a young girl?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it is really odd that Sia wants to hide her face and not be famous because she thinks that being famous is bad. But she is happy to make an 11/ 12 year old girl really famous by having her dance in all her videos and on the Grammy awards. Surely if being famous is that terrible, she shouldn't do it to a young girl?

Maddie is the dancer, she appears on the show Dance Moms. Its based around a dance studio, Maddie 12 is seen as a star and will make it as a top dancer, oh and she models So of course she will want all the exposure she can get. In fact from the show alone she has millions of followers online before the Sia video. So it is not some unknown little girl pulled into the limelight.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Maddie is the dancer, she appears on the show Dance Moms. Its based around a dance studio, Maddie 12 is seen as a star and will make it as a top dancer, oh and she models So of course she will want all the exposure she can get. In fact from the show alone she has millions of followers online before the Sia video. So it is not some unknown little girl pulled into the limelight.

maddie has a sister called mackenzie she is a dancer/singer
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple fact is, rightly or wrongly, Sia is about to hit 40 and radio will gradually refuse to play her records. By hiding her face it keeps the mystique and it could be that radio continue playing as she appears ageless. It's a clever marketing ploy. Cynical, but clever.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ?

Radio 1 have refused to playlist Madonna and most of her album campaign this era has seen her have to cope with all sorts of ageist insults. When she fell at the Brits 'Granny Madge' trended. The whole focus of people laughing and poking fun at the fall was because of her age.

I love Sia and while she is a talent I'm pleased people now know of its only happened because her label have kept her face away from her music since she hit the big time. If the teens buying her music knew she was 40 I doubt they would be interested but as Monk said Sia sounds like a black 20 year old so the mystery has helped her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually was flicking channels at the time & low & behold I turned it into BBC1 when this idiot was on.

I couldn't believe my eyes, a modern day clown singing behind a hat with dangling horsehair so you couldn't see them, well apart from the nose.

I ran & got the whole family to come & watch, we all laughed together, Ant & Dec might actually get a laugh if they have this idiot on.

Getting over the look, the voice wasn't that great & the song was sh*t.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hootie wrote: »
    I actually was flicking channels at the time & low & behold I turned it into BBC1 when this idiot was on.

I couldn't believe my eyes, a modern day clown singing behind a hat with dangling horsehair so you couldn't see them, well apart from the nose.

I ran & got the whole family to come & watch, we all laughed together, Ant & Dec might actually get a laugh if they have this idiot on.

Getting over the look, the voice wasn't that great & the song was sh*t.

Someone wouldn't know a fantastic voice if it hit them, being you Hootie. This idiot has sold millions of records/downloads. Oh and the song she sang already been a worldwide hit including the UK. Oh and come on do tell what talent do you have that will make you £££££ and have people talking about you for years?
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »

But a lot more people watched the Grammys or have watched Sia's videos than people who watch Dance Moms
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a lot more people watched the Grammys or have watched Sia's videos than people who watch Dance Moms

..........and? :confused:
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very strange lady gaga influence?

Actually Sia has been doing these kind of things for years - way before the Lady GaGa persona even existed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    A magnificent voice. I don't mind the quirky nature of hiding her appearance too, though I do think that has as much to do with her age as trying to avoid the limelight. Her years sounds younger than her years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    think shes on either graham norton/johnathon ross this weekend hope she dosent wear a lampshade again a fancy mask would look better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    think shes on either graham norton/johnathon ross this weekend hope she dosent wear a lampshade again a fancy mask would look better

she is on graham norton show which starts next weekend ,he mentioned it at the end of the eurovision show yeasterday,
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Sia's first single around 17 years ago. It got pretty high in the charts. And about 7 years ago I was in Manchester seeing an indie band at the Academy. They were crap but I noticed Sia was on at the Academy but a different stage. After the concert, me and a few mates were in a kebab shop and got talking to a woman. She was aussie. She asked what we'd been to see and I said I was dissapointed and wished I'd gone to see Sia instead. I asked if she knew who Sia was and she then laughed and said she was Sia. I looked and then realised she was and how stupid I looked. We all fell about laughing but she was really nice and wasn't shy or trying to hide her face then.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sia is looking lovely.:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3230255/Sia-delivers-inspiring-message-recovery-celebrates-five-years-sobriety.html

''Australian songstress Sia has celebrated achieving five years of sobriety with a rallying and heartfelt message to others battling addictions.

'5 years sober today. If you're newly sober, keep at it, it gets so so awesome. YOU CAN DO IT,' the 39-year-old wrote on Twitter on Thursday.''